What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Colk

First Grade
Is Sydney North Shore really the most pressing concern for Rugby League in Australia?

Could we get any more insular in our vision for the game?

100%. Even if somehow the game concentrated on the north shore do people really think that people will stop supporting the Swans as a result?

Whatever your views on what happened 20 odd years ago, it’s been done. The real lesson from the Swans, Lions or the Storm is take on the challenge.

Iamback

Coach
Is Sydney North Shore really the most pressing concern for Rugby League in Australia?

Could we get any more insular in our vision for the game?

Team 18 is.

Issues with needing pathways for new markets, Potentially getting North Shore money is just an added bonus

Iamback

Coach
A combination of arrogance and ignorance. AFL industry bought the line from Demetriou that there are 2.5m in Western Sydney so a team is needed and you only need to convert 2% of the population to be a success. Problem is they will never, ever make it to that 2%. Very few Vic ex-pats live out west and that is a big part of their problem. Perhaps the second AFL side should have been in the north rather than the west?

Anyway, the PVL article is full of half truths and his usual repeated references to AFL. That man is obsessed with trying to trump Victoria (AFL and Racing).

Which is why you need to take it with a grain of salt, Like the stuff I posted before. In amongst the dribble is good stuff

Iamback

Coach
The loss of teams in Sydney certainly doesn't explain the Brisbane Lions becoming big in Brisbane.

I love that there is an apparently an article out there that that lays out the future of the NRL, it'd revenue, etc yet only one member of LU has access to it.

Haha, f**k me dead

Here you go, here's a sneak peek.

Given the RLPA are going through the figures as we speak, very hard to lie

Attachments

• 5C838D5F-5BBF-44D6-A66C-33632F827B1B.png
    5C838D5F-5BBF-44D6-A66C-33632F827B1B.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 26
I’m sorry but can people stop using this throw away line that the only reason that fumbleball carved out a niche audience was because some RL teams died in Sydney.

It is used to form this narrative which is that fumbleball could never be popular in Sydney and Brisbane or that rugby league could never be popular in WA, SA or Victoria. It is just absolute b******.

Other than small core groups of rusted on supporters like ourselves, most others will follow sports casually and with teams, generally engage in greater numbers with those that win and disengage with those that loss. It’s not rocket science.

It's an appeal to emotion that NSWRL supporters use because there is no justification for Sydney to have nine teams. All of the arguments they use are logical fallacies that have no basis in reality.

Swans generated good crowds in the 80s when they ernt through a brief period of onfield success, then lost support as they drifted to the bottom of the ladder. Crowds rose when they acquired Tony Locket and made it to the final. The Sydney Kings' experience similar fluctuations in support based in how they're travelling on court.

People bring up AwFuL having eight teams, but conveniently fail to mention that those clubs are well supported. The only one that struggles is North Melbourne, but the irony is AwFuL have tried to relocate them to Gold Coast.

No one who finds fumbleball boring will watch it, regardless of what happened to their RL team.

It's not the only reason, and I don't see anyone claiming that it is the only reason here, but like it is glaringly obvious that the Swans are the biggest were traditional clubs with strong local identities have either been axed or merged that this is obviously a rather big factor, or the biggest coincidence in Australian sports.

How do you know it's not due to changing demographics?

Interstate migration from the southern states to the northern states has been happening for decades.

Anyone who gives up rugby league for fumbleball would have been a fan of both sports to begin with, or at least had a casual interest in it.

The regions you're talking about are fairly close to the CBD and affluent, so it's understandable that working class RL fans have been forced out west and replaced by cashed up southerners.

Mate, that’s a little melodramatic isn’t it? Surely your interest in the game isn’t that fragile.

If the ARLC brings back the Bears it will kill RL in Perth and prevent us from ever becoming a national sport. Over the long-term it will condemn us to niche status because and see us become irrelevant like rugby union. We're an immigration nation and new Australians aren't going to get behind a game that has no presence outside of the east coast and is based around one city that has nine clubs drawing small crowds. I rarely hear foreigners talk about our game. In the beginning of the year I heard Derek Rucker compare something on court to AFL. He lives in Brisbane after playing for Brisbane, Townsville and West Sydney. During the FIBA Women's World Cup I heard the commentators talk about AFL.

I'm not interested in supporting a continuation of the NSWRL. If the game wants me to invest my time and money on it then I need the ARLC to treat me, my club and my state like equals. If it's not willing to do that then it can get stuffed.

Canard

Immortal
Team 18 mentioned here

Reads like News Limited puff piece after the TV deal embarrassment.

Announcing a profit for next season in October, is great accounting.

The only thing of substance was that they saved money in NRL staff salaries and they are going to buy even more pubs.

Saying in public that one of the options League should be looking at for greater player depth is the NFL, is f**king bonkers!

Iamback

Coach
Reads like News Limited puff piece after the TV deal embarrassment.

Announcing a profit for next season in October, is great accounting.

The only thing of substance was that they saved money in NRL staff salaries and they are going to buy even more pubs.

Saying in public that one of the options League should be looking at for greater player depth is the NFL, is f**king bonkers!

The NRL season runs from Nov-Oct. So it is the end of the NRL year

How many players go to College, Go undrafted only to sit on a Practice squad. Where do those guys go?

I agree it likely doesn't happen but there are players suited to Rugby Codes just sitting there

Canard

Immortal

How many players go to College, Go undrafted only to sit on a Practice squad. Where do those guys go?

I agree it likely doesn't happen but there are players suited to Rugby Codes just sitting there

There not coming to Australia to play a sport they have never heard of.

This is as pie in the sky as John Ribot saying the sport will be big in China.

It makes him look like a loud mouthed dumbshit, to be honest.

Colk

First Grade

Wouldn’t it be easier to source more talent from the Pacific or from rugby?

Iamback

Coach

USA play RL, If the US game does get off the ground then the flow on would be to the local comps.

The flip side to your question is no NRL team is signing guys straight off an NFL practice squad.

Maximus

Coach

Especially since those practice squad guys make over 200k USD

Good luck getting them to come here to learn the game on less than half that

Iamback

Coach
Why has the Swans consistently had the highest crowd average of any Sydney team since 1995 if nobody supports them?

Where did I say no supports them?
They were the only AFL team here for 30 years yet in a city of 5m people, They have 55k members.
AFL often rates under 100k here on TV. None of that screams huge support

Iamback

Coach

So you just don't look for players then?

There are 1m High School Gridion players, Very few make it. Hell some don't even make College.

How US can't get a comp running is a head scratcher, That is a 1st step

Last edited:

Latest posts