What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Maximus

Coach
Made the GF in 2019
Played finals last year... crowds return they draw 6k

Parra ( Also in GWS territory ) ran 4th drew more

Bulldogs drew more than GWS.

WT drew more than GWS

So even in their good year RL was better supported

Last year there were no crowds for the 2nd half, and the 1st half of the season they were outside the top 8.

And this year they won 6 games, so even if people turn up at the start because they scraped into the finals the previous year, they are going to stop turning up pretty quick.

But yeah congrats on proving the AFL has no support in Sydney by resorting to talking about the Giants after you had no argument against the Swans crowds.

A great deal of talk about the Swans in this thread.
They have a great number of members, what 55k?
They sell out their games. I'm gathering that's all their members, bar a few?
Can anyone tell me what their best tv rating in Sydney was this year (besides the GF)?
I want to compare it to Sydney RL sides, and see the difference.
Because everyone here knows that TV rights are the real payers of all football codes in Australia.
Are 7 and Fox getting bang-for-their-buck in regards to the Swans?

Linky

idc what idiots say vlandys is the best leader rugby league has ever had

not the best in the nrl, the best since gillitnan

he’s taking our sport to a new level under his leadership

every club should thank him because most of them are run like chook raffles but since their funding is so high it doesn’t matter
V'landys has done a lot of good things. He had the guts to bring in Brisbane when no one else would. I think Redcliffe have made some silly mistakes after gaining admission, but that's not V'landys' fault ane only time will tell what impact it has on them.

The problem with V'landys is he's cost the game money, either out of incompetence or worse. I hope he didn't give our broadcasters a sweet deal so they don't go after him like they did with Greenberg and Smith.

I don't think he's done the game any favours with the WA Gov and this crap about the Bears has the potential to kill RL in Perth if things play out as people suspect.

If he's able to broker a good deal with the WA Gov to bring in the Pirates on the condition they're given a CoE and an upgrade to Perth Oval then he'll be the greatest leader we've ever had.

Wb1234

Referee
V'landys has done a lot of good things. He had the guts to bring in Brisbane when no one else would. I think Redcliffe have made some silly mistakes after gaining admission, but that's not V'landys' fault ane only time will tell what impact it has on them.

The problem with V'landys is he's cost the game money, either out of incompetence or worse. I hope he didn't give our broadcasters a sweet deal so they don't go after him like they did with Greenberg and Smith.

I don't think he's done the game any favours with the WA Gov and this crap about the Bears has the potential to kill RL in Perth if things play out as people suspect.

If he's able to broker a good deal with the WA Gov to bring in the Pirates on the condition they're given a CoE and an upgrade to Perth Oval then he'll be the greatest leader we've ever had.
No way norths can take the license back to Sydney

pure fantasy

that 18 th team sets up the nrl for the next ten years

and I can see them going to 20

these are quality teams he’s adding to the comp

this forum just likes to nitpick

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears “so if we join with manly then the license will always stay in gosford?”
nrl “yep that’s right”
bears “sweet we are in”
manly short time later “this isnt working we need to move back to brookvale”
nrl” oh ok then”
bears “wtf?”

basically change manly for bears and bears for perth and thats what a fifo bears outcome ends up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A great deal of talk about the Swans in this thread.
They have a great number of members, what 55k?
They sell out their games. I'm gathering that's all their members, bar a few?
Can anyone tell me what their best tv rating in Sydney was this year (besides the GF)?
I want to compare it to Sydney RL sides, and see the difference.
Because everyone here knows that TV rights are the real payers of all football codes in Australia.
Are 7 and Fox getting bang-for-their-buck in regards to the Swans?
402v 643 the only figures that matter.

This is why I'm not worried about the AFL, because their views on expansion are basically GROTD without wanting to kill off clubs from one of their heartlands with generations of support...
AwFuL did try to relocate North Melbourne to Gold Coast. That club is really struggling. This season their average attendance was just 14k.

I wouldn't be surprised if AwFuL are waiting for an opportunity to f**k them off to Cairns, Canberra or Tasmania.

Sydney clubs don't need to die if they're willing to relocate to Adelaide, Perth and New Zealand. It would make sense to revoke the Tigers' licence and give it to Easts Tigers so try can rebrand as Brisbane Tigers. The Balmain contingent of Wests Tigers fanbase is far larger than the Magpies side and southern Brisbane needs a team. Easts Tigers are cashed up. Sharks are a basketncase and holding Dragons back because Southern Sydney isn't big enough to support two teams. Let Dragons take over all of Southern Sydney and Illawarra. West Coast Sharks is a better brand than Western Bears.

Let Roosters take over the North Shore and have Manly take over Central Coast. Bulldogs and Panthers could take over Magpies' territory and Eels take over the Balmain district. Give it a generation or two and you'll have kids from these areas supporting the team who took over their region.

Iamback

Coach
No argument from me on that matter, in hindsight Vlandys made a terrible decision to go to negotiations early and believe the BS he was fed by the networks.

He likes to bend the truth with the figures, Wifi upgrades at Marvel Stadium aren't going to pay the AFL players.

$600m revenue for NRL. $50m profit only that AFL loving stooge finds any problem with that

He likes to bend the truth with the figures, Wifi upgrades at Marvel Stadium aren't going to pay the AFL players.

$600m revenue for NRL. $50m profit only that AFL loving stooge finds any problem with that
I have to admit that I didn't know that was the real figure. Thanks for clarifying.

Canard

Immortal
That article didn't mention the Bears.

It said the 18th team could come in 2027 or sooner DEPENDING on how the Dolphins go.

For mine, the success or otherwise of the Dolphins should be irrelevant to the introduction of a new team.

Maximus

Coach
Once again, the NRL is claiming a profit for next season (2023), a full 12 months out.

Nobody finds that odd?

And our extra talent will come from the NFL! f**k me

I find it hilarious that people are bragging about projections before the financial year has even started. Especially projected profits where you have to increase your profit margin by more than 1% to get to the projection

Canard

Immortal
I find it hilarious that people are bragging about projections before the financial year has even started. Especially projected profits where you have to increase your profit margin by more than 1% to get to the projection

The state of the global economy isn't great, interest rates are rising, inflation is going through the roof, wage pressure will be immense.

It's foolish to forecast a profit this far out.

Canard

Immortal
Yeah but they can cut more staff and funding to grassroots, which apparently are good things.

Other then the Dolphins inclusion, that's really all that article tells us. They slashed spending by 20%, ergo we don't need more money from TV.

If anything we will ask for less money, next time!

Canard

Immortal
I can't get over how cooked the NRL CEO looks by publicly saying we are going to expand the game via NFL players.

Latest posts