What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Jamberoo

Juniors
Before vlandys took over the Victorian spring racing carnival was untouchable. By creating so many big events … the Everest, golden eagle and the big dance …he’s certainly put the nsw racing on the map

if it hasn’t surpassed Victoria yet it will one day

I’m sure the board of nsw racing is thrilled to bits with their ceo

the parallels with rugby league and the Victorian football code are obvious

this guy is happy taking on the establishment and genuinely has a thing for nsw being number one. He thinks outside the box and looks to create new revenue sources
Ha! It will never surpass Melbourne. The total crowd for the four main days here usually over 300k. Often 400k. As is often discussed here Sydney is just not into sports and events like Melbourne.

The best horses are here because of the history and prestige of the southern hemisphere’s greatest race. You can’t buy that.

The price money from the Everest comes from the entry fee anyway, it is not like NSW racing is generating any great revenue from. NSW is miles behind. Thinking they will ever overtake Melbourne is akin to thinking that the AFL will ever gain any traction in Western Sydney. Or that Perth will ever get an NRL team.

Wb1234

Referee
Ha! It will never surpass Melbourne. The total crowd for the four main days here usually over 300k. Often 400k. As is often discussed here Sydney is just not into sports and events like Melbourne.

The best horses are here because of the history and prestige of the southern hemisphere’s greatest race. You can’t buy that.

The price money from the Everest comes from the entry fee anyway, it is not like NSW racing is generating any great revenue from. NSW is miles behind. Thinking they will ever overtake Melbourne is akin to thinking that the AFL will ever gain any traction in Western Sydney. Or that Perth will ever get an NRL team.

Oh and Perth is about to get an nrl team too

Storm80

Juniors
Before vlandys took over the Victorian spring racing carnival was untouchable. By creating so many big events … the Everest, golden eagle and the big dance …he’s certainly put the nsw racing on the map

if it hasn’t surpassed Victoria yet it will one day

I’m sure the board of nsw racing is thrilled to bits with their ceo

the parallels with rugby league and the Victorian football code are obvious

this guy is happy taking on the establishment and genuinely has a thing for nsw being number one. He thinks outside the box and looks to create new revenue sources
And there it is the ball and chain that holds back NRL… thinking it’s always about making NSW no.1… NSW centric thinking will always be NRLs Achilles heel.

Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?

They want the code to remain no.1 in Australia. It’s not about “Victoria” it’s about the southern code of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA dominating the nation.

it’s not NSW v Victoria.

AFL is NSW vs the interests of Victoria, Tasmania, SA and WA. You NSW people just don’t grasp it - because you look down on Qlders (and every other state and territory for that matter) and always screw over Qld cause “Sydney” is the heart of league and Sydney is so much better and smarter than everyone else.

You NSW’s people will just never get it. Your all about NSW being no.1 while Qld embarrasses you most years in Origin. Your focus is all wrong. There should have been 5-6 NRL teams in Queensland by now. At the expense of two teams in Sydney. Then push to the southern states and NZ.

Melbourne will have more population than Sydney by at least 2035. Your state is spread out over a much bigger space than Victoria. So maintaining infrastructure for your sports including NRL and Racing across the state and in country areas is much more expensive. You’ll always be susceptible to foreign raids from AFL because of it.

If NRL don’t take games to northern NSW - guess where AFL gonna start throwing the $175m a year more they get from media rights they get?

Then there’s Wollongong and Newcastle. Both cities have shit teams and are taken for granted. They are ripe for pinching a percentage of kids by funding local sport, academies and school programs.

If you NSW league fans thought AFL just thought they’d shove gws in west Sydney and be done with it, you got no idea what’s coming. They are litterally 10 years into a 50 year plan to establish GWS as a brand.

Old Beta PVL just gifted AFL the greatest leg up in Australian sporting history by soft balling negotiations with channel 9 and Foxtel.

Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong not to mention everything north of Newcastle to Brisbane is ripe for picking. You seriously think AFL aren’t planning to set themselves up in NSW and Qld for generations to come with the extra $500m they get from 2025-27?

They just keep chipping away and reinvesting money in everything north of the Riverina and keep growing the pool of playing talent.

It’s actually sad how clueless NSW league fans are about how NRL should be administered.

And there it is the ball and chain that holds back NRL… thinking it’s always about making NSW no.1… NSW centric thinking will always be NRLs Achilles heel.

Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?

They want the code to remain no.1 in Australia. It’s not about “Victoria” it’s about the southern code of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA dominating the nation.

it’s not NSW v Victoria.

AFL is NSW vs the interests of Victoria, Tasmania, SA and WA. You NSW people just don’t grasp it - because you look down on Qlders (and every other state and territory for that matter) and always screw over Qld cause “Sydney” is the heart of league and Sydney is so much better and smarter than everyone else.

You NSW’s people will just never get it. Your all about NSW being no.1 while Qld embarrasses you most years in Origin. Your focus is all wrong. There should have been 5-6 NRL teams in Queensland by now. At the expense of two teams in Sydney. Then push to the southern states and NZ.

Melbourne will have more population than Sydney by at least 2035. Your state is spread out over a much bigger space than Victoria. So maintaining infrastructure for your sports including NRL and Racing across the state and in country areas is much more expensive. You’ll always be susceptible to foreign raids from AFL because of it.

If NRL don’t take games to northern NSW - guess where AFL gonna start throwing the $175m a year more they get from media rights they get?

Then there’s Wollongong and Newcastle. Both cities have shit teams and are taken for granted. They are ripe for pinching a percentage of kids by funding local sport, academies and school programs.

If you NSW league fans thought AFL just thought they’d shove gws in west Sydney and be done with it, you got no idea what’s coming. They are litterally 10 years into a 50 year plan to establish GWS as a brand.

Old Beta PVL just gifted AFL the greatest leg up in Australian sporting history by soft balling negotiations with channel 9 and Foxtel.

Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong not to mention everything north of Newcastle to Brisbane is ripe for picking. You seriously think AFL aren’t planning to set themselves up in NSW and Qld for generations to come with the extra $500m they get from 2025-27?

They just keep chipping away and reinvesting money in everything north of the Riverina and keep growing the pool of playing talent.

It’s actually sad how clueless NSW league fans are about how NRL should be administered.
I agree that the AFL are far better forward thinkers and better developers of new markets than their NRL counterparts but don’t get your argument about having six teams in QLD at the expense of two Sydney teams. There are still only two AFL teams in all other states outside of Victoria bar Tassie of course and there’s still ten teams in Victoria so I don’t see the NRL doing anything wrong in that regard. I reckon the AFL is every bit Melbourne-centric as the NRL is Sydney. Also, don’t underestimate the damage super league caused. We had two teams in frontier states and a genuine Brisbane derby before that shit set us back. They’ve been persistent with Gold Coast and NZ despite years of shitness so there’s signs the game is learning I guess.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I agree that the AFL are far better forward thinkers and better developers of new markets than their NRL counterparts but don’t get your argument about having six teams in QLD at the expense of two Sydney teams. There are still only two AFL teams in all other states outside of Victoria bar Tassie of course and there’s still ten teams in Victoria so I don’t see the NRL doing anything wrong in that regard. Seems to me the AFL is every bit Melbourne-centric as the NRL is Sydney. Also, don’t underestimate the damage super league caused. We had two teams in frontier states and a genuine Brisbane derby before that shit set us back.
Afl got lucky with super league

In 95 rugby league was first and daylight was second. Good luck to the fumblers, like Stephen Bradbury, they got the gold medal cause better performers had accidents

but now that rugby league is back on a growth path it’s going to go back to where it was in 95. I can easily see a 20 team nrl and afl will be lucky to still have the giants and suns not relocating

with the dolphins in Brisbane, both qld afl sides are going to need a lot more money now

Iamback

Coach
I agree that the AFL are far better forward thinkers and better developers of new markets than their NRL counterparts but don’t get your argument about having six teams in QLD at the expense of two Sydney teams. There are still only two AFL teams in all other states outside of Victoria bar Tassie of course and there’s still ten teams in Victoria so I don’t see the NRL doing anything wrong in that regard. I reckon the AFL is every bit Melbourne-centric as the NRL is Sydney. Also, don’t underestimate the damage super league caused. We had two teams in frontier states and a genuine Brisbane derby before that shit set us back. They’ve been persistent with Gold Coast and NZ despite years of shitness so there’s signs the game is learning I guess.

Good post

The biggest issue RL has is it shoots itself in the foot. Hopefully these moments become less and less over time

Afl got lucky with super league

In 95 rugby league was first and daylight was second. Good luck to the fumblers, like Stephen Bradbury, they got the gold medal cause better performers had accidents

but now that rugby league is back on a growth path it’s going to go back to where it was in 95. I can easily see a 20 team nrl and afl will be lucky to still have the giants and suns not relocating

with the dolphins in Brisbane, both qld afl sides are going to need a lot more money now
Really interested to see how the Dolphins go. When talk of a second Brissey team began, I assumed it would’ve been a Crushers-type new club but given how well the Broncos are established now, they’ve decided to go for an existing club with an established fan base like Adelaide have done with Port. Weather that’s a deterrent to attracting new fans from outside their district remains to be seen.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
made smart arse comments whilst looking a fool in an ill fitting suit probably. That'll show them!
The irony is, like in our world, NSW racing is nearly $200mill a year behind Vic racing in revenue.
But hey you cant directly compare as they include other things lol. Seems Pistol Pete just cant beat the competition.
So you're anti gambling but are prepared to use gambling stats to push your absurd hatred.
That pistol you keep talking about could be really handy....

Colk

First Grade
AFL has the same level of following in Newcastle that ISIS does. Would be hilarious if they wasted money trying to make inroads here.

It is not even that it is just that here it is wall to wall Knights no matter how shit they have been.

I get that the poster is saying that the fumblers have more money or have been better managed or better negotiators over the past however long but to suggest that they are going to make significant inroads in Newcastle and the Central Coast shows a lack of awareness of the areas.

Iamback

Coach
It is not even that it is just that here it is wall to wall Knights no matter how shit they have been.

I get that the poster is saying that the fumblers have more money or have been better managed or better negotiators over the past however long but to suggest that they are going to make significant inroads in Newcastle and the Central Coast shows a lack of awareness of the areas.

It is a common trait with the interstate posters on here

Iamback

Coach
Really interested to see how the Dolphins go. When talk of a second Brissey team began, I assumed it would’ve been a Crushers-type new club but given how well the Broncos are established now, they’ve decided to go for an existing club with an established fan base like Adelaide have done with Port. Weather that’s a deterrent to attracting new fans from outside their district remains to be seen.

I see it as the opposite, GC Titans have struggled with Pathways especially, Storm have been good on field but lack Vic Juniors.

So I see the Redcliffe link as good. Dropping the Redcliffe name hopefully gets it seen as a new club in the part of attracting fans

Absolute fumbleball comedy gold. So fumbleball, fantasy land, bubbles in the air, fumbleball dreaming. " ripe for the picking "

Even looks a bit like the `hardman` Twoby Green.

I thought this was the comedy part????

"Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?"

I mean the NRL has had two Chairmen from Qld, John Grant and Peter Beattie.
And maybe, just maybe, the NRL has gone a bit further and stretched their wings with CEO's internationally.
Dave Smith, David Moffett and the current CEO, Andrew Abdo.

The VFL can be happy with themselves to have gone so outside the box to far reaching places such as South Australia.

Colk

First Grade

"Compare it with AFL. They’ve had two CEO’s from South Australia. How many Queensalnd CEO’s NRL had?"

And maybe, just maybe, the NRL has gone a bit further and stretched their wings with CEO's internationally.

The VFL can be happy with themselves to have gone so outside the box to far reaching places such as South Australia.

Like he actually had some very good points. It’s inarguable that they have managed themselves a lot better over the last 30 or so years.

Then he had some pretty weird tangents like this and the one about fumbleball taking over Newcastle and the Central Coast

Like he actually had some very good points. It’s inarguable that they have managed themselves a lot better over the last 30 or so years.

Then he had some pretty weird tangents like this and the one about fumbleball taking over Newcastle and the Central Coast
I'll have to read the rest of the post. I stopped after that line as I had to run to the dunny as I was pissing myself

Iamback

Coach

I gave up reading he/she's dribble a few lines in but this is all good points.

Fumbleball cant afford any more money pits like Great Waste of Space or the thuns