What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

colly

Juniors
It's really not. Especially given how rich their parent company is

It was proven that this was just a bargaining tool anyway, and we got suckered. They turned around a year later and paid through the nose for Aussie Rules.

It's OK to be critical of our games admin
We will find out soon enough , prob around 22 feb 2024 the new deals just opened are reported for AFL and the NRL I am quietly confident that on a straight TV and Pay TV ( only) deal basis the NRL will come out top!
If so, why such debbie downers.

Wb1234

Referee
Who says he had to accept a lower offer?

He easily could have got a decent offer out of the other states if they were allowed to negotiate on equal terms with NSW. QLD is the only other state that made an actual offer (before PVL's time TBF), and they had to do the equivalent of cold calling the NRL and weren't given the right to respond to NSW's offer. VIC publicly expressed interest in bidding, but were seemingly never given a official avenue to do so.

It's also extremely hard to argue that turning the GF into an event that moves like the Superbowl wouldn't benefit the NRL massively. You're basically reduced to arguing that it's tradition, and that's a terrible argument.

The truth is that the threat of stripping the GF off Sydney was a bluff that the Sydney-centric boomers that control this sport had no intention of following through on, and you should never make threats you aren't willing to follow through on.
Not all wrong but your Sydney centric boomer is focused on expansion in qld and making sure qld
Stay strong in origin

Iamback

Coach
We will find out soon enough , prob around 22 feb 2024 the new deals just opened are reported for AFL and the NRL I am quietly confident that on a straight TV and Pay TV ( only) deal basis the NRL will come out top!

Alot of people seem to be including the Telstra side of it too.

Which is fair on a revenue basis but incorrect when comparing Fox v Fox

Iamback

Coach

He easily could have got a decent offer out of the other states if they were allowed to negotiate on equal terms with NSW. QLD is the only other state that made an actual offer (before PVL's time TBF), and they had to do the equivalent of cold calling the NRL and weren't given the right to respond to NSW's offer. VIC publicly expressed interest in bidding, but were seemingly never given a official avenue to do so.

It's also extremely hard to argue that turning the GF into an event that moves like the Superbowl wouldn't benefit the NRL massively. You're basically reduced to arguing that it's tradition, and that's a terrible argument.

The truth is that the threat of stripping the GF off Sydney was a bluff that the Sydney-centric boomers that control this sport had no intention of following through on, and you should never make threats you aren't willing to follow through on.

We went through this at the time. Capacity, more corporate support and more teams fan bases means NSW will outbid everyone.

Origin you have state worth of fans, GF you only have 2 sides and those fans won't know until the week before who makes it

I don’t have an issue with the GF moving. I just don’t think Vlad or any other boss would accept a lower offer just to spite the government. That was the context of the post I responded to. I’m sure the stakeholders wouldn’t let him anyway. And yes, I agree. Don’t make threats you can’t back up

MugaB

Coach
I don’t have an issue with the GF moving. I just don’t think Vlad or any other boss would accept a lower offer just to spite the government. That was the context of the post I responded to. I’m sure the stakeholders wouldn’t let him anyway. And yes, I agree. Don’t make threats you can’t back up
What happens when they move it, and NSW govt feel like they didn't miss much, as the winning city didn't do much with it?

The_Wookie

Bench
Alot of people seem to be including the Telstra side of it too.

Joint announcement, same press conference, bundled in the total announced by the AFL. Thats probably why.
People wont include AFL radio rights either, even though Radio rights are part of the NRL deal.

There is no apples v apples comparison.

You wont know. The NRL wont announce broadcast revenue. Just like it hasnt every year since Vlandys took over. Neither side have posted Foxtels contributions. The AFL hasnt even posted the Telstra component.

So it comes down to Total Revenue reported. And the NRL isnt coming out on top there.

Reactions: abc

Iamback

Coach
Joint announcement, same press conference, bundled in the total announced by the AFL. Thats probably why.
People wont include AFL radio rights either, even though Radio rights are part of the NRL deal.

You wont know. The NRL wont announce broadcast revenue. Just like it hasnt every year since Vlandys took over. Neither side have posted Foxtels contributions. The AFL hasnt even posted the Telstra component.

So it comes down to Total Revenue reported. And the NRL isnt coming out on top there.

Telstra doesn't report it either?

The_Wookie

Bench
Telstra doesn't report it either?

AFL announced a revised deal had been finalised with Foxtel, while the Telstra deal had remained unchanged.

What Im not clear on is whether the 2018 deal was altered when Kayo took all the streaming rights and whether the "unchanged" part was a modification from the adjustment to streaming rights - i think the value may be the same, but a lot of that will now be contra work at Marvel. If not then its 50m a year as signed on

The Telstra arrangement remains unchanged and McLachlan thanked Telstra CEO Andy Penn for his ongoing commitment to the game and building a digital audience which is at record levels.

Iamback

Coach
AFL announced a revised deal had been finalised with Foxtel, while the Telstra deal had remained unchanged. What Im not clear on is whether the 2018 deal was altered when Kayo took all the streaming rights. If not then its 50m a year.

That is what I remember at the time. I am hoping we get enough from the other partners to atleast get closer to the mark.

I am fine with the deal because the NRL is able to do what it wants. Not sure it does that with shorter lengths

BUT if we want to get a true gauge on PVL performance then getting it is a key part if not the most important

colly

Juniors
Se

Settle down we know the AFL has the biggest total revenue , never said it doesn't. We will see how they present this time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is hard because we don't know the figures for TV. But let's assume you are right in this deal is unders. Look at the alternative.

sign a reduced 2-3 year deal takes us to 2024.

No Dolphins
No buying hotels or Vegas

New deal starts in 2025. Dolphins would be looking to start 2025 or 2026. That deal would go to 2029. You are probably looking at Team 18 for 2028.

In 2028 as it stands the next TV deal is into it's 2nd year with a 9th game and looking to expand further. On top of close to $1b in revenue

I don't think the game would be better in 2028 under that alternate model
personally I’d of rather waited two years for those things and got an extra $150mill a year for the next 5 years! But that’s just me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think he could genuinely accept a lower offer to move the GF just to spite the government though, could he?
I doubt it’d be a lower offer. I’m sure Perth, brisbane and melbourne would all match ir better what nsw is offering. reality is nrl aren’t moving the gf from Sydney, fan and media blow up would be huge for them, and the nsw govt know it.

Latest posts