What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The feds have committed $240mill to the tassie stadium. Meanwhile pistol Pete is being lauded for getting $20mill from feds for a shthole That needs $200mill.

It’s amazing how many fluff media pieces a favourable tv deal will buy!
That’s because the AFL have had a presence in the corridors of power for a 150 years whereas V’landys has only be in charge for a half decade or so but has already sipped prune juice with the president in the Whitehouse - something the other game will never do cos it’s shit. Baby steps at this stage, PR.

Bukowski

Juniors
Roofed stadium with 23k initially (broadcasters want full stadiums), capable of being expanded in two stages to 30k then 40k. Opposition party is now supporting the stadium. The team has signed up over 100k members in Tas already, and another 100k outside Tas. The AFL media and public support is overwhelmingly positive. It will happen. And it will go over budget. Luckily for them Albo loves handing out the stadium cash and the next federal election is not far away. Now is the time to be pushing for infrastructure spending.
A lot of money for a stadium that size

Vlad59

Juniors
A lot of money for a stadium that size
Costs are now estimated to be closer to 1.4 billion and given how unpopular the stadium is down here Albo throwing more money at it will not win votes particularly where he needs them. In Northerm Tasmania. But our mate Jamberoo obviously knows better.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Costs are now estimated to be closer to 1.4 billion and given how unpopular the stadium is down here Albo throwing more money at it will not win votes particularly where he needs them. In Northerm Tasmania. But our mate Jamberoo obviously knows better.
200k people bothering to enter their credit card details and show support for the team show that Albo’s financial backing will not cost him votes. The opposition down there wisely changed their position and now support the stadium.

Who is estimating $1.4B? If true I assume that would be due to site costs? They don't have that kind of money so they will find another site where it can be built for half that.

And after the struggles of GWS and GC I disagree that the AFL does not want this team. The whole narrative has changed and it has widespread support In the industry and with fans. If the AFL was wise they would cut GWS or more them to Canberra.

Vlad59

Juniors
200k people bothering to enter their credit card details and show support for the team show that Albo’s financial backing will not cost him votes. The opposition down there wisely changed their position and now support the stadium.

Who is estimating $1.4B? If true I assume that would be due to site costs? They don't have that kind of money so they will find another site where it can be built for half that.

And after the struggles of GWS and GC I disagree that the AFL does not want this team. The whole narrative has changed and it has widespread support In the industry and with fans. If the AFL was wise they would cut GWS or more them to Canberra.
Sometimes it’s best to know what you are talking about.
The afl publicly stated 17 times they did not want a side in Tasmania up till three months before the negotiations. The state will add no value to tv deals as the tv base is already 100% there.
Any further fed funding of the centre will cost votes because this is Tasmania and all the money will go south. The alp already owns these electorates, they will lose votes in the North because, you know, this is tassie. If you don’t know about our north south divide then I cannot help you.
Cost blow outs have been predicted right from the outset to over 1 billion and are now predicted by stadium experts to 1.3 billion to 1.4 billion. The latest to say this is the ex Suns CEO , who has been involved in multiple similar projects and who In an extended interview stated the location of the stadium is a significant problem, it will cost up to 1.4 billion and will not be completed till after 2030.
Every opinion poll Down here has been anti stadium pro team.
Hey but you know better than me mate. The afl stated terms no sane person would accept deliberately to kybosh the team. Our premier ageeed to those terms. They are completely one sided. And by the way the alp support the concept of the stadium but prefer a model financed almost exclusively by the private sector put up by a former alp premier in a slightly different site.
I hope that helps.

Vlad59

Juniors

Oh and by the way 200000 people did not ‘enter their credit cards’. You an buy multiple memberships in one go. My brother bought 12 for his family. Cost him $120. I have no idea what the figure is but I’d suggest you temper your enthusiasm with some logic.

Vlad59

Juniors

And just for completion the site, which is ridiculous and will cause traffic inner city chaos for years during the build, is an afl non negotiable.
This idea of expanding the capacity to 30 to 40 thousand. How. The thing is going to have a roof on it! And given the size is already a tight squeeze how do you expand it? Upwards? We have a greenie council. Good luck.
As for 200000 members. I’d suggest this is afl Tasmania fantasy. It goes along with their claim they’ll bring state of origin to Tasmania and Taylor Swift. And I’d add it to their self serving lies where they have stated publicly the two existing stadiums have a capacity of under 13000 when both have a capacity exceeeding 18000.
I hope that helps.

Vlad59

Juniors

Nuke

Staff member
From a personal standpoint, I hope this never gets legs.
Being in WA as I am, the game would start at 4pm and be all finished by the time I finish work.

I can't read the article so I don't know DCE's motives for the idea, but I say 'nope'.

Iamback

Coach
From a personal standpoint, I hope this never gets legs.
Being in WA as I am, the game would start at 4pm and be all finished by the time I finish work.

I can't read the article so I don't know DCE's motives for the idea, but I say 'nope'.

I think the game finishes too late but you can't start it before 7pm atleast, Need to give people a chance to be home in the 2 states that play in it

Nuke

Staff member
Better for kids in eastern states and nz
Yeah, I know. I get that. Mine was purely from my viewpoint: a middle-aged man with zero kids who lives in WA and works, basically, the standard 9-5.

I wasn't attempting to be representing the average League or Origin supporter. I'm pretty far from that!