What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petero to Penrith

Parra Guru

Coach
The Mack said:
Umm, Roosters didn't get Ashton Sims, Justin Poore, Roy Asotasi, Reni Maitua, Willie Tonga, Daryl Millard, James Stosic or Fraser Anderson last year, all were being chased, yet we missed out.

poor diddums :lol:

D

Deleted member 10972

Parra Guru said:
poor diddums :lol:

You missed the point. It is saying that the Roosters do NOT always get who they are chasing, just like every other club. All the times we signed or re-signed players, it is at the expense of others.

choc_soldier said:
Can't get any better than Petero - he'll be great for our young forwards coming through, and may lift a few of our more established players (*cough* Tony Puletua) to play more to their potential.

I'm ecstatic!

Could not agree more...Puletua might pull his finger out with a quality player next to him.

;-)

Parra Guru

Coach
The Mack said:
You missed the point. It is saying that the Roosters do NOT always get who they are chasing, just like every other club. All the times we signed or re-signed players, it is at the expense of others.

not ALWAYS, but most of the time your club does. The Asotasi press release thing was funny though, u have to admit.

Pigskin

Juniors
glad all you panther fans are happy

don't think it has been mentioned in this thread, but in Petero you have signed one the few real nice guys in the NRL ... better than signing some overpriced git with attitude

heard an interview on radio with Bruno Cullen this evening and he quoted directly from an email from Petero's management ... essentially absolving the Bronc's from notifying Petero via email of his fate

he sounded most sincere about his regret at Petero leaving the club ... i dunno

anybody know what Petero will do after football ? ... the Broncos deal included a job upon retirement ... presumably some kind of development officer or something

I'm wondering how much a "job" after football is worth ... a considerable amount I would have thought

anyway, well done on the signing

it has been a PR disaster for the Broncs imo

Oink !

The Tank

Bench
Phillips said:
not even petero will save the panthers from the spoon next season..

great signing though

You're probably right... I'm just praying we don't get it this year but I think we will. :(

badav

Bench
hindmarsh4pm said:
what i dont understand is how brisbane didn't have the funds for petro, they let berrigan and tate go are going to release carlaw and brad thorn is retiring. makes you think how much lockyer is on?

Its already been mentioned who they signed, but Karmichael hunt, darius boyd, joel moon, steve michaels, greg eastwood and sam thaiday all got big pay rises. Eastwood would have been on pittance when he last signed and now hes an international. The same story with Thaiday, who has played for Australia since his last contract.
Hunt wasnt off contract but got an upgrade in line with his standing in the game now (aus, qld fullback). He would be on top 5 money i would say.

The Tank

Bench
Plus Hodges hasn't re-signed yet has he? They'd be putting aside some cap space for him. The Broncos have done well when you consider than Civ is the only big loss - plus they've picked up Clinton, Wallace, and Sims.

badav

Bench
The Tank said:
Plus Hodges hasn't re-signed yet has he? They'd be putting aside some cap space for him. The Broncos have done well when you consider than Civ is the only big loss - plus they've picked up Clinton, Wallace, and Sims.

Pretty sure that hodges has resigned now. The figure being bandied around was 3 years @ 300k p/a
That would also be a massive payrise over what he signed when he left the roosters.
I do agree though the club had alot of young blokes off contract this seasons, and while Petero is a massive loss its part and parcel of footy these days

TITAN1

Juniors
Back on topic for a sec- Congrats to Penriff for making the same mistake and putting the majority of their cap on one player AND for the misinformation given by the official site in regards to Petero-great P.R work!:roll: :
Rob Weaver</DIV>Rob Weaver
Misc_PostDate.gif
Posted 21/06/2007 9:18:49 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:32:43 PM
Posts: 805, Visits: 6,061True, but I am close enough to the centre of things to have a pretty good idea what is and what is not likely - and my mail is that it isn't an option.

</DIV>Rob WeaverRob Weaver</DIV>Rob Weaver
Misc_PostDate.gif
Posted 21/06/2007 9:01:11 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:32:43 PM
Posts: 805, Visits: 6,061Yeah, let's get rid of three of four promising juniors and instead pay the money to one bloke - great though he may be - whose career could be ended in his first match.

mxlegend99

Referee
Majority of their cap? It's less then $400k, and we were well under our cap. This is only a 2 year deal. It will not cripple us as the contracts we signed at the end of the 2003/2004 seasons did.

Also... until Gower left, the odds at us getting Petero were very slim. We didn't want to waste all our spare cash on one player. Gower leaving meant that we could splurge on a front rower. We're more under the salary cap then we were a week ago.

TITAN1

Juniors
This is the official voice of the club,ridiculing the idea of spending so much on one player instead of local juniors-and they say theres no division at penriff!

The Tank

Bench
TITAN1 said:
This is the official voice of the club,ridiculing the idea of spending so much on one player instead of local juniors-and they say theres no division at penriff!

:roll:

He is a media manager - not a coach or a CEO. He has no bearing whatsoever on any decisions that are made with regards to the squad. Hardly "division" at Penrith.

At the time that Rob "ridiculed" such a move we still had Gower and not very much cash to spend - he wouldn't be the only one who'd think it would be wiser to re-sign a few young blokes instead of Civ.

As we have it, we've signed Civ AND can now re-sign some young fellas such as Aiton.

jimmyo

Juniors
Top signing Penriff, about time you fricken signed somebody - he's good enough to attract a decent halfback or 5/8 as they now know they will have some space to play in.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
JW said:
Big Mick hit the money.

Contract upgrades were the killer, but necessary. The other purchases were also necessary.

If Petero stuck around and ate up the cap, contract upgrades over the next few seasons would be virtually impossible and instead of losing a 31 yr old prop, we could risk losing a host of other key players leaving us well and truly in the sh*t.

And by the time Petero retired, we'd still have no halfback, and a possible lack of depth in the front row.

It's not the first time these sort of losses have occured at the Broncos and it's not bad management. It's just the way the cookie crumbles in this day and age.

Again, i'm glad he's at Penrith of all places.
gota love that salary cap ey :crazy:

kooriguy

Juniors
kia ora storm said:
Could not agree more...Puletua might pull his finger out with a quality player next to him.

;-)

also without the pressure to lead the pack.. might do him a world of good and let him play his own game.

Latest posts