What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
He likes to bend the truth with the figures, Wifi upgrades at Marvel Stadium aren't going to pay the AFL players.

$600m revenue for NRL. $50m profit only that AFL loving stooge finds any problem with that
550 v 370 cold hard cash
I guess if they keep spending less on grass roots then sure a surplus looks great.

MugaB

Coach
550 v 370 cold hard cash
I guess if they keep spending less on grass roots then sure a surplus looks great.
Not like you guys in WA will use it for grassroots, dont even have a pathway to a team yet... might aswell keep it and show all the folk on these forums that theres heaps of money if its not wasted on rusted on afl states

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not like you guys in WA will use it for grassroots, dont even have a pathway to a team yet... might aswell keep it and show all the folk on these forums that theres heaps of money if its not wasted on rusted on afl states
Nice one , you’ve summed up pistol Pete’s lack of growth strategy nicely.
Oh but you missed out the bit where we will be getting players from the NFL to cover this lack of growth and investment lol

Colk

First Grade
Nice one , you’ve summed up pistol Pete’s lack of growth strategy nicely.
Oh but you missed out the bit where we will be getting players from the NFL to cover this lack of growth and investment lol

Surely he must have meant college talent that haven’t been picked up at all by the NFL?

If he meant that then ok sure there is some potential there but even then it is a lot easier and more cost effective to fund/acquire talent in Australia and the Pacific Islands.

Iamback

Coach
I have to admit that I didn't know that was the real figure. Thanks for clarifying.

Not confirmed yet. Being independently audited still but given there is a revenue share with the players, lying from the NRL makes no sense.

As to your original question, No one knows
Take the $643m AFL announced
That includes Telstra money for the website and upgrades to Marvel Stadium
As well other non cash contra - You can't pay players with that. So cash is what matters

All NRL say is over $400m cash - how much over is the unknown, Nor is what the extra contra is known

reanimate

Bench
Surely he must have meant college talent that haven’t been picked up at all by the NFL?

If he meant that then ok sure there is some potential there but even then it is a lot easier and more cost effective to fund/acquire talent in Australia and the Pacific Islands.
Or, if we want to recruit talent from other sports, just pinch talent from Union, a sport with many of the same basic skills as ours. There’s people playing in places like South Africa’s lower grades with body types more suited to League than Union. They’d make handy cheap pickups.

We definitely haven’t exhausted the world’s rugby talent when it comes to sourcing players for the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Once again, the NRL is claiming a profit for next season (2023), a full 12 months out.

Nobody finds that odd?

And our extra talent will come from the NFL! f**k me
Yeh it sucks doesn’t it

who does this vlandys think he is running the games finances so well in comparison to any other sport

Iamback

Coach

Correct actual quote us attached. states players who miss out on NFL

Look at the populations of the islands though. Then you have to think some aligned with RU.

Attachments

• B776E19F-AD96-4444-9797-A274B28EE4DA.png
    B776E19F-AD96-4444-9797-A274B28EE4DA.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 12

Colk

First Grade
Or, if we want to recruit talent from other sports, just pinch talent from Union, a sport with many of the same basic skills as ours. There’s people playing in places like South Africa’s lower grades with body types more suited to League than Union. They’d make handy cheap pickups.

We definitely haven’t exhausted the world’s rugby talent when it comes to sourcing players for the NRL.

Exactly. It is not bad that there is some thinking outside the square per se but as you’ve said getting talent from America is a little bit more difficult than other options.

If the NFL angle was explained as the need to expand the game into the US to try and get into their huge TV money market, and their plan is to start by getting some of their missed talent and work it into long term planning. That may be easier to understand. Who knows.
Personally, right now I feel the need to fund Junior Country Rugby League is of utmost importance. If they mean to expand the NRL they need more juniors coming through, and country league needs help in elite pathways. Country League has always been a lifeblood.

edit: i just saw lambacks post.

Iamback

Coach
If the NFL angle was explained as the need to expand the game into the US to try and get into their huge TV money market, and their plan is to start by getting some of their missed talent and work it into long term planning. That may be easier to understand. Who knows.
Personally, right now I feel the need to fund Junior Country Rugby League is of utmost importance. If they mean to expand the NRL they need more juniors coming through, and country league needs help in elite pathways. Country League has always been a lifeblood.

edit: i just saw lambacks post.

The issue with Country sport in general is country towns are dying, Less people = Less teams etc.

Women's sport is the big one. Having $30k minimum wage is a huge win for me

Wb1234

Referee
By making up figures for the period 01/11/2022 to 31/10/2023?
Yeh the chairman of a business won’t be able to forecast profits lmaooo

surely if you want to talk about ceo who makes stuff up the guy that got kicked out of the afl is a better target for your ire ?

Canard

Immortal
For expansion of Rugby League talent pool, surely

- Grass roots in RL states and NZ
- Grass roots in non-RL states and NZ
- Rugby Union in Australia, NZ, UK and South Africa

With NFL being way way down the list

Shooting off at the mouth doesn't really help.

Last edited:

Steel Saints

Juniors
V'landys has done a lot of good things. He had the guts to bring in Brisbane when no one else would. I think Redcliffe have made some silly mistakes after gaining admission, but that's not V'landys' fault ane only time will tell what impact it has on them.

The problem with V'landys is he's cost the game money, either out of incompetence or worse. I hope he didn't give our broadcasters a sweet deal so they don't go after him like they did with Greenberg and Smith.

I don't think he's done the game any favours with the WA Gov and this crap about the Bears has the potential to kill RL in Perth if things play out as people suspect.

If he's able to broker a good deal with the WA Gov to bring in the Pirates on the condition they're given a CoE and an upgrade to Perth Oval then he'll be the greatest leader we've ever had.
I like your last paragraph. The NRL should be on the phone or in Perth personally to broker the deal with WA govt.

Iamback

Coach
For expansion of Rugby League talent pool, surely

- Grass roots in RL states and NZ
- Grass roots in non-RL states and NZ
- Rugby Union in Australia, NZ, UK and South Africa

With NFL being way way down the list

Shooting off at the mouth doesn't really help.

So if you plan to one day have a pipeline to US for players, Means you can't do all of the above?

Maximus

Coach
How do you plan for salary caps and alike otherwise?

Umm I don't see anyone having a problem with the revenue number. If they don't have a good forecast for revenue right now, that's a problem.

Bragging about a $50m profit at this stage is incredibly dumb