What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould's comments on racism and code-hopping

Dazzat

First Grade
Couldn't quite believe my ears on the Footy Show/Sunday Roast today.

In the one morning Gould expressed sympathy for poor old Andrew Johns for making racist comments that have offended many Indigenous people.

In the next breath he starts ranting on about showing Falou and code-hoppers the door immediately they sign with another code.

With each week Gould is going further off the gauge on the Moron-metre.

The day you announce that code-hopping is the unforgivable sin, but racism deserves sympathy is the day you lose all credibility!

Lambretta

First Grade
Phil Gould said what Andrew Johns said was indefensible

Is that what you are referring to as his comments on racism?

Angry_eel

First Grade

He also defended Johns by saying He's not a racist which is more or less the same as saying "Its not his go".

kmav23

Juniors

In the one morning Gould expressed sympathy for poor old Andrew Johns for making racist comments that have offended many Indigenous people.

In the next breath he starts ranting on about showing Falou and code-hoppers the door immediately they sign with another code.

The day you announce that code-hopping is the unforgivable sin, but racism deserves sympathy is the day you lose all credibility!

Andrew Johns was about to switch to rugby and held NRL to ransom until they gave him more money....

so johns is

1) drug take

2) Potential Code switcher until he got his ransom

3) racist

Dazzat

First Grade

Gould is the master of contradiction. If it was 'indefensible' why was he defending Johns and casting dispersions against Tahu. Through his tone and choice of words it was obvious that Gould supported Johns, but did not agree with Tahu's working out of the NSW team.

Dazzat

First Grade
Andrew Johns was about to switch to rugby and held NRL to ransom until they gave him more money....

so johns is

1) drug take

2) Potential Code switcher until he got his ransom

3) racist

That about sums it up.

Lambretta

First Grade
Gould is the master of contradiction. If it was 'indefensible' why was he defending Johns and casting dispersions against Tahu. Through his tone and choice of words it was obvious that Gould supported Johns, but did not agree with Tahu's working out of the NSW team.

Comments made by a person can be indefensible and you can still believe that the person can be defended in other ways.

From what I saw Gould thinks that what Johns said was wrong, but that another solution could have been found to deal with the situation.

For the record on this issue I think Gould is wrong and I fully support Tahu's stance. But I also think that Phil Gould is one of the leading thinkers in Rugby League and he is right far more often than he is wrong in my eyes.

dragon_around

Juniors
Phil Gould rants and rages about the "NRL Administration", about the Refs, about the Daily Telegraph (one positive I guess), about the "superior AFL admin", and offers nothing other than negativity.

He will bring down the games value when it comes time to sign with the networks. Guaranteed.

Dazzat

First Grade
Phil Gould rants and rages about the "NRL Administration", about the Refs, about the Daily Telegraph (one positive I guess), about the "superior AFL admin", and offers nothing other than negativity.

He will bring down the games value when it comes time to sign with the networks. Guaranteed.

I agree with this ... he does nothing for the game, and in fact consistently devalues rugby league by bad mouthing administration, referees, the rules and just about everything else.

Today he ranted and raved about the Falou/Hunt thing, but did not offer one solution.

He's seen everything coming that's ever gone wrong ... trouble is ... he only talks about after the troubles hit. Twit!

CMUX

I Absolutely agree with his sentiments regarding the bolded part. The NRL should grow a set of balls, pay off the code-hoppers and let them sit around doing nothing until they play whatever sport they sign to. After all, they are a walking advertisement for an opposition code.

Dazzat

First Grade
I Absolutely agree with his sentiments regarding the bolded part. The NRL should grow a set of balls, pay off the code-hoppers and let them sit around doing nothing until they play whatever sport they sign to. After all, they are a walking advertisement for an opposition code.

Frankly, I find this thinking totally mis-informed.

I've stated on other posts the marketing messages being sent out by this whole sorry saga, and I don't believe AFL is gaining or will gain anything at all from Hunt and Falou's defection.

Rugby union is a perfect example. Several years ago rugby union pillaged rugby league ranks ... Sailor, Rogers, Tuquiri, Tahu, Gasnier ... everyone was screaming blue murder ... the sky was falling!!!

Where as it got them ... BIG FAT ZERO. If anything union is struggling more now than when the pillaging started. And I expect the same result for AFL.

kmav23

Juniors

Andrew John held the NRL to ransom for more money or he will got to rugby just before he retired !!!!

NRL took back Wendal Sailor after rugby kicked him out for taking cocaine.

If code swapping is so bad why did League sign all the union players before?

Why does NRL let all the defectors back ? sailor rogers tuquiri tahu ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Springs

First Grade
Yeah let's just take things out of context to suit our argument against Gus. Did anyone actually read Gus's column? He clearly defines racism in it and what Andrew Johns did does not fall under racism in any terms. A racist is one who believes their race is superior to others, or one that hates a particular race. Johns isn't a racist, he made a ridiculous, foolish remark.

And someone said that Gould complained about the Folau situation but didn't offer a solution, although in Dazzat's first post he says Gould said that code-switchers should be kicked out as soon as they sign with another code. Is that not a solution???

Latest posts