What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
Is Sydney North Shore really the most pressing concern for Rugby League in Australia?

Could we get any more insular in our vision for the game?
Yeh like all the regional clubs we have that tv has a disdain for

the funniest thing is when fans of regional clubs say they want league to be more like afl when afl has only one regional club

Wb1234

Referee
Don’t say that. The only reason people follow the Swans is because league teams died remember
That’s not what anyone has said

People have said the swans got a massive leg up because of super league and the rationalisation of Sydney clubs

it’s undeniable.

afl in Sydney was a joke before super league

Wb1234

Referee
Reads like News Limited puff piece after the TV deal embarrassment.

Announcing a profit for next season in October, is great accounting.

The only thing of substance was that they saved money in NRL staff salaries and they are going to buy even more pubs.

Saying in public that one of the options League should be looking at for greater player depth is the NFL, is f**king bonkers!
Are you Peter Fitzsimmons in disguise ?

profit is make believe

expansion is a puff piece

etc etc

Wb1234

Referee
Everything down to Byron Bay feels like it's part of Qld. Similar vibe to those sleepy hippy towns in NQ once you get away from the Gold Coast high-rises and commercial developments- which definitely extends to the Tweed River overpass.
I was literally going to say exactly this

byron is where the border should be

they are building a light rail going from right nest to tweed heads all the way up past main beach in surfers

t-ba

Post Whore
How do you know it's not due to changing demographics?

Interstate migration from the southern states to the northern states has been happening for decades.

Anyone who gives up rugby league for fumbleball would have been a fan of both sports to begin with, or at least had a casual interest in it.

The regions you're talking about are fairly close to the CBD and affluent, so it's understandable that working class RL fans have been forced out west and replaced by cashed up southerners.

Pretty rude to necro a two week old post, argue about it, declare the discussion over only to then start up a new one with me mate.

I reckon it would be decent of you not to dip out of the last discussion if you want to keep this up.

Iamback

Coach
Are you Peter Fitzsimmons in disguise ?

profit is make believe

expansion is a puff piece

etc etc

The players have the figures to discuss the cap.
The figures ( across the comp )will be public over the next month or so
So it isn't like it is a guess for 6 months time

Maximus

Coach
Where did I say no supports them?
They were the only AFL team here for 30 years yet in a city of 5m people, They have 55k members.
AFL often rates under 100k here on TV. None of that screams huge support

Well that's what you guys always claim.

They've averaged over 30k for 14 of the last 20 years (including the 2 covid years), and 2 of the other years were over 28k. NRL teams could only dream of having such little support.

Wb1234

Referee
Most people on here are just winger's

bagging everything with no real idea how to fix things
The players have the figures to discuss the cap.
The figures ( across the comp )will be public over the next month or so
So it isn't like it is a guess for 6 months time
One of those guys said I was a lunatic saying the arlc made close to 50 million a year profit and when I posted the link he just ignored it lmao

Colk

First Grade
That’s not what anyone has said

People have said the swans got a massive leg up because of super league and the rationalisation of Sydney clubs

it’s undeniable.

afl in Sydney was a joke before super league

Sure it helped but this theory still doesn’t explain why they had average attendances of 25k or above in 86, 87 and 96 then? What is the excuse for the Lions then? Or the Storm in Melbourne?

Wb1234

Referee
Sure it helped but this theory still doesn’t explain why they had average attendances of 25k or above in 86, 87 and 96 then? What is the excuse for the Lions then? Or the Storm in Melbourne?
Warwick cappers tight shorts and the pink helicopter from Edelsten

afl was still a joke back then though

Colk

First Grade
Yeh like all the regional clubs we have that tv has a disdain for

the funniest thing is when fans of regional clubs say they want league to be more like afl when afl has only one regional club

See I don’t see that at all (well other than a few anyway). The idea that people are arguing against is this idea that somehow the sport can’t look beyond QLD and NSW which the examples in fumbleball and for us the Storm show is complete nonsense.

Wb1234

Referee
See I don’t see that at all (well other than a few anyway). The idea that people are arguing against is this idea that somehow the sport can’t look beyond QLD and NSW which the examples in fumbleball and for us the Storm show is complete nonsense.
Strawman

whose said the game should only expand in nsw and qld

it’s the sad people who whine on and on about relocating Sydney clubs to Adelaide Perth or Singapore

Wb1234

Referee
Mate if we had teams in Sydney averaging over 25k a game we would rightfully celebrating.
I lived in Sydney then

nobody talked about afl

Other than those 25k (10k get in for free as members) nobody talked about afl back then

the sport was a pimple on the backside of Sydney sporting culture

Iamback

Coach
Well that's what you guys always claim.

They've averaged over 30k for 14 of the last 20 years (including the 2 covid years), and 2 of the other years were over 28k. NRL teams could only dream of having such little support.

And GWS... You know the club based where the RL clubs haven't been punted?

Iamback

Coach
bagging everything with no real idea how to fix things

One of those guys said I was a lunatic saying the arlc made close to 50 million a year profit and when I posted the link he just ignored it lmao

As I said people like to whinge

You can whinge that rule changes suck
Personally I thought the farce around the GF venue was a bad look.

TBH you will never agree with everything but it is very hard to argue the game is growing under current management

Colk

First Grade
Strawman

whose said the game should only expand in nsw and qld

it’s the sad people who whine on and on about relocating Sydney clubs to Adelaide Perth or Singapore

Aren’t people on here suggesting that the only way a Perth team could work would be by bringing a Sydney team back from the dead and plonking them there

The whole argument about or for the Bears is only being looked at from the supposed importance of the north of Sydney and not actually the benefit to the area they are supposed to represent.