What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Then why did you bag the amount you said the NRL be better spent here if they haven't got $40m pa.
Each way bet ?
Sometimes man I get the impression you are posting from a Pommy pub drinking warm p*ss and are living thousands of kms from the land down under.
You got on the pss right, but at moment I’m on The Gold Coast lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well what SA based companies are waiting to come on board should a team come in?
Haighs chocolate and coopers beer lol

youre missing the point, it’s more how much more will a national company pay more in Sponsorship if you’re product is exposed to every major market in australia instead of 3/5ths of them. Personally if I was selling my products nationally I wouldn’t be attracted to a sport that is ignoring two states that has 4.5million people in them.

youre missing the point, it’s more how much more will a national company pay more in Sponsorship if you’re product is exposed to every major market in australia instead of 3/5ths of them. Personally if I was selling my products nationally I wouldn’t be attracted to a sport that is ignoring two states that has 4.5million people in them.
If your company is that big then your products are likely available in NZ (5mil+ population) just like some of their brands are available in our market such as Fisher & Paykle or Whitakers Chocolates for example. NZ is an easier sell than the remaining states plus there’s value-add in the Pacific. Would like to see teams eventually make it out your way but I’d prioritise a second team for NZ. I’d only expand west if sponsors and TV are telling us to but I reckon they’re more interested in where the best investment is.

Canard

Immortal
Using that theory, Why have corporate boxes at the game?

Those areas get what they need.

Pumping $40m into to somewhere like Perth simply makes no sense because you aren't going to get it back
You think the US has a higher chance of return then another Australian state or capital city??

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You think the US has a higher chance of return then another Australian state??
it has a chance of a higher return, but that chance is incredibly slim and needs a much bigger strategy than one event a year if we are serious.
soccer, union etc are tiny there despite spending a sht load money over a much longer time than league will do.

I’m always staggered how ignorant of the outside world most Americans are, it’s really quite scary when you spend time there. I once got baked a strawberry flan as they had heard it was the national dish of australia lol

Iamback

Coach
You think the US has a higher chance of return then another Australian state or capital city??

Adelaide for example, Already has access to Fox Sports, Ch9.

RL as a sport maybe can get 100-200k new fans given AFL, cricket etc will still be in front popularity wise.

Many of them would already enjoy several sports so would be an existing subscriber to Fox/Kayo. As such adds minimal to the TV deal

As opposed to a market with 330m people, That is open to most sports particularly as NRL runs in the NFL off season.

6 nations RU final drew 550k. Attainable for RL but a very minor drop in the ocean overall in comparison to US sports

That 550k paying $100 a year for watchNRL or whatever it is called is $55m to the game.

If you get that same about to then bet on the game. Would be more than the $100 a year across the season.

a % would then flow into the game.

Across the 5 year period makes that $200m investment be money well spent.

If a few rich guys enjoy the game and invest locally, Their standard improves and the game internationally starts making money.

On the field though the clubs will continue to take what talent is around. So it isn't like the other areas gets ignored

Perth Red

Post Whore

RL as a sport maybe can get 100-200k new fans given AFL, cricket etc will still be in front popularity wise.

Many of them would already enjoy several sports so would be an existing subscriber to Fox/Kayo. As such adds minimal to the TV deal

As opposed to a market with 330m people, That is open to most sports particularly as NRL runs in the NFL off season.

6 nations RU final drew 550k. Attainable for RL but a very minor drop in the ocean overall in comparison to US sports

That 550k paying $100 a year for watchNRL or whatever it is called is $55m to the game.

If you get that same about to then bet on the game. Would be more than the $100 a year across the season.

If a few rich guys enjoy the game and invest locally, Their standard improves and the game internationally starts making money.

On the field though the clubs will continue to take what talent is around. So it isn't like the other areas gets ignored
remind me not to let you manage my investment portfolio lol

Canard

Immortal

How does taking two games there change the above? It's not suddenly mean half a million yanks start watching our game.

And even if it did, you just pointed to the 6 nations, who spent zero dollars and took no games there, why not copy that model?

Your Adelaide example is dogshit to, you expect an area that doesn't have a team and has no prospects of a team to be big supporters of the sport? Why? What would draw them to?

Do you think anyone would watch AFL outside of Melbourne if no expansion happened? If the Australian TV market is tapped out (as you claim) then we can't afford any more growth ever.

nko11

Juniors
Seems quite risky, especially if the $40 million per year price tag is true. Not going to totally write off the idea. You've gotta take risks to grow.
Makes me wonder what the $40 million is going into. You would think with stadium hire and player flights and accommodation etc at most it would cost ~$3 million to stage the event. I don't see where the other ~$37 million goes to. If it's going straight to marketing the event, you would have to wonder what level of marketing they'll go for. Super bowl ads are going for $7 million now. Would have to be some pretty incredible marketing all for one event.
I'm assuming they've done some forecasting on the audience they would need to continue watching the NRL to make it worth it. But there are only a couple of games a week that are in a somewhat reasonable timeslot for anywhere in the USA.
I just can't see where this recoups the investment, more than happy to be wrong though.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
AFL spends $200m on GWS and GC = good deal because they can afford it.

NRL spends $200m on possibly doubling the money = Bad deal
How much does a Super Bowl ad cost. Tina Turner remastered `Simply the Best` on at half -time at the Super Bowl. That`d be interesting. I think they had 115m viewers this year.

Iamback

Coach
How does taking two games there change the above? It's not suddenly mean half a million yanks start watching our game.

And even if it did, you just pointed to the 6 nations, who spent zero dollars and took no games there, why not copy that model?

Your Adelaide example is dogshit to, you expect an area that doesn't have a team and has no prospects of a team to be big supporters of the sport? Why? What would draw them to?

Do you think anyone would watch AFL outside of Melbourne if no expansion happened? If the Australian TV market is tapped out (as you claim) then we can't afford any more growth ever.

Exposure, Americans will be in the corporate boxes, Media exposure etc in a timezone that suits them not early hours of the morning.

That model may work here if NFL start to bring games here, London games are perfect exposure to get people to know.

Adelaide is Dogshit fullstop BUT isn't your argument that the $200m is better spent on areas like Adelaide, Perth etc?

Very few people watch AFL outside its 3 strong states

41k watched the swans on Friday night. Even less watch GWS.

QLD is a similar story.

This is despite $800m or so spent in the 2 states over the last 30 years.

As for the Australian market. Why do you think they we

Iamback

Coach
How much does a Super Bowl ad cost. Tina Turner remastered `Simply the Best` on at half -time at the Super Bowl. That`d be interesting. I think they had 115m viewers this year.

Maybe down the track but need to get TV Execs, Betting agencies people of note to atleast know the game.

Then they broadcast it, Then you can worry about increasing the viewers.

Atm the game is practically given away to be shown late night on a Soccer channel

Iamback

Coach

What is currently missing Adelaide and Perth out of the top 10 biggest markets in the country?

Having reach into NZ cancels that out

Especially if you want the likes of Amazon, Paramount etc to bid for the rights.

Having US exposure helps make the rights more attractive and opens up more than the

Fox/9
Stan/9
Paramount/10

options that exist in this country

snickers007

Juniors
I don't see where the other ~$37 million goes to. If it's going straight to marketing the event, you would have to wonder what level of marketing they'll go for. Super bowl ads are going for $7 million now. Would have to be some pretty incredible marketing all for one event.

Just making sure that you understand that marketing is more than just advertising right?

If I were to hazard a guess at where the money is being spent, the first thing I would assume is that the NRL will be wining and dining the execs from all the major television stations in the USA. Ditto for the gambling companies.

You're also gonna get a massive pre and midgame entertainment program with [insert big name pop artist here].

I'd also expect some NRL Experience pop-ups to appear in Vegas the week of the event, with skill games etc and plenty of free tickets handed out.

But I do think you're right about a potential Superbowl ad. The timing would be perfect, and that's you're chance to roll out Rusty, Jackman etc. Getting Jordan Mailata involved would be big too.

Latest posts