What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petero to Penrith

pantherz9103

First Grade
Jun 28 - Petero Civoniceva will be a Panther next year.The giant Brisbane prop has agreed to terms with Penrith, General Manager Rugby League, Michael Leary, said today.
"This is great news for the club," Leary said. "Petero is not only a tremendous player, he's a leader - someone for our younger forwards to look up to and follow."
The deal is for two years with an option of a third.
"I'm really excited about coming to Penrith - it's a new challenge," Petero said. "From what I hear the club has plenty of young talent coming through."
Civoniceva, 31, was born in Fiji and played for Redcliffe rugby union club as a junior before joining the Broncos. He has an enviable representative record for Australia and Queensland.

Source: www.panthers.com.au

Chachi

Bench
pantherz9103 said:
"I'm really excited about coming to Penrith - it's a new challenge," Petero said. "From what I hear the club has plenty of young talent coming through."
...to Brisbane

JW

Coach
Thank God that's over.

Glad he's going to Penrith of all clubs. Could've been much worse...

The Colonel

Immortal
Petero the Panther
By Staff Writers
June 28, 2007 BRISBANE prop Petero Civoniceva has agreed to terms with Penrith, Panthers general manager for rugby league, Michael Leary, confirmed today.

"This is great news for the club," Leary said.

"Petero is not only a tremendous player, he's a leader - someone for our younger forwards to look up to and follow."

The deal is for two years with an option of a third.

"I'm really excited about coming to Penrith - it's a new challenge," Civoniceva said.

"From what I hear the club has plenty of young talent coming through."

Civoniceva, 31, was born in Fiji and played for Redcliffe rugby union club as a junior before joining the Broncos. He has an enviable representative record for Australia and Queensland.

Agence France-Presse

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21982430-23214,00.html

Prodigiousman

Juniors
He's got his payday and you can't blame him for wanting to secure his future.

Admittedly Penrith have made up a lot of ground with this signing although they really need Firman to recapture his speed and playmaking edge for 2008. If he does and I believe he can - Civoniceva, Woolnough and Firman is pretty close to Gower, Clinton and Wallace.

I would've liked to have seen Petero go to a club that really needed a forward leader to lead their pack forward (although that is the case in Penrith admittedly) - but if he'd gone to the Wests Tigers or Raiders both those sides would've reaped the benefits deluxe.

Risky_6

Juniors
Not only would the offer have been bigger than the Roosters, i think the captaincy has come with this one to.

A great signing for Penrith, you cant get much better than that.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I still cant believe the signing! Best signing Penriths had since ive been going for them (1994).

With Woolnough playing great recently for the Knights, F.Puletua are most consistent forward for the past two years and a future Kangaroo in Grant, we have a good front row rotation for next year.

If T.Puletua and Priddis are also shown the door, Petero may well be captain.

t-ba

Post Whore
This has the potential to be a Ben Kennedy like Masterstroke. Congratulations Penrith.

yobbo84

Coach
Great signing. Just what the young talented forwards at the club need.

On a side note, I wonder when the "we didn't miss out on him, we pulled out of the running" press release will come out from the Roosters?! :D

Mr Saab

Referee
JW said:
Thank God that's over.

Glad he's going to Penrith of all clubs. Could've been much worse...

Agreed.
Now he can concentrate on giving a consistent remaining 10-14 games.
Of all places tho...Penrith.

You could never call Petero a bad signing but I am not sure that he's the type of player panthers are after with the departure of Gower and Wallace next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Agreed.
Now he can concentrate on giving a consistent remaining 10-14 games.
Of all places tho...Penrith.
It's funny that Clinton leaves us to go to Broncos and play alongside Petero... who leaves the Broncos to come and play for us. Gower leaving is what made us desperate for a big signing though. He will do the role that Tony Puletua has meant to be doing, and lead our forwards.

Gower leaving really was best for Panthers.

Mr Saab

Referee
Panthers will be kind of like souths were with Joey Williams.
Great pack, but the souths halves for sometime couldnt score at Peter Wynns

Mr Saab

Referee
pantherz9103 said:
lol at Broncos. Sign Clinton and then we sign Petero. I know who'd I rather have.

Short term, i would take Petero 8 days a week, long term i would take Joel and for less moolah

He's past it and good on penrith for signing another veteran to go with their other over the hill veterans - he will be most happy when the temp drops below 0 too:sarcasm: