What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Steel Saints

Juniors
It’s a no brainer

they’ve already got a sponsorship portfolio that’s one of the biggest in the nrl

committed 2 million pa on juniors own a shopping centre and a leagues club

and that northern coridoor is forecast to have major population growth

throw in south western Brisbane as team 19 and qld will be offering growth for years

Brisbane in the centre, dolphins north, jets south west and titans south east

Back in '97, there were 22 teams. Ten with Super League, twelve with the ARL. Could the game expand to 22 teams one day?

18th- Perth
19th- NZ 2
20th- Brisbane 3
21st- Adelaide
22nd- PNG or Central Coast

All of that expansion can happen, especially if the NRL maxmises future broadcast deals. At the moment, it's not maximising broadcast revenue.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Thanks for confirming yet again that you are a fan of the Anglo-Irish game, and know doubt your fans on bigfooty will be happy with you being in there corner
Being a pom can you tell us where the GB AFL grand final is held in the UK. Lords? The Oval? Trent bridge? Old Trafford? Headingely? or Clapham common? LOL
Perhaps a list of professional and semi professional fumbleball clubs out of Australia? LOL, and don't say they don't want to expand because they do, as in the past they have held competition point matches in New Zealand and even took blood money from China, a country with a terrible human rights record, but you fumbleball fans won't mind that because you have no morals when it comes to money
Oh they do alright, you only have to look at Wookie`s Sportsindustry site recently to see all the hilarious reports of how their game is booming in Canada, the U.S. and even their Asian Championships the other day, won by a team from Pakistan no less.
I`ve been loving it, smacks of `we`ve got an international profile as well you know ` especially with so many other codes hosting international tournaments presently.

Iamback

Coach
Back in '97, there were 22 teams. Ten with Super League, twelve with the ARL. Could the game expand to 22 teams one day?

18th- Perth
19th- NZ 2
20th- Brisbane 3
21st- Adelaide

All of that expansion can happen, especially if the NRL maxmises future broadcast deals. At the moment, it's not maximising broadcast revenue.

The game is expanding though, A far cry from the years of 98-2010 when the game was in a huge hole and at 1 stage was down to 14 teams

Last edited:
Oh they do alright, you only have to look at Wookie`s Sportsindustry site recently to see all the hilarious reports of how their game is booming in Canada, the U.S. and even their Asian Championships the other day, won by a team from Pakistan no less.
I`ve been loving it, smacks of `we`ve got an international profile as well you know ` especially with so many other codes hosting international tournaments presently.
I wonder what the TV ratings are for fumbleball outside of Australia?
Lets not forget that they have to pay a UK TV to show their games LOL, and there Grand Final in the UK is held on Clapham common, and watched by and old man and and old lady walking their dogs LOL

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I wonder what the TV ratings are for fumbleball outside of Australia?
Lets not forget that they have to pay a UK TV to show their games LOL, and there Grand Final in the UK is held on Clapham common, and watched by and old man and and old lady walking their dogs LOL
Hey don`t laugh, my son told me recently it`s the national game of Nauru.

" Nauru is a tiny island country in Micronesia, northeast of Australia. It features a coral reef and white-sand beaches fringed with palms. The rocky outcrop of Command Ridge, the island's highest point, has a rusty Japanese outpost from WWII."

One day they`ll be saying has a rusty set of fumbleball goalposts on the outskirts of town.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The game is expanding though, A far cry from the years of 98-2010 when the game was in a huge hole and at 1 stage was down to 14 teams

When the game was part owned by News, they were happy with just 14 teams. But Souths coming back wasn't in News Ltd's plans. With 15 teams, it forced itself to expand to 16 with the Titans. Why wasn't Perth the 16th team back in 2007?

Perth Red

Post Whore
23 people a game, This is a year in which Warriors couldn't go home and is the wettest in history
ok well go back to 2019 pre covid impact, crowds were still bigger in 2011! In fact we had a bit of a purple patch for crowds of 16k plus around then but then fell away again to a 20 year avg level of around 15k. Great to see membership growth but crowds havent reflected it is the point.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When the game was part owned by News, they were happy with just 14 teams. But Souths coming back wasn't in News Ltd's plans. With 15 teams, it forced itself to expand to 16 with the Titans. Why wasn't Perth the 16th team back in 2007?
In fairness the game had been on its knees in WA since 1998 and was only just starting to show some green shoots of regrowth in the mid 2000's. It wasn't really until around 2010 that it got back on its feet and started to look strong enough for an NRL club again.

Im a fan of their revenue generation and their national strategy. The game? nah boring as batsht.
Nice of you to show so much interest in me by the way :)
Mate they love you on bigfooty because you have never had a good word to say about Rugby League, now come on condemn the racism in fumbelball and condemn fumbleball for taking blood money from China

Colk

First Grade
Hey don`t laugh, my son told me recently it`s the national game of Nauru.

" Nauru is a tiny island country in Micronesia, northeast of Australia. It features a coral reef and white-sand beaches fringed with palms. The rocky outcrop of Command Ridge, the island's highest point, has a rusty Japanese outpost from WWII."

One day they`ll be saying has a rusty set of fumbleball goalposts on the outskirts of town.

Is this actually something they have said?

Jamberoo

Juniors
Where are you predicting the next side will come from then? Another QLD side? Another NZ side?
Nah, with the WA govt now getting behind it and helping to frame the bid, Perth is the go. Pete won’t like it, but, time to put the ‘National’ into the National Rugba League.

Wb1234

Referee
Those issues are related to horse racing in general, not specifically the Melbourne Cup. Gambling is scourge on society, and the cruelty issues are more prominent in today's society. Horse racing will eventually die off or be banned, but not for many decades. We have covered this already.

And don't get Perth Red too excited, not sure a Perth team is coming on Pete's watch.
Yeh you aren’t wrong about the issues in horse racing

an 18th nrl team is a formality they won’t want the bye for too long

it depends on how the dolphins go next year as to whether it’s 2025 it happens or later

the only chatter is around Perth. The govt is doing what it can to get a team

the only condition on the license will be that Perth red isn’t allowed to go to games

Wb1234

Referee

18th- Perth
19th- NZ 2
20th- Brisbane 3
21st- Adelaide

Absolutely

the whole idea of expansion is to grow the tv deals and money the game makes over what the new clubs cost

player depth isn’t an issue either

nrl clubs aren’t even close to optimum in Sydney with most clubs doing little in junior development

then there’s the pacific islands nz and png we can raid them

super league too could add way more nrl players than it currently does

Colk

First Grade
Nah, with the WA govt now getting behind it and helping to frame the bid, Perth is the go. Pete won’t like it, but, time to put the ‘National’ into the National Rugba League.

Totally agree with you. I just asking more about where you think it will be if V’Landys is there (if you were to put your money on it) not where it should be.

I wouldn’t have put money on it at the start of the year - I would have expected another NZ side and I still think that is a possibility - but there is so much smoke about Perth atm that they are now a big shot. NZ 2 has died down a bit.

Latest posts