What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
No. The 17th team already added 12 games, as will any other team that is added. Two new teams adds 24 games, so one ads 12.

Depending on where the team is placed, the 18th team will add similar or less (if PNG) than the Dolphins added.
Id say there is also value in the 9th time slot being stand alone though. $15mill or so for the 12 games plus $15-20mill for the extra slot wouldn't be far off I suspect. If we want $100mil plus we need three bidders battling for it, and for Vlandys not to just hand his NSW racing mates an extension again!

Iamback

Coach
No. The 17th team already added 12 games, as will any other team that is added. Two new teams adds 24 games, so one ads 12.

Depending on where the team is placed, the 18th team will add similar or less (if PNG) than the Dolphins added.

Ok the 9th timeslot then. Is alot more valuable than $20m

It isn't where it is placed. It is having a 3rd game on say Sunday.

There are also only 10 NRLW teams, At some stage they will go out to match the men. So that adds value too

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Id say there is also value in the 9th time slot being stand alone though. $15mill or so for the 12 games plus $15-20mill for the extra slot wouldn't be far off I suspect. If we want $100mil plus we need three bidders battling for it, and for Vlandys not to just hand his NSW racing mates an extension again!

You didn't answer my question what was the covid figure.

The next 2 years are already up where the game would be if it extended for 2 years got to this stage.

In what world does the Chairman make the decisions?

The board members would vote for almost every decision made

Perth Red

Post Whore
You didn't answer my question what was the covid figure.

The next 2 years are already up where the game would be if it extended for 2 years got to this stage.

In what world does the Chairman make the decisions?

The board members would vote for almost every decision made
I cant tell you as Vlandys hides away the figures. I wonder why the commission prior to him becoming chair had no issues showing us revenue detail like tv $'s, but as soon as he took over it got hidden away? Hmmm.

What I can tell you is the licensing revenue line dropped by $71.1mill in 2020 compared to 2019 and was back up to 2019 level in 2021.

lol yeh sure, Vlandys isnt running the show with the tick box commissioners running behind. Vlandys did the negotiations, he'd have presented it to the commission who were dumb in signing it off. Only Greenberg (allegedly) stood up and said dont extend, and look where that got him.

Iamback

Coach
I cant tell you as Vlandys hides away the figures. I wonder why the commission prior to him becoming chair had no issues showing us revenue detail like tv $'s, but as soon as he took over it got hidden away? Hmmm.

What I can tell you is the licensing revenue line dropped by $71.1mill in 2020 compared to 2019 and was back up to 2019 level in 2021.

lol yeh sure, Vlandys isnt running the show with the tick box commissioners running behind. Vlandys did the negotiations, he'd have presented it to the commission who were dumb in signing it off. Only Greenberg (allegedly) stood up and said dont extend, and look where that got him.

You didn't answer the question. How much higher is the TV deal compared to covid reductions

$100m less per year?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You didn't answer the question. How much higher is the TV deal compared to covid reductions

$100m less per year?
Because I cant, I dont know what the NRL tv revenue was in 2020 and 2021 as they hide the figures. All I can tell you is the license revenue which is a combination of tv, gambling, merch and digital revenue. Plus we dont yet know what this years revenue lines are. Should know in next 3 or 4 weeks.

Last tv deal 2018-2022 was an avg cash component of around $356mill a year according to announcement's.
Yr 1 of new deal - 2018 tv only $318mill
2019 Licensing $403mill
2020 Licensing $332mil
2021 Licensing $405mill
2022 Licensing $409mill

Yr 1 of new deal 2023?

Iamback

Coach
Because I cant, I dont know what the NRL tv revenue was in 2020 and 2021 as they hide the figures. All I can tell you is the license revenue which is a combination of tv, gambling, merch and digital revenue. Plus we dont yet know what this years revenue lines are. Should know in next 3 or 4 weeks.

Last tv deal 2018-2022 was an avg cash component of around $356mill a year according to announcement's.
2019 Licensing $403mill
2020 Licensing $332mil
2021 Licensing $405mill
2022 Licensing $409mill

Yr 1 of new deal 2023?

Well then it is redundant having this conversation because we need to know what the Covid amount was.

Your argument is we should of done a 2 year continuation of that and pushed everything back 2 years... without knowing the comparison then it can't be done.

I am not surprised though you have glossed over the AFL taking $50-80m less a year to stay with the current 7/Fox as opposed to going to Paramount/10

That is $350m-$560m over the course of the deal. if the shoe was on the other foot the whinging would never stop

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well then it is redundant having this conversation because we need to know what the Covid amount was.

Your argument is we should of done a 2 year continuation of that and pushed everything back 2 years... without knowing the comparison then it can't be done.

I am not surprised though you have glossed over the AFL taking $50-80m less a year to stay with the current 7/Fox as opposed to going to Paramount/10

That is $350m-$560m over the course of the deal. if the shoe was on the other foot the whinging would never stop
My argument is we should have agreed 2020 reduction, renegotiated for 2021 if covid still an issue, would have been back to normal 2022 and in the mean time gone to open market in in late 2021 as covid was passing for the 2023 rights. He gave Ch9 5 years at no extra cost and gave Fox an extension for no net gain after Dolphins cost taken out. 5 years of what amounted to no real increase from Australian TV. Shocking deal.

We dont know what the chj10/paramount cash contra split was or what the contra value component of fox/7 is.
The report is ch10 bid $600mill for AFL, ch9 bid $500mill. They are both much higher than the $400mill we accepted, which included $32mill of Sky NZ money.

So australian tv only paid us $375mill or there abouts. Compared to $520-550mill cash AFL got that is pathetic outcome, how you cant see that I dont know.

Jamberoo

Juniors
From this year there is a new ratings system that will prioritise reach rather than those who watch more than 50% of a program - this is apparently what advertisers look for and will no doubt work in the AFL’s favour due to their longer games and overlapping time slots. There was an article saying that one of the reasons Nine agreed to the changes is that NRL ratings will likely slip behind AFL under this system and Nine will use this as justification to pay less in the next deal. That article was in The Age (owned by Nine) and has since been removed. This is the best explanation I can find:

Iamback

Coach
From this year there is a new ratings system that will prioritise reach rather than those who watch more than 50% of a program - this is apparently what advertisers look for and will no doubt work in the AFL’s favour due to their longer games and overlapping time slots. There was an article saying that one of the reasons Nine agreed to the changes is that NRL ratings will likely slip behind AFL under this system and Nine will use this as justification to pay less in the next deal. That article was in The Age (owned by Nine) and has since been removed. This is the best explanation I can find:

That tin foil hat theory might be true IF ch9 didn't want to win the ratings.

They 'let' ch7 win for 30 weeks then that hurts the bottom line across the board

Perth Red

Post Whore
Might explain the expansion 'turbo charging' to 20 teams. we need more content to keep pace.

The_Wookie

Bench

Rankings are changing to a reach rather than average. This absolutely hurts the NRLs ratings position. At present the system isnt counting Fox or Kayo either, and is apparently miscounting the BVOD numbers, so this season promises to f**kin hilarious from a ratings perspective.

You can look forward to shit like this

No more 5 cities, no more regional/metro. You get Reach/Total TV/BVOD (the latter two averaged)

MugaB

Coach

Wrong bid pal, thats the my left foot bid team your talking about, stay on topic hawhaw

Iamback

Coach
Rankings are changing to a reach rather than average. This absolutely hurts the NRLs ratings position. At present the system isnt counting Fox or Kayo either, and is apparently miscounting the BVOD numbers, so this season promises to f**kin hilarious from a ratings perspective.

No more 5 cities, no more regional/metro. You get Reach/Total TV/BVOD (the latter two averaged)

Ch9 will get some crazy numbers for the Olympics with how many people would put it briefly on a channel

Vlad59

Bench

So basically now it’s all nonsense. Great pity. Ratings were always fun.

2019 Licensing $403mill
2020 Licensing $332mil
2021 Licensing $405mill
2022 Licensing $409mill

Yr 1 of new deal 2023?
For the last couple of years you have sprouted “your expert Figures” as if you had every bit of info .
now you admit you know very little .
but still plough on blindly with your anti PVL bullshit .

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Qld Rugby League and NSW Rugby League launch joint litigation against ARLC over funding issues​

The country’s two premier state rugby league bodies have officially waged war on the Australian Rugby League Commission, launching joint litigation in relation to unresolved funding issues. Full details here.

The country’s two premier state rugby league bodies have officially waged war on the Australian Rugby League Commission, launching joint litigation in relation to unresolved funding issues.

Tensions between the groups have been growing over the past 12 months and have led to a stunning attack on the game’s highest powers.

A joint statement from Queensland Rugby League and New South Wales Rugby League alleged issues with funding that the ARLC is required to provide stem as far back as 2022.

“Queensland Rugby League (QRL) and the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL) have commenced joint litigation today against the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) in an attempt to resolve funding issues for the 2023 financial year,” the statement read.

“The ARLC is constitutionally required to provide annual funding to the state leagues to deliver community rugby league, support statewide competitions and clubs, and run the men’s and women’s State of Origin programs, a framework that was introduced when the ARLC was established in 2012.”

Both state bodies said the decision to commence joint litigation against the ARLC is regrettable.

“However, the ARLC was required to provide State League annual funding approval (for the 2023 financial year) by 30 September 2022 but now, in February 2024, the matter is still unresolved, leaving the state leagues with no alternative but to take action for the benefit of the stakeholders they represent.

“The state leagues remain willing to participate in joint mediation. As the matter is before the courts, the QRL and NSWRL will make no further comment.”

The state bodies have been at loggerheads over crucial funding decisions.

It became public knowledge last year when leaked emails from NRL CEO Andrew Abdo revealed the ARLC did not approve of the Western Clydesdales participation in the Hostplus Cup, Queensland’s premier league competition.

This month the ARLC then rejected a request to contribute funds to a Maroons pre-season camp and knocked back pleas for $50,000 Queensland Rugby League funding proposal to secure the survival of North Queensland’s historic Foley Shield.

The ARLC has been approached for comment.

I'll bet it comes down to the NSWRL and QRL not happy with the level of funding that they both think they are entitled to whilst the agreement is non-specific or some such. Just my gut feeling.

Vlad59

Bench
I'll bet it comes down to the NSWRL and QRL not happy with the level of funding that they both think they are entitled to whilst the agreement is non-specific or some such. Just my gut feeling.
Revenues are growing dramatically so the stakes are higher. The games management belongs in the hands of the national body in my view. First step was to get rid of the CRL. The NSWRL and QRL are fighting a losing battle. They’d be better off negotiating an honourable outcome as they will not win this.

Latest posts