What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Revenues are growing dramatically so the stakes are higher. The games management belongs in the hands of the national body in my view. First step was to get rid of the CRL. The NSWRL and QRL are fighting a losing battle. They’d be better off negotiating an honourable outcome as they will not win this.
Like NSWRL didnt win last time they ended up in court with the ARLC, twice?

Vlad59

Juniors
Like NSWRL didnt win last time they ended up in court with the ARLC, twice?
I’m talking about the inevitable conclusion of the war not a minor battle. The game needs strong national leadership to reach its potential. You’re no fan of V’landys. That’s clear. I reckon he is growing into the job via a few errors. I’m backing him and the ARLC to make good decisions for the game. The QRL and NSWRL need a massive shake up. Our major competitor has taken this approach as it grows a national approach thus consistency of delivery. We need to do the same. This bloke likes a fight and this is a big one. The media coverage we’ve had over summer has been terrific. And it’s full of controversy rumours and a lot of BS. I love it. The other codes hate it.

Iamback

Coach
I’m talking about the inevitable conclusion of the war not a minor battle. The game needs strong national leadership to reach its potential. You’re no fan of V’landys. That’s clear. I reckon he is growing into the job via a few errors. I’m backing him and the ARLC to make good decisions for the game. The QRL and NSWRL need a massive shake up. Our major competitor has taken this approach as it grows a national approach thus consistency of delivery. We need to do the same. This bloke likes a fight and this is a big one. The media coverage we’ve had over summer has been terrific. And it’s full of controversy rumours and a lot of BS. I love it. The other codes hate it.

This has been coming from when PR's favourite Dave Smith was in charge.

He would of said it was a good decision if they actually followed Shane Richardson's Platinum League plan back then

Vlad59

Juniors
This has been coming from when PR's favourite Dave Smith was in charge.

He would of said it was a good decision if they actually followed Shane Richardson's Platinum League plan back then
Yes I remember the platinum league. Didn’t ring true at the time did it?

Iamback

Coach
I'll bet it comes down to the NSWRL and QRL not happy with the level of funding that they both think they are entitled to whilst the agreement is non-specific or some such. Just my gut feeling.

We know QLD wants to increase funding for QCup sides.

NSwRL issues haven't been made public

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am no fan, hes done some really good stuff and the game is travelling well overall, but he's done some really bad stuff that many before him have been sacked for much less. His reign just seems incredibly antagonistic. Like every thing seems to be a battle with him. Maybe hes got no diplomacy, just doesn't give a sht or likes a fight. Who knows but its not a great look for the game to be at war all the time.

Not really the heartland state leagues in AFL are still fully independent and have much more self decision making than in rugby league. The heartland ones are also much less reliant on central funding than in rugby league.

I think there are plenty of areas when it comes to grassroots that can benefit from the scale and central management approach, but I think local knowledge and self determination cant be beat also. Finding that happy balance is key, and making it a win-win so we dont end up in court!

As for platinum league, did you see it? There was a lot of good stuff in there and would have moved a second tier and some other areas away from the club cartel whilst bringing in development pathways for new areas and countries. It had a lot of merits. Clubs and state bodies hated it because it eroded their power base. Kind of like what you are advocating for!

Vlad59

Juniors
I am no fan, hes done some really good stuff and the game is travelling well overall, but he's done some really bad stuff that many before him have been sacked for much less. His reign just seems incredibly antagonistic. Like every thing seems to be a battle with him. Maybe hes got no diplomacy, just doesn't give a sht or likes a fight. Who knows but its not a great look for the game to be at war all the time.

Not really the heartland state leagues in AFL are still fully independent and have much more self decision making than in rugby league. The heartland ones are also much less reliant on central funding than in rugby league.

I think there are plenty of areas when it comes to grassroots that can benefit from the scale and central management approach, but I think local knowledge and self determination cant be beat also. Finding that happy balance is key, and making it a win-win so we dont end up in court!
Fair comments overall. However afl central are control freaks so I don’t agree about the autonomy of the state bodies. I love a scrap so maybe that’s why I find Vlandys so much fun!

Perth Red

Post Whore
We know QLD wants to increase funding for QCup sides.

NSwRL issues haven't been made public
and some other areas in queensland

‘Big man in America’: Katter’s stunning QRL funds spray for PVL​

Queensland’s rugby league community has been slapped in the face by the guardians of the game for the third time in four months, leaving senior figures furious at Peter V’landys.

More QRL funding rejected

This is probably more of a note but the ARLC aren’t chipping in $50k for the Foley Shield, an inter-city rep comp in North Queensland that dates back to 1948. Add this to the pile with the Clydesdales, pre-season Origin camp and the Titans/Cowboys in QCup last year.

Apologies in advance to Nic Davrienza for extensive block quoting but there’s this from Bob “Let 1,000 blossoms bloom etc, torn apart by a crocodile etc” Katter and his (presumably large) adult son, Robbie:

Maverick MP Katter accused V’Landys of promoting himself in the United States while allowing the game in Queensland to fall into a state of disrepair.
“While the chairman of the ARLC (V’Landys) will be running around in America making a big man of himself … it’s about time he realises kids are not playing rugby league in schools,” Katter said.
“As is anything in regional Queensland, we’ve got another Sydney corporate who has very little background in rugby league taking away from a region which has given so much to the game.
“Slater, Myles, Boustead, Williams, Bowen, Hodges, Flegler, this is just a short list of the talent that’s come from North Queensland – home of the Foley Shield. And now we’ve got a commission effectively starving the potential of adding to that list.”
Katter’s son and Queensland State MP Robbie doubled down, accusing the Commission of “gambling away the future of grassroots football.”
“They rejected a funding application from the QRL to support one of the longest-running, foundational football competitions in North Queensland, but still found the millions to send teams to Las Vegas,” Katter said.
“Bleeding regional competitions dry while indulging in junkets overseas goes to the heart of a severe cultural problem at the heart of the ARL.
“We’re in a fight to keep these historic competitions alive in regional Queensland in the face of dwindling support from the guardians of the game based in Sydney.”
Ben Ikin was also quoted:
“The QRL’s 2024 funding position with the NRL still remains unresolved three months into the rugby league financial year, which is an awful way to treat the organisation that manages participation and pathways in the game’s most parochial market,” Ikin said.
“Having 50k worth of support rejected for the Foley Shield, while the NRL spends 10 times that on training fields for NRL teams in Las Vegas, is a real kick in the guts.”
It’s possible it’s more deeply felt on the ground instead of the ivory tower I inhabit where I don’t talk to anyone but I don’t know if this is having any cut through, e.g. it’s filed under the QRL vertical on the Courier Mail.

Still, it’s better to be out there, banging the drum than staying silent and hoping someone notices because no one will.

Iamback

Coach
Fair comments overall. However afl central are control freaks so I don’t agree about the autonomy of the state bodies. I love a scrap so maybe that’s why I find Vlandys so much fun!

For me the clubs do atleast 80% of the development, It makes sense for them to be paid accordingly.

Areas where there are no NRL club involvement is harder, I mentioned the system cricket uses where a club applies directly via a website to a set criteria and get x amount.

They can then spend that in what they need

The states don't have individual rules or anything so isn't like a great deal will change if their role is reduced

Maximus

Coach
I'll bet it comes down to the NSWRL and QRL not happy with the level of funding that they both think they are entitled to whilst the agreement is non-specific or some such. Just my gut feeling.

They clearly want more funding, but the ARLC are pretty dumb if they've actually breached their own constitution.

Not sure if there is any updated constitution, but the original just says they need to "provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels" and "delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the states...". I didn't see anything about specific timing required, so the NRL would probably be able to argue the funding is adequate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So gripes in summary w eknow of:
Qlnd
No extra funding for QRL cup expansion (Clydesdales and NQ and GC sides)
No funding for Foley Shield
Funding amount unresolved and way past the agreed date states would receive notice of funding allocations

NSWRL
Funding reduced
same re funding issue for QRL ie not knowing amount and way past agreed date

Perth Red

Post Whore
For me the clubs do atleast 80% of the development, It makes sense for them to be paid accordingly.

Areas where there are no NRL club involvement is harder, I mentioned the system cricket uses where a club applies directly via a website to a set criteria and get x amount.

They can then spend that in what they need

The states don't have individual rules or anything so isn't like a great deal will change if their role is reduced
Again though we have to be really really careful here.
Yes the clubs do most of the elite player development. But that in effect equates to around only 200 players per club across the age groups, around 3,500 players all up.
The other 100k plus grassroots rugby league players rely on the states to support, manage and grow them. RL isnt just NRL, and that seems to be one of the great threats of letting the ARLC run everything, they find it hard to see value in anything that isnt NRL specifically related.

Iamback

Coach
and some other areas in queensland

‘Big man in America’: Katter’s stunning QRL funds spray for PVL​

Queensland’s rugby league community has been slapped in the face by the guardians of the game for the third time in four months, leaving senior figures furious at Peter V’landys.

More QRL funding rejected​

This is probably more of a note but the ARLC aren’t chipping in $50k for the Foley Shield, an inter-city rep comp in North Queensland that dates back to 1948. Add this to the pile with the Clydesdales, pre-season Origin camp and the Titans/Cowboys in QCup last year.

Apologies in advance to Nic Davrienza for extensive block quoting but there’s this from Bob “Let 1,000 blossoms bloom etc, torn apart by a crocodile etc” Katter and his (presumably large) adult son, Robbie:

Ben Ikin was also quoted:

It’s possible it’s more deeply felt on the ground instead of the ivory tower I inhabit where I don’t talk to anyone but I don’t know if this is having any cut through, e.g. it’s filed under the QRL vertical on the Courier Mail.

Still, it’s better to be out there, banging the drum than staying silent and hoping someone notices because no one will.

So why can't the QRL fund the Foley Shield like in previous years?

As the story said it has been going since 1948 and suddenly needs the ARLC to fund it

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Again though we have to be really really careful here.
Yes the clubs do most of the elite player development. But that in effect equates to around only 200 players per club across the age groups, around 3,500 players all up.
The other 100k plus grassroots rugby league players rely on the states to support, manage and grow them. RL isnt just NRL, and that seems to be one of the great threats of letting the ARLC run everything, they find it hard to see value in anything that isnt NRL specifically related.

And their local leagues?

Iamback

Coach
They clearly want more funding, but the ARLC are pretty dumb if they've actually breached their own constitution.

Not sure if there is any updated constitution, but the original just says they need to "provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels" and "delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the states...". I didn't see anything about specific timing required, so the NRL would probably be able to argue the funding is adequate.

They have forecasted $400m to spend on grassroots. That would pass as adequate funding.

Delegation I guess is the area that isn't defined and where the sides seem apart