What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Smacks of Vlandys, it will get a fraction of the money and audience of the Melb cup and he will be telling everyone how successful it was and how they've overstated their importance. its a like a stuck record with him, is anyone still buying it?

Most of Pete’s press releases are about the AFL and Melbourne’s spring racing carnival - Pete makes it part of any discussions about him.

The Melbourne Cup has its own issues.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Melbourne Cup has its own issues.

Thats more a horse racing issue. More and more people are turning away from it along with greyhounds after cruelty stories and gambling turn off. Melbourne cup is just the most obvious event as its the only national one. I know at my workplace more and more people are opting out of the day now.
Interestingly I think the bombardment of betting ads in everyone's faces these days is having an opposite effect and turning people off gambling. Not a bad thing given Australia has the highest gambling spend in the world per head of population.

Wb1234

Referee
That'd be great, when's he going to start? He's coming from a long way back after the fumblers recent media deal.
I mean you could’ve noticed he just added a club to the nrl which has 75 years of history and 100 million in assets and which is going to help squash afl like a bug in Brisbane

or how he’s going to add another team in a few years which is most likely Perth

if that doesn’t satisfy you I guess we can go back to guys like Beattie or Greenberg who talk about expanding and doing nothing at all

Colk

First Grade
How exactly is that "absolute brilliance"?

I think words like ‘brilliance’ or ‘genius’ are so overused now that they have lost all meaning.

It sounds like it might be a smart thing to do (not having any interest in racing at all) that’s all.

Wb1234

Referee
I think words like ‘brilliance’ or ‘genius’ are so overused now that they have lost all meaning.

It sounds like it might be a smart thing to do (not having any interest in racing at all) that’s all.
Genius is copying an idea from rugby league and promoting it as better than the original

it only took gill the dill five years or so to work out magic is a good idea

next he’s going to copy the end of season internationals the arlc is bringing in

oh wait

Iamback

Coach
It already gets a big crowd, and it will never become a big race because everyone who isn't a sycophant can see it's just a desperate attempt to claim Sydney racing is bigger than Melbourne racing. That's why it's named what it is, and positioned when it is

This post just shows the lack of knowledge you have and just the want to take potshots without the facts

I hate the term but people call the Grand Final the big dance.

The big Dance here is the respective Country Cup winners from all across the State in the one race. So the same concept

“Racing NSW is about making racing around the state better, and this race will be a focal point for horses coming through the grades for years to come,” Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys said.

“It is there to complement the Melbourne Cup and not compete with it, and gives Sydney racing fans feature races to watch at Randwick on Tuesday.”

Care to point me to where it was ever going to be a competition?

Maximus

Coach
This post just shows the lack of knowledge you have and just the want to take potshots without the facts

I hate the term but people call the Grand Final the big dance.

The big Dance here is the respective Country Cup winners from all across the State in the one race. So the same concept

“Racing NSW is about making racing around the state better, and this race will be a focal point for horses coming through the grades for years to come,” Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys said.

“It is there to complement the Melbourne Cup and not compete with it, and gives Sydney racing fans feature races to watch at Randwick on Tuesday.”

Care to point me to where it was ever going to be a competition?

If he's not trying to create a competition, why call it the big dance and put it an hr after the Melbourne Cup?

Also, there is already a country championship held at Randwick every year in April

It's embarrassing how desperate you are to defend him

Smug Panther

First Grade
If he's not trying to create a competition, why call it the big dance and put it an hr after the Melbourne Cup?

Also, there is already a country championship held at Randwick every year in April

Because it's a great business decision

MugaB

Coach

You must be a moron, its on at 2:30pm, 30 mins BEFORE the Melbourne cup.. it doesn't run after or at the same time, there's a bit of a lull before the start at flemigton in the build up to race 7, so this randwick race being held then is perfect

Wb1234

Referee
Before vlandys took over the Victorian spring racing carnival was untouchable. By creating so many big events … the Everest, golden eagle and the big dance …he’s certainly put the nsw racing on the map

if it hasn’t surpassed Victoria yet it will one day

I’m sure the board of nsw racing is thrilled to bits with their ceo

the parallels with rugby league and the Victorian football code are obvious

this guy is happy taking on the establishment and genuinely has a thing for nsw being number one. He thinks outside the box and looks to create new revenue sources