What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Piggy to be a Tiger??

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
MARK "Piggy" Riddell - one of the great characters in modern-day rugby league - is poised to make a dramatic return to the NRL next season with Wests Tigers.

The one-year deal will be announced this week, with the Tigers planning to use Riddell as a shadow player for classy No. 9 Robbie Farah.

Riddell signed a three-year deal with English giants Wigan in 2009 but has cut short his English deal to return home to be near his mother, who is fighting cancer. It is likely Riddell will be able to celebrate his new deal with Wests Tigers tomorrow, his 29th birthday.

The Tigers see Riddell as a solid and experienced back-up for Farah. But he can also play back-row and kick goals.

"It's likely to happen. We are maybe a day or two away from finalising it," Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said yesterday.

Have Your Say
Is Mark Riddell a great buy for the Tigers?
Yes I agree
No I disagree
Vote now
Related Coverage
Former Bulldog Phelps departs Wigan The Daily Telegraph, 23 Nov 2010
Riddell v Diggers Rest Herald Sun, 20 Sep 2010
Riddell v Lancefield Herald Sun, 30 Aug 2010
Robbie Farah's restaurant opening The Daily Telegraph, 24 Aug 2010
Riddell v Sunbury Herald Sun, 8 Aug 2010

"We have had discussions with Mark and they went very well. It is certainly something we are thinking about.

"We are considering him as a back-up to Robbie Farah."

Asked how Riddell would be squeezed into the Tigers' salary cap, Humphreys said: "If he were to come here, it would be on a second-tier contract. He wouldn't be in our top 25. That is the context with which we are considering him."

Riddell ended his two-year stint at Wigan with a win over St Helens in this year's Super League grand final.

He has previously played with St George Illawarra and Parramatta after starting out with the Sydney Roosters.

After the Super League triumph, Riddell said: "This is No. 1 for me. I have been chasing one of these titles for 11 or 12 years in professional rugby league.

"To finally get one at the end is something special."

Wigan coach Michael Maguire was upset to lose Riddell.

"We knew about Mark's situation in June and we will be sad to lose him but fully understand the reasons behind his decision," Maguire said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wests-tigers/comments-e6frexnr-1225967156128

Perth Tiger

Bench
Interesting signing. I can't see how he would add much to the team apart from back up and maybe goal kicking. But seeing as he would be outside our main squad I think he could be a good signing.

Does this count as our international signing :)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
tiger pig, tiger pig..
does whatever a tiger pig does..

can he swing from a web?
no he can't, he's a pig..

lookout, here comes the tiger pig!

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I suppose there remains the big question mark over the recovery from injury & continuation of Cayless in the squad. Galloway gets himself injured somewhat frequently too. Riddell would provide good back up for hooker if Farah gets rep duty / injured. Farah's back and hip are a bit dodgy if memory serves me correctly. He could also possibly do emergency front row / second row if needed I suppose.

Certainly wouldnt be in the first 13 picked, maybe on the 4 interchange positions (depending on who we are playing) but definitely a pretty good back up player.

Spank

Juniors
2nd Tier contract, just a depth signing wouldnt expect him in the 17 very often

Nice backup for Faffy though !

aussies1st

Staff member
Looks a good signing, can also help out with the goal kicking if Benji falls apart.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I think he will make an ideal number 14.

Hooker and Backrow

You can also move Farah to the 1/2's if need be and Riddell slots straight in.

He will play a Dene Halatau kind of role I reckon.
Agreed.

Fitness obviously a question mark, but he will provide some straight hard running if he gets a go. Certainly as good an option for the utility jersey I can see.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
he'll be playing for the Magpies more than anything by the sounds of it.

Given our lack of a fit and consistent fullback, and a number 7 who Sheens likes and isn't in the midst of legal preceedings over an alleged wife beating incident, I think Riddell is a bit of a wtf type signing.

If he's cheap and allows us to still offer Lawry a juicy big new contract then I won't mind.

Jud

Juniors
he'll be playing for the Magpies more than anything by the sounds of it.

Given our lack of a fit and consistent fullback, and a number 7 who Sheens likes and isn't in the midst of legal preceedings over an alleged wife beating incident, I think Riddell is a bit of a wtf type signing.

If he's cheap and allows us to still offer Lawry a juicy big new contract then I won't mind.

If Lawrence doesnt get offered a juicy big new contract, the entire board/coaching staff need to be sacked on the spot.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I like the signing, good back up and kicking option (which has lost us games over the past few years)

N.C.

Juniors
I'm a fan of this signing. He's past it and will spend the year in reggies - unless we need him to step up, in which case he offers more than any of the other back-up hookers that we no longer have on our books... It's win/win.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I wouldnt fancy him on the bench along with the outside back ( to replace Fitzy) that Sheens plays for 3 minutes a game , and Fafita that plays for about 8 minutes...

ed313909

Juniors
farah in the 1/2's doesnt work.................
He is a 9. Thats it....
He kicked 80% in Super League last season..... If only he was a winger sheens would have him on the bench in no time

Borat.

Juniors
farah in the 1/2's doesnt work.................
He is a 9. Thats it....
He kicked 80% in Super League last season..... If only he was a winger sheens would have him on the bench in no time

80% in the super league - I got him kicking 1 goal in the past 2 years..

2010 STATS BELOW

img.php

Mark Riddell
Wigan

Position 15 Shirt number 0 Appearances 24 Tries 2 Try assists 1 Goals 1 Drop Goals 0 Meters 1369 Carries 238 Tackles 521 Offloads 7 Attacking Kicks 2 Runs from dummy half 212 Tackle Busts 19 Marker tackles 73 Clean Breaks 4 Forty twenty 0 Kicks in general play 21 Missed goals 0 Missed tackles 24 Errors 10 Penalties 10 Red cards 0 Yellow cards

Last edited:

DanOz

Juniors
I am happy with the signing - a good impact player off the bench and even if he hasnt kicked a goal in 2 years he would be better than Benji

Bricey

Juniors
you guys know i love a stat....!

metres gained 1369
total carries 238

that is an average of 5.75m metres per carry in 24 matches

73 marker tackles.... 3 per game

212 dummy half runs..... 3.8 per game

Looks like he spent most of his time darting from dummy half, isolating the marker defence and passing before the line late in the set after the forwards have done the hard yards.

but what i love most about this signing is experience..... 12 years of pro footy in either NRL or SL.

Could be a very good signing and an excellent puzzle piece at rep time when players are missing

I believe Piggy will be an excellent addition to our squad,afforded every opportunity to stake his claim for a start in the 17.His straight hard running style would be a welcome revelation of the bench & he is as dangerous as Farah at dummy half close to the line.His ability with the boot is another string to his bow.He could well be the x factor we have been looking for.