What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petero to Penrith

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Roosters offer withdrawn to Civoneciva

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, 28th June, 2007

Many will have read over the last couple of weeks that the Sydney Roosters were interested in acquiring the services of Petero Civoneciva for seasons 2008-10.

Unfortunately it has been suggested by some media outlets that Civoneciva has chosen the Penrith Panthers over the Roosters. This is definately not the case as the club had ceased negotiations.

We at the Roosters would like to reiterate that Petero Civoneciva has not chosen the Penrith Panthers over the Sydney Roosters, and we feel that with the staggering inferiority complex that envelopes most of our fans we needed to clarify this issue.

There will be more announcements in regards to retention and recruitment soon.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
sucked in roosters, the first big name player that they have not signed in a while, they would have been a scary team if petro did go to the roosters with o'meley and petro in the front row

kooriguy

Juniors
this is huge.. we will be a pack to be reckoned with once more, best news since i learnt preston signed with us for 03 and we all know how that turned out, he was already one of my all time fav props that i rated.

S.S.T.I.D said:
Roosters offer withdrawn to Civoneciva

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, 28th June, 2007

Many will have read over the last couple of weeks that the Sydney Roosters were interested in acquiring the services of Petero Civoneciva for seasons 2008-10.

Unfortunately it has been suggested by some media outlets that Civoneciva has chosen the Penrith Panthers over the Roosters. This is definately not the case as the club had ceased negotiations.

We at the Roosters would like to reiterate that Petero Civoneciva has not chosen the Penrith Panthers over the Sydney Roosters, and we feel that with the staggering inferiority complex that envelopes most of our fans we needed to clarify this issue.

There will be more announcements in regards to retention and recruitment soon.

lol, it doesn't stop with you wankers does it? geez, you guys need to get over us

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
lol, it doesn't stop with you wankers does it? geez, you guys need to get over us

Au contraire, the way you lot carried on when we signed Wing and the amount of Sydney supporters that constantly infiltrate our forum's it is indeed your supporters that need to get over us.

Mine was just a thinly veiled swipe based on a certain hysterical media release that your club released around this time last year.

(I copied that almost word for word from the original so it was not my headline, Canavan did actually write that, it doesn't make sense)

salivor

First Grade
I wish Petero all the best, I think our club made the right move in parting ways due to the asking price but I don't begrudge Petero for wanting one last big contract. He's given enough to our club and then some where he doesn't owe us anything.

I was hoping that he would go to the ESL as it's going to be hard to see Petero in an NRL team other than the Broncos but at least it's with a team that isn't going to come back to bite us on the arse.

Chachi

Bench
herbert henry1908 said:
its not exactly a long term deal though , 2 years ( which is what gower was going to take up anyway) with an option for a third, presumably in his favour.

we definatley have some issues in the halves but i dont think hooker will be a problem , we have priddis , Aiton and peters to cover there.
If Priddis goes, do you think Aiton is a good long term prospect herbert? From the little I've seen of him he seems like a goer, but not 100% sure of his decision making ability.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Chachi said:
If Priddis goes, do you think Aiton is a good long term prospect herbert? From the little I've seen of him he seems like a goer, but not 100% sure of his decision making ability.

Theres been strong rumours floating around for weeks and weeks the Aiton will go to the Dogs'. I think Penrith may go for:

9.Keith Peters
17.Masada Iosefa

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
what i dont understand is how brisbane didn't have the funds for petro, they let berrigan and tate go are going to release carlaw and brad thorn is retiring. makes you think how much lockyer is on?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I'm gutted petero is leaving. I am glad he's going to a struggling club and wil be able to help younger players develop and provide leadership for them.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
signed Clinton, Sims and Wallace...as well as upgrading...does that answer ur quesiton?
it does answer the question but, that is poor manangement by brisbane, sims is the only good player there, clinton is good without being great, he gets the job done and thats about it, wont win you a game, wallace well i could be half back at brisbane and look good, so i dont know why they spent big bucks on wallace for, waste of money.

D

Deleted member 10972

hindmarsh4pm said:
sucked in roosters, the first big name player that they have not signed in a while, they would have been a scary team if petro did go to the roosters with o'meley and petro in the front row

Umm, Roosters didn't get Ashton Sims, Justin Poore, Roy Asotasi, Reni Maitua, Willie Tonga, Daryl Millard, James Stosic or Fraser Anderson last year, all were being chased, yet we missed out.

Sims & Maitua were looked at as possible replacements for Morley (we ended up with Myles), Poore, Asotasi & Stosic were looked at as possible replacements for Cayless & Fa'aoso (one year overdue, 2006 we had to make do with Manua & Hall, we ended up with Nutley & Beattie). Millard, Anderson & Tonga were looked at as possible replacements for Cross (we ended up using Perrett, our winger from 2006, as a centre, with okay results). The biggest problem was we had to many areas to cover, & tried to split our costs over all rather than focus on one.

The clean-out this year was to re-sign alot of the youth coming through. Guys like Nuuausala, M Aubusson, Sa, Pearce, SKD, Soliola, & D Williams have been kept at the expense of guys like Tonga, Flannery, Lewis, Soward, Mellars, Monaghan (unless Soli moves into the pack) & Plum respectively. O'Meley & James Aubusson will replace Chris Beattie/Willie Brown & Craig Wing/Heath L'Estrange respectively too (their back-ups were released as we have Ndaira & Waqa coming through).

I doubt much more big name signings are on the horizon for the Roosters. Guys like Roberts, Harrison, Shackleton, etc will be cleared out to make way for the blokes coming through from the Flegg & PL teams.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
marshall stalin said:
i heard included in his contract is a life time supply of ugg boots /flannelette shirts/stubby jeans/kmart running shoes/cases of tooheys/packets of winnie reds. He will have to learn how to spell the penrith way too i.e penriff panfers

so you rip off penrith when you claim your russian? :lol:

Charlie124

First Grade
Great signing for the panthers, was hoping petero might want to stay in QLD and head north to us but its still good to see him stay in the NRL rather than waste his time in the ESL

JW

Coach
hindmarsh4pm said:
it does answer the question but, that is poor manangement by brisbane, sims is the only good player there, clinton is good without being great, he gets the job done and thats about it, wont win you a game, wallace well i could be half back at brisbane and look good, so i dont know why they spent big bucks on wallace for, waste of money.

Big Mick hit the money.

Contract upgrades were the killer, but necessary. The other purchases were also necessary.

If Petero stuck around and ate up the cap, contract upgrades over the next few seasons would be virtually impossible and instead of losing a 31 yr old prop, we could risk losing a host of other key players leaving us well and truly in the sh*t.

And by the time Petero retired, we'd still have no halfback, and a possible lack of depth in the front row.

It's not the first time these sort of losses have occured at the Broncos and it's not bad management. It's just the way the cookie crumbles in this day and age.

Again, i'm glad he's at Penrith of all places.

choc_soldier

Coach
Can't get any better than Petero - he'll be great for our young forwards coming through, and may lift a few of our more established players (*cough* Tony Puletua) to play more to their potential.

I'm ecstatic!

choc_soldier

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
It's a bit like when Kimmorley went to the Beagles and Matt Orford went to the Storm

To Brisbane: Joel Clinton & Peter Wallace
To Penrith: Petero

It's a good trade - I think we got the good end of the bargain though.