What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHaC and Crowe want to "Blow up the Pokies"

Blind Freddy

Juniors
SOUTH Sydney Leagues Club is set to dump its 160 poker machines in a historic move expected to cost millions of dollars in lost gaming revenue.
Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe has requested the new Souths Leagues Club at Redfern re-open in 2008 without pokies, breaking the tradition of rugby league clubs being underwritten by gaming cash.

Crowe's business partner Peter Holmes a Court last night said the refitted club, part of a $35 million redevelopment, would be made viable with income generated from quality food and entertainment, conferences and commercial rents.

"The conventional wisdom is that if you don't have poker machines a club will go broke, but I believe that there are plenty of people who don't come because of the pokies," Mr Holmes a Court told The Daily Telegraph.

"I believe it's about finding a whole new audience."

He said the move would be good "corporate responsibility" as more than half the club's gaming income in the past would have come from people who received social security benefits.

Taking the profits from poker machines also was at odds with the club's other social programs, including the Souths Cares scheme involving assistance to indigenous communities.

"We don't believe it's an appropriate part of the new business," Mr Holmes a Court said. The final decision will be made by the Leagues Club board.

Mr Holmes a Court yesterday held talks with chairman Bill Alexiou-Hucker and senior director Jim Hatfield.

After emerging from the meeting, Mr Alexiou-Hucker said the "radical" proposal would not be formally considered until his board was given a business plan.

"The bottom line is that we are answerable to the members and we have to make sure their interests and money are taken care of," he said.

"With something this radical, you have to say, 'Show us the money'."
Crowe first approached Mr Holmes a Court with the idea a month ago.

"Russell asked me to see if I could make this happen financially," the millionaire businessman said.

Based on average annual profits for club poker machines in inner Sydney, the decision would mean the club would lose as much as $7 million a year in gaming profits.

But Mr Holmes a Court said there were other less socially-devastating income streams available to the club.

"I accept a wager from time to time and gaming is a reasonable pastime. I don't believe everyone who enjoys gaming is evil. But, there is a time and a place for gaming and I don't believe that South Sydney is the time or the place."

Mr Holmes a Court noted that in Western Australia, where he grew up, no club had access to poker machine revenue yet they remained in business.

Clubs, restaurants and other licensed premises in many other parts of the world were also viable without gambling, he said.
The decision yesterday was given strong support by anti-pokies campaigner Reverend Tim Costello.

He declared Mr Holmes a Court was a "pioneer" in the area of corporate responsibility "and it takes courage to be a pioneer". "I think its magnificent," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22441992-5001021,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again these 2 (PHac and Crowe) are showing the other clubs how it could be done, by actually getting creative and not relying on the over taxed poker machines to create revenue streams like most clubs need.
While i think they shouldn't be canned completely as a source of income for clubs, the idea that pokies are the main source of income to soley survive on should be definitly out the window. Proactive agressive marketing and advertising and memberships by clubs coupled with poker machine revenue is the go.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Absolutely brillant. HaC and Crowe once again leading the way. If they succeed in pulling it off I'm sure other clubs will follow suit.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
What balls, good on em.

My respect for South Sydney has gone up astronomically for this. My new second favourite team.

The less poker machines the better obviously.

But it remains to be seen whether this happens.

The line in the article "The final decision will be made by the Leagues Club board" makes me a bit sceptical.

I hope I eat my words.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Desert Qlder said:
My respect for South Sydney has gone up astronomically for this. My new second favourite team.

Ecactly what I thought. I never liked Souths until PHaC and Crowe took over, but they're breat hof fresh air compared to other clubs.

drake

First Grade
Again PHaC and Rusty break new ground and do something great.

Much applause, hope it works out.

bobmar28

Bench
That's right, turn South Sydney Leagues club into a venue for well off inner city yuppies because that is who will be able to afford to eat there.
Where is the money going to come from? Phac and Rusty? I doubt it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
bobmar28 said:
That's right, turn South Sydney Leagues club into a venue for well off inner city yuppies because that is who will be able to afford to eat there.

As opposed to a venue for people on welfare to blow their $$ on pokies? Sounds good to me.

_Johnsy

Referee
bobmar28 said:

I think I heard this morning approx 35-40% of all money gambled at the leagues club came from welfare payments. & all you are worried about it yuppies going to the leagues club, knowing yuppies do you really think that they will go to a leagues club ?

I am sure they are looking at attracting a different demographic, trust a myhtbury fan to find a neagative out of a brilliant idea. I think even the roosters fans would applaud this move. Considering it affects your club in no way shape or form, what is your motive other tahn to bring a good idea down? Helps the club, and some of its patrons.

Congrats PHaC & Rusty. :clap: :clap:

RainMan

Juniors
So the Club is going to thumb its nose at roughly $7 million a year pokie profit? They won't make that up in food and beverage.

shiznit

Coach
yeah i like the idea... if it comes off it will work well on two fronts... its good for the communtiy to have less pokies around and it means that the club wont be affected if state or federal govt decide to add more taxes to the pokies.

Glenn

First Grade
Those welfare payments will just go elsewhere, be it alcohol, smoking etc or even spent at South Sydney Leagues in the Bar/Bistro.
Are you going to stop that PHaC?

m0j0

Bench
_Johnsy said:
I think I heard this morning approx 35-40% of all money gambled at the leagues club came from welfare payments. & all you are worried about it yuppies going to the leagues club, knowing yuppies do you really think that they will go to a leagues club ?

I am sure they are looking at attracting a different demographic, trust a myhtbury fan to find a neagative out of a brilliant idea. I think even the roosters fans would applaud this move. Considering it affects your club in no way shape or form, what is your motive other tahn to bring a good idea down? Helps the club, and some of its patrons.

Congrats PHaC & Rusty. :clap: :clap:

Here's one Roosters fan applauding the move (as much as it kills me to say so).

Woods99

Juniors
If this move works out, I will apply for membership of both the leagues club and the football club, and will retain both whilever poker machines are banned.

smeghead

Bench
I can see several problems as well as numerous positives IF (and that is a big if) the plan gets passed at board level.

It is a fine idea and will cut out any calls of hypocrisy against SSFC and their Leagues Club when the Souths Cares programme turns into full swing.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Crowe, PHAC, or some of the big headed Souths bandwagon fans on here, to start preaching how every other club should be following their lead etc, etc. (It wouldn't be a bad long term move however)

_Johnsy

Referee
smeghead said:
I can see several problems as well as numerous positives IF (and that is a big if) the plan gets passed at board level.

It is a fine idea and will cut out any calls of hypocrisy against SSFC and their Leagues Club when the Souths Cares programme turns into full swing.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Crowe, PHAC, or some of the big headed Souths bandwagon fans on here, to start preaching how every other club should be following their lead etc, etc. (It wouldn't be a bad long term move however)

Smeg

If it is successfull, I dont see why it should not become a blueprint for other clubs. If clubs can become finiancially viable without pokie $$ it can only be a good thing.

smeghead

Bench
Johnsy I can see where it could be successful and hope it is.

The only problem is that the non gambling revenue streams that immediatley come to mind would be that such revenue streams are smaller at this stage (examples such as stage shows etc) and if every RLFC in the inner city region ran one it does divide potential profit share etc.

It is a very complex thing to do and I really hope it works out.

For example I hope when Balmain Leagues Clubs development application goes through that it will allow the removal of the Pokies from there to as they should make a tidy profit from apartment rentals/sales or comissions therin as well as commercial outlets etc.

It is a very interesting proposal by SSFC and I will be keenly waiting for it's result