What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
If I sign my kid up to play for Windsor. Penrith District junior Rugby League runs the comp.
Registration is done by them, Referees come via them.

Draw and everything they handle, NSWRL have no part in how that comp functions.

As is the case in all junior leagues.
Thats the LC, not the NRl club. There is a difference. And like I said even that is only the case in some parts of Sydney, nowhere else in the country. Dont they all come under NSWRL for administration, refs etc?

Vlad59

Juniors
Thats the LC, not the NRl club. There is a difference. And like I said even that is only the case in some parts of Sydney, nowhere else in the country. Dont they all come under NSWRL for administration, refs etc?
Given you seem to know everything, you tell us.

Maximus

Coach
They have forecasted $400m to spend on grassroots. That would pass as adequate funding.

Delegation I guess is the area that isn't defined and where the sides seem apart

Over what period? Saying that you forecast to spend $400m means nothing. If that is over 20 years for example, in 2022 they gave NSWRL and QRL a combined $34m, so $20m per year is not adequate.

Take out employee costs, because we are pretending the NRL could take over all their responsibilities without expanding their workforce, and total costs for NSWRL and QRL is $52m, so if the $400m is over 10 years, it still isn't likely to be adequate.

I haven't even taken into account any numbers from other states yet.

Just giving a big number doesn't tell the full story.

Iamback

Coach

No. They have their own judicary and boards etc

Well Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra do.

Given most of the population is in those areas then less funding to NSWRL to run the others makes sense.

How to fund the rest is the question and is what should be discussed instead of court action

Reactions: siv

Perth Red

Post Whore
No. They have their own judicary and boards etc

Well Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and Canberra do.

Given most of the population is in those areas then less funding to NSWRL to run the others makes sense.

How to fund the rest is the question and is what should be discussed instead of court action
ok cheers. wow so youve got a dozen or so LC's/groups in Sydney all running jnr comps independent of anyone? No wonder Richardson wanted to amalgamate everything!

Vlad59

Juniors
great contribution. You've certainly made your mark and added great value in the early days of your forum posting lol
Pointing out the obvious doesn’t require a lot of talent. My contribution should be seen in that light. My experience in forum posting goes back decades. It doesn’t require a lot of skill. You should know that.

Iamback

Coach
Over what period? Saying that you forecast to spend $400m means nothing. If that is over 20 years for example, in 2022 they gave NSWRL and QRL a combined $34m, so $20m per year is not adequate.

Take out employee costs, because we are pretending the NRL could take over all their responsibilities without expanding their workforce, and total costs for NSWRL and QRL is $52m, so if the $400m is over 10 years, it still isn't likely to be adequate.

I haven't even taken into account any numbers from other states yet.

Just giving a big number doesn't tell the full story.

It was part of the CBA. So would between now and 2031

Perth Red

Post Whore
The CBA goes inline with the TV Deal. Sorry was a typo. It goes until 2027

That with the extra the clubs get for development officers is 13% of revenue ( which QRL confirmed ) set aside for junior development
so $80mill a year. Still $8mil a year less than 5 years ago, whats that cut with inflation?

Is the funding for DO's for clubs in the $18mill grant agreement?

Vee

First Grade

‘Might not see out the term’: ARLC chair Peter V’landys’ huge succession plan admission​

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has celebrated his appointment for a further three years by revealing that he may not see out his term - and has already begun putting plans in place for his departure.

V’Landys, who has turned rugby league into a financial juggernaut with revenues of nearly $700 million and back-to-back profits in excess of $50 million, will have his tenure officially extended on Wednesday morning at the game’s AGM.

As the game prepares for a historic season launch in Las Vegas next week - a cause that he has personally championed - V’landys has revealed the personal toll that he has endured as the game’s most powerful figure and the prospect that he may prematurely walk away as a result.

“It’s hard,” V’landys said. “It’s a pressure role, there’s no doubt. There are days where I’ve wanted to chuck it all in."

“I’m only human. Some days I think to myself, why the hell am I doing this? Why am I putting my family through this? But other days when you see the positive results, you are glad you are doing it. I love helping and representing the fans."

“This job is the greatest rollercoaster ride you can ever be on. One day you are on top of the world and looking at the game and thinking how good is this? And then the next day something bad happens and you are in the basement thinking how do we get ourselves out of this?”

As well as V’landys, fellow commissioners Megan Davis and Kate Jones will have their tenures extended for a further three years on Wednesday.

“It’s great to be appointed for another term but there’s no guarantees I do the whole term,” V’landys said. “It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league and especially the fans. The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan."

“Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented.”

Asked whether he could leave early, V’landys said: “I might not see out the term to be honest, no. I’ve been given a three-year term but you have to look at succession planning and I’m doing that.”

V’landys lauded the contribution of Jones, the former Queensland politician who shapes as a possible ARL Commission boss.

“Kate Jones has done an outstanding job,” V’landys said. “I’m a big fan of Kate Jones, but Megan Davis has done an excellent job for a long time."

“We have some very good talent. Kate is one of our superstars on the commission … she has done a brilliant job with game participation.”

Jones has been widely tipped to eventually replace V’landys but there is no rush for him to leave given rugby league’s rude health.

“The good news for the NRL is that we will have Peter V for another three years to continue the reforms so necessary to grow the game,” V’landys predecessor Peter Beattie said. “On the eve of the season launch in Las Vegas it shows stability for the future of the NRL."

“Rugby League is in the best shape it has ever been in since its formation. Peter is the best administrator the game has ever had. We are so lucky to have his determination and commitment. He is the bulldozer rugby league so desperately needed.”

Chief executive Andrew Abdo added: “Peter is an outstanding leader, sports administrator and chairman. The game is lucky to have him."

“Peter has brought great knowledge, insight and passion to improve every element of rugby league. He challenges us all to think differently.

“He was the visionary and driving force behind getting the NRL back on the field on May 28 during Covid, expansion of the men’s and women’s competitions and the acquisition of revenue generating assets."

“He is also incredibly passionate about participation and growth at grassroots level and genuinely cares about fans."

“We have a really strong relationship, we talk often and both of us love the game and have the best interests of the game at heart.”

MugaB

Coach

‘Might not see out the term’: ARLC chair Peter V’landys’ huge succession plan admission​

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has celebrated his appointment for a further three years by revealing that he may not see out his term - and has already begun putting plans in place for his departure.

V’Landys, who has turned rugby league into a financial juggernaut with revenues of nearly $700 million and back-to-back profits in excess of $50 million, will have his tenure officially extended on Wednesday morning at the game’s AGM.

As the game prepares for a historic season launch in Las Vegas next week - a cause that he has personally championed - V’landys has revealed the personal toll that he has endured as the game’s most powerful figure and the prospect that he may prematurely walk away as a result.

“It’s hard,” V’landys said. “It’s a pressure role, there’s no doubt. There are days where I’ve wanted to chuck it all in."

“I’m only human. Some days I think to myself, why the hell am I doing this? Why am I putting my family through this? But other days when you see the positive results, you are glad you are doing it. I love helping and representing the fans."

“This job is the greatest rollercoaster ride you can ever be on. One day you are on top of the world and looking at the game and thinking how good is this? And then the next day something bad happens and you are in the basement thinking how do we get ourselves out of this?”

As well as V’landys, fellow commissioners Megan Davis and Kate Jones will have their tenures extended for a further three years on Wednesday.

“It’s great to be appointed for another term but there’s no guarantees I do the whole term,” V’landys said. “It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league and especially the fans. The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan."

“Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented.”

Asked whether he could leave early, V’landys said: “I might not see out the term to be honest, no. I’ve been given a three-year term but you have to look at succession planning and I’m doing that.”

V’landys lauded the contribution of Jones, the former Queensland politician who shapes as a possible ARL Commission boss.

“Kate Jones has done an outstanding job,” V’landys said. “I’m a big fan of Kate Jones, but Megan Davis has done an excellent job for a long time."

“We have some very good talent. Kate is one of our superstars on the commission … she has done a brilliant job with game participation.”

Jones has been widely tipped to eventually replace V’landys but there is no rush for him to leave given rugby league’s rude health.

“The good news for the NRL is that we will have Peter V for another three years to continue the reforms so necessary to grow the game,” V’landys predecessor Peter Beattie said. “On the eve of the season launch in Las Vegas it shows stability for the future of the NRL."

“Rugby League is in the best shape it has ever been in since its formation. Peter is the best administrator the game has ever had. We are so lucky to have his determination and commitment. He is the bulldozer rugby league so desperately needed.”

Chief executive Andrew Abdo added: “Peter is an outstanding leader, sports administrator and chairman. The game is lucky to have him."

“Peter has brought great knowledge, insight and passion to improve every element of rugby league. He challenges us all to think differently.

“He was the visionary and driving force behind getting the NRL back on the field on May 28 during Covid, expansion of the men’s and women’s competitions and the acquisition of revenue generating assets."

“He is also incredibly passionate about participation and growth at grassroots level and genuinely cares about fans."

“We have a really strong relationship, we talk often and both of us love the game and have the best interests of the game at heart.”
PVL reads PR posts daily, then decides to stay on a further 3 years to spite him

shewi6

Juniors

Anyone have access to this? Headline talks about nrl being a 1 billion dollar sport now, but I thought they just released last years revenue at 700M.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

NRL’s record revenue result declared as code dethrones AFL as biggest game in Australia​

Fresh from delivering a record revenue result for rugby league, ARLC chair Peter V’landys has declared victory over the AFL in the battle to become Australia’s number one sporting code.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed his masterplan to make the NRL a $1 billion empire as the code celebrates the greatest revenue in rugby league’s 116-year history.

V’landys boldly declared the NRL has dethroned the AFL as Australia’s No. 1 sport after League Central on Wednesday revealed a record income in excess of $700 million ahead of the code’s historic double header in Las Vegas.

V’landys and NRL boss Andrew Abdo will head to Sin City next week basking in the afterglow of a series of financial coups that has turned the game from the brink of bankruptcy to unprecedented riches in just three years.

On a landmark day for the sport, the ARL Commission released the NRL’s financial performance for the 2023 season as rugby league’s on and off-field prosperity hit record levels.

It can be revealed:
* The NRL’s total revenue reached a record $701.1 million;
* The 2023 revenue represented a whopping $107.3m improvement and represented an 18 per cent increase on the previous season’s mark of $593.8m;
* The ARLC announced a 2023 operating surplus of $58.2m, the third consecutive year League Central has recorded a handsome profit;
* Since 2021, the NRL has banked $164.2 million in profits;
* The NRL now boasts net assets in excess of $260 million, bolstered by the purchase of three properties, including Brisbane’s Gambaro Hotel near Suncorp Stadium;
* The NRL delivered record distributions of $447 million to stakeholders, an increase of $80m from 2022, with players receiving a record $216.3m, up 16 per cent from the previous year; and
* Rugby league is now Australia’s most-watched sport with total viewership of 171.8 million, up 14 per cent from 150.6m in 2022.

V’landys hailed the game’s remarkable fiscal resurrection – the code was eight weeks away from going broke during Covid – and has set his sights on turning the NRL into a $1 billion juggernaut after being handed a new three-year term as ARLC chair.

“They are remarkable numbers – no other sport is near us,” V’landys said.

“The other sports are battling, but the NRL has never been in a better spot.

“We are celebrating record revenues.

“The game nearly went broke during Covid. We were in the basement. But after Covid, we have gone to the penthouse and I’m very proud of the game’s recovery with the support of people like Andrew Abdo, Kate Jones, the Commission, the clubs and the great entertainers we have in our players.

“It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league, especially the fans.

“The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan.

“Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented.

“We will get to $1 billion in revenue.

“We won’t do it next year, but my aim is to get us to the $1 billion mark and I have no doubt we can continue to grow.”

V’landys brought riches to NSW Racing and the ARLC chair has presided over growth that has future-proofed the NRL in the wake of the Covid crisis that exposed the sport’s poor financial health.

Aside from record revenue, V’landys claims the NRL is now one of the most streamlined operations in world sport. The NRL’s expense ratio-to-revenue of 22.2 per cent is the lowest of any major Australian sport.

Significantly, the 17 NRL clubs received $98.2 million, a 33 per cent spike, while investment in participation and pathways rose 13 per cent from $73.1m in 2022 to $82.8m last season.

The AFL is widely regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent winter sports but V’landys is adamant the NRL is winning the battle of the codes.

“To be honest, we are already the No. 1 sport. AFL is No. 2,” V’landys said.

“They are behind us despite what they think.

“In terms of viewing figures, we are No. 1, you can’t dispute that.

“Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport.

“I like the fact they are doing a great job because it makes us want to compete and get better.

“They know we are around and we will keep them honest.”

With the ARLC having recently purchased the 81-room Mercure hotel on the Sunshine Coast, V’landys is building a war chest that will underpin his next mission _ delivering a 20-team NRL competition.

Ever a visionary, V’landys is also eyeing expansion into America via the code’s five-year Las Vegas deal, starting with the 2024 NRL season kick-off at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday week.

“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial,” he said.

“Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions.

“I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years.

“Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks.

“We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding.

“We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this.

“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.

“Expansion in 2026 or 2027 is absolutely on the agenda.

“My motto is ‘Defy Impossible’. My attitude is never say never.

“People always underestimate us … but I’m determined to keep improving the game.”

Wb1234

Referee

NRL’s record revenue result declared as code dethrones AFL as biggest game in Australia​

Fresh from delivering a record revenue result for rugby league, ARLC chair Peter V’landys has declared victory over the AFL in the battle to become Australia’s number one sporting code.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed his masterplan to make the NRL a $1 billion empire as the code celebrates the greatest revenue in rugby league’s 116-year history.

V’landys boldly declared the NRL has dethroned the AFL as Australia’s No. 1 sport after League Central on Wednesday revealed a record income in excess of $700 million ahead of the code’s historic double header in Las Vegas.

V’landys and NRL boss Andrew Abdo will head to Sin City next week basking in the afterglow of a series of financial coups that has turned the game from the brink of bankruptcy to unprecedented riches in just three years.

On a landmark day for the sport, the ARL Commission released the NRL’s financial performance for the 2023 season as rugby league’s on and off-field prosperity hit record levels.

It can be revealed:
* The 2023 revenue represented a whopping $107.3m improvement and represented an 18 per cent increase on the previous season’s mark of $593.8m;
* The ARLC announced a 2023 operating surplus of $58.2m, the third consecutive year League Central has recorded a handsome profit;
* The NRL now boasts net assets in excess of $260 million, bolstered by the purchase of three properties, including Brisbane’s Gambaro Hotel near Suncorp Stadium;
* The NRL delivered record distributions of $447 million to stakeholders, an increase of $80m from 2022, with players receiving a record $216.3m, up 16 per cent from the previous year; and
* Rugby league is now Australia’s most-watched sport with total viewership of 171.8 million, up 14 per cent from 150.6m in 2022.

V’landys hailed the game’s remarkable fiscal resurrection – the code was eight weeks away from going broke during Covid – and has set his sights on turning the NRL into a $1 billion juggernaut after being handed a new three-year term as ARLC chair.

“The game nearly went broke during Covid. We were in the basement. But after Covid, we have gone to the penthouse and I’m very proud of the game’s recovery with the support of people like Andrew Abdo, Kate Jones, the Commission, the clubs and the great entertainers we have in our players.

“It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league, especially the fans.

“The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan.

“Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented.

“We won’t do it next year, but my aim is to get us to the $1 billion mark and I have no doubt we can continue to grow.”

V’landys brought riches to NSW Racing and the ARLC chair has presided over growth that has future-proofed the NRL in the wake of the Covid crisis that exposed the sport’s poor financial health.

Aside from record revenue, V’landys claims the NRL is now one of the most streamlined operations in world sport. The NRL’s expense ratio-to-revenue of 22.2 per cent is the lowest of any major Australian sport.

Significantly, the 17 NRL clubs received $98.2 million, a 33 per cent spike, while investment in participation and pathways rose 13 per cent from $73.1m in 2022 to $82.8m last season.

The AFL is widely regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent winter sports but V’landys is adamant the NRL is winning the battle of the codes.

“Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport.

“I like the fact they are doing a great job because it makes us want to compete and get better.

With the ARLC having recently purchased the 81-room Mercure hotel on the Sunshine Coast, V’landys is building a war chest that will underpin his next mission _ delivering a 20-team NRL competition.

Ever a visionary, V’landys is also eyeing expansion into America via the code’s five-year Las Vegas deal, starting with the 2024 NRL season kick-off at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday week.

“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial,” he said.

“Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions.

“Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks.

“We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding.

“We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this.

“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.

“People always underestimate us … but I’m determined to keep improving the game.”

@Perth Red

260 million in net assets on top of record distributions to clubs and players

Vlad59

Juniors

It can be revealed:

Thanks for posting mate. And when we expand our national footprint there’ll be no stopping us.

MugaB

Coach
Thanks for posting mate. And when we expand our national footprint there’ll be no stopping us.
Wrong, there will be the karen crew here on LU ready to howl down PVL and his shithouse product NRL, it's never done right, there's no perth, png is a pipedream, no one is in NZ wanting another team, i mean where is he going to get to 20 teams, seriously!!!

..i know Newtownjets/CCbears/BRLoganTigers... more Sydney and Brisbane teams will suffice, coz having a national comp is a farce

Last edited:

Vlad59

Juniors
Wrong, there will be the karen crew here on LU ready to howl down PVL and his shithouse product NRL, it's never done right, there's no perth, png is a pipedream, no one is in NZ wanting another team, i mean where is he going to get to 20 teams,

..i know jets/bears/BRLtigers... more Sydney and Brisbane teams will suffice
Good summary.