What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Colk

First Grade
I did a little research and compared the Panthers lineup from the 2021 grand final to this one. 8 players played in that first win of their streak and they are still here.

The salary cap has failed. You should not be able to be gunning for your 4th consecutive premiership without losing more players.

Rugby league competitiveness today is as one dimensional as it was when the Dragons were winning every year. The NRL must make big changes.

V'landys must do something here. Step in and show some leadership. What is worse is even if the Panthers lose...the winner will be the same team that last won it before them! This is not good enough in a modern professional salary capped sport.

It’s simple - a salary cap doesn’t work in isolation and even more so if you allow third parties to get involved

Interesting part of a recent article

“The NRL has also floated the introduction of a conference system and a draft. It also has ambitions to expand the NRLW competition and boost the profile of the Pacific Championships. There’s also the Las Vegas play – a move designed to create more value for an international streaming service.”

Again I am not a massive fan of a draft per se but it shows that the ARLC are at least aware of the issue

Iamback

Coach
It’s simple - a salary cap doesn’t work in isolation and even more so if you allow third parties to get involved

Interesting part of a recent article

“The NRL has also floated the introduction of a conference system and a draft. It also has ambitions to expand the NRLW competition and boost the profile of the Pacific Championships. There’s also the Las Vegas play – a move designed to create more value for an international streaming service.”

Again I am not a massive fan of a draft per se but it shows that the ARLC are at least aware of the issue

So you get several teams trying to lose or you have players just going to play in other competitions.

Draft won't work in RL

Iamback

Coach
I did a little research and compared the Panthers lineup from the 2021 grand final to this one. 8 players played in that first win of their streak and they are still here.

The salary cap has failed. You should not be able to be gunning for your 4th consecutive premiership without losing more players.

Rugby league competitiveness today is as one dimensional as it was when the Dragons were winning every year. The NRL must make big changes.

V'landys must do something here. Step in and show some leadership. What is worse is even if the Panthers lose...the winner will be the same team that last won it before them! This is not good enough in a modern professional salary capped sport.

So in 3 years losing 50% of your team or 75% of the 30 man squad isn't good enough?

Colk

First Grade
So you get several teams trying to lose or you have players just going to play in other competitions.

Draft won't work in RL

Read what you want to read

soc123_au

Staff member

Not bad. 3.5 Goldenrods out of 5. I've missed you <3

kurt faulk

Coach

The nfl is geared up to help the lower teams. All salaries are public knowledge. There is a draft every year. The lower teams get first dibs on any first contract players that are cut.

Guess what, there are good teams and bad teams. The good teams stay good and the bad teams stay bad. That usually correlates to good front offices compared to bad front offices. Also, the good teams have good qbs and the bad teams don't have one.

Iamback

Coach

They have wanted a National Reserve grade comp for a few years. key stake holders keep knocking it back.

Whether that fixes it or not is another discussion

siv

First Grade
The salary cap has failed. You should not be able to be gunning for your 4th consecutive premiership without losing more players
Oh they lose players, but the growth in Western Sydney keeps alive.

A return to a NYC with a Top 25 salary cap, will act as a default draft

But Sydney also needs something like a U15 carnival with U16, U18, U20 development 4 to 6 week comp and a return of a U23 layer for the Presidents Cup

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have wanted a National Reserve grade comp for a few years. key stake holders keep knocking it back.

Whether that fixes it or not is another discussion
Clubs want more money to run it and qrl is the only dissenter for obvious reasons. God forbid nrl should increase the club grant and actually put some kpis around the largesse such as running reserve grade!

Perth Red

Post Whore

a draft would require massive overhaul of jnrs and pathways. It would cost a fortune and clubs would never accept it. It’ll never happen, sports that have drafts don’t have the top tier clubs running jnr development.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
a draft would require massive overhaul of jnrs and pathways. It would cost a fortune and clubs would never accept it. It’ll never happen, sports that have drafts don’t have the top tier clubs running jnr development.
You'd love a draft. If I'm a young kid I'd pop over to the Super League before going to the Tigpies

siv

First Grade
Clubs want more money to run it and qrl is the only dissenter for obvious reasons. God forbid nrl should increase the club grant and actually put some kpis around the largesse such as running reserve grade!
Increase the NRL squad from 30+6 to 42 and you can run NRL Reserve Grade

Then run a Top 25 NYC under it with a salary cap

Johnny88

Juniors
NRL records record revenue for 2024, outstrips AFL in viewer numbers
Rugby league has dethroned the AFL as the most watched TV sport in Australia and is on track to break through the billion dollar revenue mark.

The ARL Commission is celebrating the biggest financial coup in rugby league’s 116-year history with the NRL set to post record revenue in their masterplan to become a $1 billion sport.
On the five-year anniversary of his rise to the ARLC chairmanship, Peter V’landys outlined his blueprint for the NRL to become an on and off-field juggernaut in the wake of a history-making 2024 season.
This masthead can reveal the NRL is on track to surpass $720 million in revenue this financial year, exceeding the previous record of $701m, set 12 months ago.
And rugby league has dethroned the AFL as the most watched TV sport in Australia, with the NRL attracting a total of 153.7 million viewers this year – smashing their fierce AFL rivals by 13.4 million.
“We’re thrilled with the results,” V’landys said.
“The popularity of the game has never been higher.
“In my mind, we are the No. 1 sport in Australia, but we won’t stop, we’re still growing.”

REVENUE RECORD
Just two years ago, the NRL was a $593 million empire. That was a benchmark result, but this year’s figures have propelled the NRL to another level of fiscal strength.
V’landys declined to discuss specific figures but confirmed the NRL will exceed their 2023 financial year income of $701.1 million.
With this financial year to end on October 31, League Central’s bean counters have yet to finalise the bottom line, but the NRL will go north of $701m and possibly exceed $720m in revenue.
It’s a landmark outcome for a code that was on the verge of bankruptcy just four years ago during the Covid crisis, but under the leadership of V’landys, an accountant by trade, the NRL is no longer a financial basketcase.
Over the past two years, the NRL has recorded a profit of $121 million. Pending final figures for 2024, the NRL could bank in excess of $170m in a compelling three-year fiscal renaissance.
“I can tell you the NRL has record revenues once again,” V’landys told this masthead.
“It’s the most revenue we’ve ever had and I expect we will return another profit. Exactly how much we don’t know at this stage because the financial year isn’t complete.
“We have record investment in the game and if you are successful with attendance and ratings, you will get more investment.
“The state of the game is the reason. Our success all feeds off record attendances, record ratings and things like that.
“When you are meeting your KPIs (key performance indicators), revenue flows from it.
“There’s no doubt the inclusion of the Dolphins (as the NRL’s 17th team in 2023) has played a part in that. They have been an extraordinary success. If the future expansion goes as well as the Dolphins, the game will go through the roof.
“We were able to secure a higher broadcast deal and when the game is strong, sponsors want to be part of it and we’re seeing more commercial money from new sponsors, corporates and wagering.
“It’s very pleasing ... I want to get the game into a position that makes it bulletproof.
“I believe we can get to $1 billion in time, absolutely, that’s the aim.”

BATTLE OF THE CODES
When it comes to TV ratings, the NRL leaves the AFL in the shade.
Despite playing three fewer games than the AFL (213 to 216) this season, the NRL attracted an extra 13 million eyeballs on free-to-air, pay TV, and streaming services.
The AFL attracted an extra four million fans through the turnstiles this year (8.2m to 4.1m), but the NRL enjoys a greater viewership dominance in the broadcasting space (153.7m to 140.3m).
Factor in the 2024 State of Origin series, which was watched by 10.21 million, and it gives credence to V’landys’ belief that the NRL is now Australia’s No. 1 sporting code.
Asked about claims the AFL is Australia’s No. 1 sport, V’landys said: “It’s complete rubbish.
“Rugby league was watched more than the AFL. We have the highest viewership of the two codes.
“The figures clearly show that more people watch rugby league than any other sport in this country.
“If you use that as a measure, we are already the No. 1 sport in my mind, but we also want to be the most participated.
“For the first time this year, we have gone past 200,000 registrations, so if you look at the three objectives this year, which was to promote the game, get more participation and maximise the audience, we’ve achieved it in both attendance and ratings.
“The game is in a great spot, but we have a lot of things to do, including increasing participation.
“We have the perfect sport to do it because you can play touch, tag or contact. Our next step is to get to 250,000 participants.”

David Clark
NRL MONOPOLY
After decades of wasted billions, the ARL Commission is shrewdly amassing a real-estate portfolio across NSW and Queensland.
The ARLC started in 2022 with the purchase of Gambaros, recently renamed the Beetson Hotel in honour of league legend Arthur Beetson, situated just 400 metres from Suncorp Stadium.
They have since added Sydney’s Quest Hotel in Woolooware, near the Cronulla Sharks home ground, and the 81-room Mercure at Kawana Waters on the Sunshine Coast, which could be used as accommodation for the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
But V’landys is hungry for more.
“We will continue to buy assets,” he said.
“We have an agreement with the clubs and the players to have at least $300 million in assets and we’re getting there.
“We’re being careful. We are buying assets that are cost-effective and good buys with high returns.
“We’re not rushing into it because we want to make sure we buy the right assets and ones that will give us high rates of return.
“When Covid happened, we were in trouble because when we ran out of money, we couldn’t borrow anything because we had no assets to use as security.
“With cash, we currently have about $200 million in assets, but we want to keep building on that.
“Everyone agrees in the game that we need that asset base, because if there is another crisis at some point in time, which may happen, we will be financially ready for it.”

BROADCAST BONANZA
In the coming months, V’landys and NRL boss Andrew Abdo will kick off talks on the code’s next TV rights contract for 2028 and beyond.
It’s a crucial, and potentially code-shaping, deal. The AFL’s seven-year deal from 2025-31 was worth $4.5 billion and the NRL will go to the negotiating table entitled to be confident after setting a number of records during their current broadcasting agreement.
The addition of an 18th team by 2027 would give the NRL an extra game per round to sell to existing broadcast partners – Nine Entertainment and Foxtel – and other potential bidders.
If the NRL expands to 20 teams, as expected, by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics, that’s another potential trump card for the NRL, which is eyeing growth to the Pacific with a 19th team in Papua New Guinea in 2028.
“To start the broadcast negotiations, we need to know the format of the competition for the next five years,” V’landys said.
“Once we decide that, we will immediately move into broadcast discussions.
“I expect there to be enormous interest for our next broadcast deal. Who wouldn’t want to be bidding for the NRL right at the moment with the numbers we are putting up.”

VIVA LAS VEGAS
The NRL’s bold incursion into America this season was the launch pad to record revenues.
The historic premiership kick-off in Las Vegas was a TV ratings smash hit with 2.4 million viewers watching the Broncos-Roosters and Manly-Souths double header at Allegiant Stadium.
The Manly-Souths clash was the most viewed NRL game in Australian pay TV history with 838,000 fans tuning into Fox League and Kayo.
More than 40,000 fans attended Allegiant from 24 countries.
The NRL’s five-year deal to play premiership games on US soil until 2028 has raised eyebrows and is not without its logistical hurdles, but V’landys has faith in the concept.
“The first round in Vegas was the highest watched round in the history of rugby league,” he said.
“We have opened the doors for revenue growth in America.
“They are probably going to be a bit slower than I first thought, but it will happen.”
V’landys hit back at suggestions the Vegas experiment was a financial disaster for the NRL.
“Vegas was a lot less expensive than everyone thought it was,” he said.
“It’s not just the expenditure, it’s the tangible return.
“We wouldn’t have got record ratings on the first round if we didn’t go to Vegas.
“We have opened the doors for new revenue growth with various new revenue streams that will come through in America.
“Vegas was nothing short of an extraordinary success.
“It had everyone talking in Australia about rugby league from round one. A lot of people told me it was one of the greatest sporting promotions they have seen.
“Vegas played a huge part in our success this season ... and we’re determined to get bigger and better.”

Latest posts