What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The Great Dane

First Grade

Is that all they pay 2 million pa ? That’s peanuts
Is Badel really trying to sell $20mil over 10 years as a "monster" deal, what a wanker lol. I would've laughed in Qld's face if I was the NRL.

The NRL should be asking for way more than that a season considering how much tourism money it brings into the economy. I'd never sign a deal that long either, you'd just be throwing away your ability to renegotiate if/when Magic Round's value increases.

I bet that Victoria could rustle up a better offer than that without even trying, and the other states and NZ would be sniffing around as well.

And look at all the tossers in the replies saying it should never leave QLD and just make another one. It's so easy to tell the difference between fans that actually attend games and those "fans" that don't when you see comments like that. They've got no understanding whatsoever of the value of home games to members, fans, and even corporates and sponsors.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Iamback

Coach
Are you serious? The AFL got $80mil over three years from SA for Gather Round. Obviously not all of that $80mil is cash, but they received $15mil in cash for this year's. The NRL should be asking for a similar deal.

$2mil a season over 10 seasons is an absolute joke, and Qld are clowns for even suggesting it.

The article says it currently is worth $2.1m a year. $20m over 10 years is less, So it has to be $20m a year

Especially as the article says it brings in $28m

The Great Dane

First Grade
The article says it currently is worth $2.1m a year. $20m over 10 years is less, So it has to be $20m a year

Especially as the article says it brings in $28m
A 10-year $20mil deal would be $2mil a year for 10 years.

Now maybe it’s a typo and he meant to say that it’s a $200mil offer, but if that’s the case you’d be saying as much as you obviously have access to the actual article.

It’s still a bad deal even if it is $200mil over 10 years as 10 years is way too long. All locking the deal in for that long does is stifle competition, which would be great for QLD but terrible for the NRL.

MugaB

Coach
It’s still a bad deal even if it is $200mil over 10 years as 10 years is way too long. All locking the deal in for that long does is stifle competition, which would be great for QLD but terrible for the NRL.
Just make another magic round....tehe

johns_reds

First Grade
NSW Gov only offered $160M for 20 years of Grand finals?
Why would you think QLD Gov would pay more for magic round?

If the GF is worth $8M to the NRL, then magic round would only be worth a half or quarter than that. (Note i dont believe NRL actually accepted that offer)

Also if NSW Gov paid $15M for the A-League GF over the next 3 years, the NRL should be asking for five times that amount

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
A 10-year $20mil deal would be $2mil a year for 10 years.

Now maybe it’s a typo and he meant to say that it’s a $200mil offer, but if that’s the case you’d be saying as much as you obviously have access to the actual article.

Maybe not if the money is paid up-front. HST I can`t imagine the journo would make a typo on such a significant point. $2m/annum on the other hand is ludicrously way too little.

Colk

First Grade

If the GF is worth $8M to the NRL, then magic round would only be worth a half or quarter than that. (Note i dont believe NRL actually accepted that offer)

Also if NSW Gov paid $15M for the A-League GF over the next 3 years, the NRL should be asking for five times that amount

That is just another example of our poor negotiating.

Wb1234

Referee
I took it as $20m a year
Nah I’m taking it as 2 millon pa
That is just another example of our poor negotiating.
Yep if the fumblers are getting 15 million pa we should at least be matching that

Brisbane has a bigger economy than a dump like Adelaide and the qld govt are making a killing off it

all over social media I saw people from Sydney travelling up to Suncorp

Iamback

Coach

Magic Round is certain to get tourism. GF you are only appealing to those fan bases.

How do you reckon a Sharks v Manly GF would sell in a 100k MCG?

As opposed to having every NRL club at Magic Round.

As for the figure, I believe it would include more than just that round.

GF and Magic round for that seems more likely

Exsilium

First Grade
I don't think anyone would have an issue with who hosted the GF if the travel, hotel and game day expenses were more acceptable.

I personally wouldn't care who hosted it, so long as I could enjoy the trip and not think about how much of a hole it burnt in my pocket.

For those who have to plan ahead and make sacrifices to enjoy the GF experience, it would probably be a toss up if the GF was held anywhere other than somewhere accessible.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Didn't this include an $800 million redevelopment of Allianz that they reneged on?

Latest posts