What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

jim_57

Staff member
“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.”

Interesting way to put it. “national footprint” “beyond the eastern seaboard”, there’s only one logical location that could be.

Darwin team 18, put the house on it.

Vlad59

Juniors
“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.”

Interesting way to put it. “national footprint” “beyond the eastern seaboard”, there’s only one logical location that could be.

Cruel bastard :)

MugaB

Coach

DARWIN DINGOS
The catch cry.... its not phins up ffs
Its a dingo ate my baby!!
Colors are also red, yellow, black... just like the pirates who copied their colors

Iamback

Coach
Thanks for posting mate. And when we expand our national footprint there’ll be no stopping us.

Especially if the likes of Tonga and Samoa continue to improve and the Internationals boom.

That and Womens game are where the real growth will come

Vlad59

Juniors
Especially if the likes of Tonga and Samoa continue to improve and the Internationals boom.

That and Womens game are where the real growth will come
We have to be the number 1 game in the South Pacific. We can happily co exist with Soccer imho. Not with the rah rahs and fumblers.

Iamback

Coach
We have to be the number 1 game in the South Pacific. We can happily co exist with Soccer imho. Not with the rah rahs and fumblers.

The rah rahs in the Southern Hemisphere can't compete with the money NRL has. 3 more teams in new areas - which that interview seems to imply. Will only enhance that

Wb1234

Referee
Nah Perth red is celebrating

vlandys just green light Perth back into the nrl

can’t wait to see them relocate the storm

Wb1234

Referee

NRL’s record revenue result declared as code dethrones AFL as biggest game in Australia​

Fresh from delivering a record revenue result for rugby league, ARLC chair Peter V’landys has declared victory over the AFL in the battle to become Australia’s number one sporting code.

ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has revealed his masterplan to make the NRL a $1 billion empire as the code celebrates the greatest revenue in rugby league’s 116-year history.

V’landys boldly declared the NRL has dethroned the AFL as Australia’s No. 1 sport after League Central on Wednesday revealed a record income in excess of $700 million ahead of the code’s historic double header in Las Vegas.

V’landys and NRL boss Andrew Abdo will head to Sin City next week basking in the afterglow of a series of financial coups that has turned the game from the brink of bankruptcy to unprecedented riches in just three years.

On a landmark day for the sport, the ARL Commission released the NRL’s financial performance for the 2023 season as rugby league’s on and off-field prosperity hit record levels.

It can be revealed:
* The NRL’s total revenue reached a record $701.1 million;
* The 2023 revenue represented a whopping $107.3m improvement and represented an 18 per cent increase on the previous season’s mark of $593.8m;
* The ARLC announced a 2023 operating surplus of $58.2m, the third consecutive year League Central has recorded a handsome profit;
* Since 2021, the NRL has banked $164.2 million in profits;
* The NRL now boasts net assets in excess of $260 million, bolstered by the purchase of three properties, including Brisbane’s Gambaro Hotel near Suncorp Stadium;
* The NRL delivered record distributions of $447 million to stakeholders, an increase of $80m from 2022, with players receiving a record $216.3m, up 16 per cent from the previous year; and
* Rugby league is now Australia’s most-watched sport with total viewership of 171.8 million, up 14 per cent from 150.6m in 2022.

V’landys hailed the game’s remarkable fiscal resurrection – the code was eight weeks away from going broke during Covid – and has set his sights on turning the NRL into a $1 billion juggernaut after being handed a new three-year term as ARLC chair.

“They are remarkable numbers – no other sport is near us,” V’landys said.

“The other sports are battling, but the NRL has never been in a better spot.

“We are celebrating record revenues.

“The game nearly went broke during Covid. We were in the basement. But after Covid, we have gone to the penthouse and I’m very proud of the game’s recovery with the support of people like Andrew Abdo, Kate Jones, the Commission, the clubs and the great entertainers we have in our players.

“It’s always an honour to represent so many stakeholders in rugby league, especially the fans.

“The fans have never had a representative and I pride myself on making sure that we look after the fan.

“Without the fans, you have nothing. For many years, they were the last ones considered and I just want to make sure they are well represented.

“We will get to $1 billion in revenue.

“We won’t do it next year, but my aim is to get us to the $1 billion mark and I have no doubt we can continue to grow.”

V’landys brought riches to NSW Racing and the ARLC chair has presided over growth that has future-proofed the NRL in the wake of the Covid crisis that exposed the sport’s poor financial health.

Aside from record revenue, V’landys claims the NRL is now one of the most streamlined operations in world sport. The NRL’s expense ratio-to-revenue of 22.2 per cent is the lowest of any major Australian sport.

Significantly, the 17 NRL clubs received $98.2 million, a 33 per cent spike, while investment in participation and pathways rose 13 per cent from $73.1m in 2022 to $82.8m last season.

The AFL is widely regarded as Australia’s pre-eminent winter sports but V’landys is adamant the NRL is winning the battle of the codes.

“To be honest, we are already the No. 1 sport. AFL is No. 2,” V’landys said.

“They are behind us despite what they think.

“In terms of viewing figures, we are No. 1, you can’t dispute that.

“Look, the AFL has a national footprint and I respect them, they do a very good job at promoting their sport.

“I like the fact they are doing a great job because it makes us want to compete and get better.

“They know we are around and we will keep them honest.”

With the ARLC having recently purchased the 81-room Mercure hotel on the Sunshine Coast, V’landys is building a war chest that will underpin his next mission _ delivering a 20-team NRL competition.

Ever a visionary, V’landys is also eyeing expansion into America via the code’s five-year Las Vegas deal, starting with the 2024 NRL season kick-off at Allegiant Stadium on Sunday week.

“My aims during my next term is more expansion and getting a foothold in the American market. It’s crucial,” he said.

“Moving into America has the potential to give us tens if not hundreds of millions.

“I would like to expand to a 20-team comp in the coming years.

“Because the game has never been in such a good position financially, we can look at more expansion and take a few risks.

“We have made ourselves more cost effective. We have streamlined things. We have the lowest administration cost of any sport based on percentage of revenue which is outstanding.

“We have a very strong team and Andrew Abdo is the CEO presiding over all of this.

“I absolutely think we can expand our national footprint beyond the eastern seaboard and that’s what we are looking at.

“Expansion in 2026 or 2027 is absolutely on the agenda.

“My motto is ‘Defy Impossible’. My attitude is never say never.

“People always underestimate us … but I’m determined to keep improving the game.”

@Perth Red here is the full article

Vlad59

Juniors
This is the News Limited version as distinct from the DT. Pretty much the same except viewing figures

The_Wookie

Bench
The NRL.com version is better

“Our revenues have gone up significantly in the last three to four years, and it's in every area of the operation,” V’landys said. “It's not just one area like broadcast, it's through the whole revenue streams.

“The best part of our result has been that we've actually distributed record amounts to clubs.

“When I first came onto the commission, we were looking at two clubs actually going broke, so I'm happy to say now that every club is in the best financial position that they've been in.

“That's because we have given them distributions of $98.2m [above salary cap payments]. That's a 33% increase on the previous year of $74m.

“We've also given the players record distributions of $216.3m, up $30m on the previous year, or 16%.”

Key points of the NRL’s performance in 2023 included:

• Revenue growing 18% from $107.3m to $701.m, driven by new media rights deal and record sponsorship, wagering and game day income;
  • NRL broadcast figures outstripping AFL, with 93.2m viewers tuning into Telstra Premiership matches on Nine and Fox Sports compared to 91m for AFL’s free-to-air and pay-tv coverage. Overall, rugby league viewership was 171.8m, making the code Australia’s most watched sport;
  • Huge growth of interest in the expanded NRLW, with 7.2m viewers watching NRLW compared to 6.1m AFLW viewers - despite the rival code playing more than twice as many matches (99 to 48). More than 1m viewers tuned into the NRLW grand final, which was watched by a crowd of 40649 fans at Accor Stadium, while NRLW content views were up 31% on NRL.com and video views by 48%;
  • Average crowds of 20,300 for the regular season and finals;3.1m NRL accounts, with 450,000 new fans signing up, while the NRL increased its lead as the largest Australian sport on TikTok with 1.22m followers, along with 1.63m followers on Instagram;
  • The lowest operating costs of any Australian sport on an expense to revenue ratio of 22.2% - down from 25.5% in 2022, and;
  • Grassroots participation increasing by 9% to more than 192,000 registered players, with male playing numbers up 5% and female playing numbers growing by 12%.
“That's very important to us because they're the future participants in our game,” V’landys said.

“Even though there's been some criticism in the media in relation to pathways development and participation, we have given $82.8m last year in those areas - up $9.7m on the previous year.

“More importantly, over the next five years, $420 million will be spent on participation and pathways.”

The_Wookie

Bench
Good result. I'll reserve my judgement until the next TV deal but certainly NRL looking in great shape.
If Vlandys does a deal in excess of the AFL, then he can declare it to be the number 1 code. Until then, let's keep chipping away and worry about our own backyard.

Whether you compare it to the AFL or not, the NRL is in outstanding shape.

* The NRL broke 4m in attendance for the first time ever at a record attendance average of 19,633.
* A hugely impressive expansion launch from the Dolphins which added materially to the league in terms of attendance, television and memberships.
* NRL clubs set a new record for total memberships, with at least 7 clubs breaking their membership records.
* NRL clubs are the most followed Australian sporting clubs on social media, with more than 13 million followers across the major social media outlets.
* The NRL set a new record for TV audiences with 171.8m viewers across the season, up from 150m in 2022, in a year where the NRL season conflicted with a mid year Ashes series and the Womens World Cup.
*Big increase in interest in the expanded NRLW with 7.1m viewers, and 1.2m viewers for the NRLW Grand Final.
* The NRL had a record revenue of 701m - including profit of 58m, record distributions to stakeholders of 447m, has now a record 260m in net assets. The NRL is aiming for a billion in revenue in the near future and continues to build its asset base to protect against possible future contingencies.
* And we're about to launch the highest profile start to the season in Las Vegas in the next two weeks!

Vlad59

Juniors
Whether you compare it to the AFL or not, the NRL is in outstanding shape.

* The NRL broke 4m in attendance for the first time ever at a record attendance average of 19,633.
* A hugely impressive expansion launch from the Dolphins which added materially to the league in terms of attendance, television and memberships.
* NRL clubs set a new record for total memberships, with at least 7 clubs breaking their membership records.
* NRL clubs are the most followed Australian sporting clubs on social media, with more than 13 million followers across the major social media outlets.
* The NRL set a new record for TV audiences with 171.8m viewers across the season, up from 150m in 2022, in a year where the NRL season conflicted with a mid year Ashes series and the Womens World Cup.
*Big increase in interest in the expanded NRLW with 7.1m viewers, and 1.2m viewers for the NRLW Grand Final.
* The NRL had a record revenue of 701m - including profit of 58m, record distributions to stakeholders of 447m, has now a record 260m in net assets. The NRL is aiming for a billion in revenue in the near future and continues to build its asset base to protect against possible future contingencies.
* And we're about to launch the highest profile start to the season in Las Vegas in the next two weeks!

Spot on. Referring to afl is unnecessary