What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
TV Deal - imo we can't judge yet.

We wouldn't be going into 2027 with 9 games to sell IF the game didn't extend long term. Nor could the purchases get made that are helping the bottomline.

Stadium losses - We have seen the AFL who never lose out. Have a big blow with Gabba and looks like Tasmania too. It isn't good but I am not sure anyone else gets those across the line.

I can't hold that against him because that is higher up.

The club bosses and funding go together - NRL got rid of Development Officers where there was duplication. Clubs are handling that so rightful should be paid extra for that.

as @The_Wookie said holding back funding is to do with power than anything. I'd back QRL IF their cries for more money was for grassroots but it is to give QCup teams extra money. So that like the TV we need to see the outcome to judge.

Too much power to RLPA that is true but what sport doesn't give players too much power. The players know that the game needs them and so do administrators
He’s just another angry cowboys fan because of png sharing cairns

Vee

First Grade
I’m not too fussed with any of those bar the TV deal. Massive f**k up there. Not sure you can pin the stadium losses on him. Not many options in front of you when governments break promises apart from threatening to shift the GF. NSW government will just outbid the other states which is far cheaper than an Accor rebuild.
I guess that's my point, don't bluff moving the GF. If they break their promises, there's got to be consequences. The NSW Government played him off the break. You're welcome to your opinion, that's mine.

It is hard because we don't know the figures for TV. But let's assume you are right in this deal is unders. Look at the alternative.

sign a reduced 2-3 year deal takes us to 2024.

No Dolphins
No buying hotels or Vegas

New deal starts in 2025. Dolphins would be looking to start 2025 or 2026. That deal would go to 2029. You are probably looking at Team 18 for 2028.

In 2028 as it stands the next TV deal is into it's 2nd year with a 9th game and looking to expand further. On top of close to $1b in revenue

I don't think the game would be better in 2028 under that alternate model
The fact that we don’t know the TV figure is an issue in itself. Anyhow, we can only judge by what our main rival did (they're the best yardstick to judge by) which was not to renegotiate during the insanity of covid period. So I struggle to give him a pass mark in that regard

I guess that's my point, don't bluff moving the GF. If they break their promises, there's got to be consequences. The NSW Government played him off the break. You're welcome to your opinion, that's mine.
I don’t think he could genuinely accept a lower offer to move the GF just to spite the government though, could he?

Iamback

Coach
The fact that we don’t know the TV figure is an issue in itself. Anyhow, we can only judge by what our main rival did (they're the best yardstick to judge by) which was not to renegotiate during the insanity of covid period. So I struggle to give him a pass mark in that regard

Even their numbers are unknown too, That was my point in a couple of years through the reporting how much of their's is for the Stadium upgrades and so on.

We can compare that cash to NRL cash but better still the next NRL deal goes until 2032. Theirs ends up 2031 so we will see where the new NRL deal starts in comparison.

I haven't given a pass mark. More a TBA until we have more information

I haven't seen or heard anything that tells me that they aren't money driven at this point. So I can't believe there were better options but this is still a tba

Canard

Immortal
It is hard because we don't know the figures for TV. But let's assume you are right in this deal is unders. Look at the alternative.

sign a reduced 2-3 year deal takes us to 2024.

No Dolphins
No buying hotels or Vegas

New deal starts in 2025. Dolphins would be looking to start 2025 or 2026. That deal would go to 2029. You are probably looking at Team 18 for 2028.

In 2028 as it stands the next TV deal is into it's 2nd year with a 9th game and looking to expand further. On top of close to $1b in revenue

I don't think the game would be better in 2028 under that alternate model
Demand more money from the network that is solely reliant on the NRL for subscriptions in the QLD and NSW is the answer.

Accepting less, just to keep Foxtel afloat is not our codes business.

Canard

Immortal
Up to 2 million allowed over the cap is what’s needed

that would mean every club would have to follow

the increase in junior funding would come from clubs and leagues clubs so wouldn’t cost the game a cent

provides more incentive to invest in juniors vs transfer fee
What defines a junior? Even that article has no idea.

Vilame Kikau was not and never was a Panthers junior for example. Similarly with others on that list.

Iamback

Coach
Demand more money from the network that is solely reliant on the NRL for subscriptions in the QLD and NSW is the answer.

Assuming there were others interested?

Cricket re-signed with a network that was suing them, It isn't like there are networks lining up for Australian sports

Canard

Immortal
Assuming there were others interested?

Cricket re-signed with a network that was suing them, It isn't like there are networks lining up for Australian sports
Cricket is damaged goods at the moment.

The Big Bash is limping along, International cricket is dead outside the big 3.

Fox needs the NRL more then we need them. They should have paid up.

Iamback

Coach
Cricket is damaged goods at the moment.

The Big Bash is limping along, International cricket is dead outside the big 3.

Fox needs the NRL more then we need them. They should have paid up.

In theory yes reality is Fox would have a number that is too high and they walk away.

If there are no back up in place then you are left crawling back with your tail between your legs and take a further reduced offer.

So without another bidder to put against them that doesn't work

They paid up to cover Dolphins
Ch9 would of added extra for the womens SOO to be exclusive.

So they are paying for more content, We haven't had to resort to qtrs yet. So that is a positive too

Canard

Immortal
In theory yes reality is Fox would have a number that is too high and they walk away.

If there are no back up in place then you are left crawling back with your tail between your legs and take a further reduced offer.

So without another bidder to put against them that doesn't work

They paid up to cover Dolphins
Ch9 would of added extra for the womens SOO to be exclusive.

So they are paying for more content, We haven't had to resort to qtrs yet. So that is a positive too

Our game deserves to get the maximum possible TV deal.

The viability of the broadcaster, especially one that is worth more then the GDP of Australia, is not our concern.

And it clearly wasn't the AFLs

It’s not but it’s in our interest to help keep them viable given there’s no alternative cash cow atm

Canard

Immortal
It’s not but it’s in our interest to help keep them viable given there’s no alternative cash cow atm
It's really not. Especially given how rich their parent company is

It was proven that this was just a bargaining tool anyway, and we got suckered. They turned around a year later and paid through the nose for Aussie Rules.

It's OK to be critical of our games admin

It was proven that this was just a bargaining tool anyway, and we got suckered. They turned around a year later and paid through the nose for Aussie Rules.

Not denying any of that. I was kinda reminded of the ‘don’t bite the hand that feeds you’ saying from your post

Wb1234

Referee
He was focused in getting the game restarted

he was worried broadcasters were going to sue for breach of contract for failing to provide games

He was mocked by everyone for trying to start the game early

signing that long term deal was a mistake and he’s hinted as much saying his first regret was stopping the nrl in the 1st place

regardless he’s on the path to a 20 team nrl that will underpin growth for decades

we’ve had one decent tv deal since league most are usually well behind afl

the next tv deal should surpass afl

Iamback

Coach

IF the deal plays out as you say. I will be very critical but it is all just guess work as to what both sports got paid

That parent company didn't make a play for the NBA and doesn't show NHL. So it seems they are tightening their belt

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don’t think he could genuinely accept a lower offer to move the GF just to spite the government though, could he?
Who says he had to accept a lower offer?

He easily could have got a decent offer out of the other states if they were allowed to negotiate on equal terms with NSW. QLD is the only other state that made an actual offer (before PVL's time TBF), and they had to do the equivalent of cold calling the NRL and weren't given the right to respond to NSW's offer. VIC publicly expressed interest in bidding, but were seemingly never given a official avenue to do so.

It's also extremely hard to argue that turning the GF into an event that moves like the Superbowl wouldn't benefit the NRL massively. You're basically reduced to arguing that it's tradition, and that's a terrible argument.

The truth is that the threat of stripping the GF off Sydney was a bluff that the Sydney-centric boomers that control this sport had no intention of following through on, and you should never make threats you aren't willing to follow through on.

Latest posts