What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PL for Norths game

roopy

Referee
Knights v Bears Premier League Round 9

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - Newcastle Knights

NEWCASTLE v NORTH SYDNEY BEARS AT ENERGYAUSTRALIA STADIUM
12.30PM SUNDAY, 7 MAY 2006
PREMIER LEAGUE
Coach: David Fairleigh
  1. Nathan Hinton
  2. Akuila Uate
  3. James McManus
  4. Luke Hession
  5. Trent Salkeld
  6. Brad Tighe
  7. Luke Walsh
  8. Brendan Worth
  9. Matthew Thurston (c)
  10. Matthew White
  11. Dustin Cooper
  12. Chris Bailey
  13. Daniel Abraham
INTERCHANGE
  1. Matthew Kennedy
  2. Jesse Royal
  3. Michael Young
  4. Brendan Hunt
Uate gets his first run in the seniors. He is progressing perfectly for a mid-season run in firstgrade next year. He has had less than 20 games at the club - and progressed from a benchie in Ball early last season to starting in PL.

Abraham gets a run on spot - but he still needs weeks to be ready for firstgrade I'd say.

Royal back from injury - and Thurston as captain are also interesting developments.

thuganomics

Coach
Glad to see Royal back.

Hopefully Uate fires in PL, I'd love to see him have a few games with Joey in the top grade before Joey hangs up the boots.

How long has Abes been playing normally in his matches so far?

Good to see them giving Aku a run with the big boys... it can only help his development.

A pretty decent looking side, even missing regulars like Quigley, Seage and Mullen.

Jono078

Referee
Cant wait to see how Uate goes.

What's happend with Danny Vaughan? Ive heard many good things about him, especially from his games last year, and all of a sudden he's just disappeared it seems.

Roy

Juniors
i thought they where thinking of uate for first grade premantly next season

Frederick

Staff member
Yeah, I can't understand why they're going with Kennedy, and leaving Vaughan in the local comp.

roopy

Referee
Roy said:
i thought they where thinking of uate for first grade premantly next season
He is a kid - still 17 I think.
The fact that he is so talented is pushing him up the grades quickly - but we have to look after him - so we can get ten good years of firstgrade out of him.

Roy

Juniors
roopy said:
He is a kid - still 17 I think.
The fact that he is so talented is pushing him up the grades quickly - but we have to look after him - so we can get ten good years of firstgrade out of him.

i think if he is good enough he should play first grade, i think its a load of crap players like matt kennedy are in premier league ahead of blokes like snowden. Pick your best team age shouldnt come into it at all.

Ben

Bench
I thought Matt Kennedy was going to be discharged, but now he is ranked ahead of a number of props that could eventually play first grade. I don't understand what is going on within the club.

Roy

Juniors
Ben said:
I thought Matt Kennedy was going to be discharged, but now he is ranked ahead of a number of props that could eventually play first grade. I don't understand what is going on within the club.

agreed

Exactly it’s a total waste of time him playing premier league. He will not ever be a first grade player unless we have about 20 more injuries. He is a nothing hack who will amount to nothing, yet he is in premier league whilst the likes of Vaughan are in the local comp an snowden is in flegg.

Why the hell snowden is in flegg is beyond me. This crap that “the other players are to old to play flegg” Bad f**king luck, the premier league team should be the clubs 2nd best 17. Snowden is ahead of nearly all the forwards in that team. A guy that was playing first grade last year shouldn’t be in flegg this year.

The selectors of these teams need to wake up to themselves, and start putting some thought into it.

6togo

Juniors
Being from Qld I don't get too much expose to the PL team. How is Brad Tighe going? Would have thought he would have been in first grade rather than Carmont. Has his form been off? Last year he was an absolute find and has some great skills

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
so kennedy in the gym recently. HE is not built like a prop. More like a 2nd rower at best.

I agree with roy. The best team should always be names.

antonius

Coach
thuganomics said:
Glad to see Royal back.

Hopefully Uate fires in PL, I'd love to see him have a few games with Joey in the top grade before Joey hangs up the boots.

How long has Abes been playing normally in his matches so far?
Played 15 minutes in his first game back, they were saying he'd get 30-40 minutes last week. Looking forward to seeing how he's going this week, as well as seeing young Uate in his first game with the bigger boys. He is certainly a talent, my only critism is he seems to stay out of the game for long periods, he needs to go looking for the ball a bit more, but that'll come with time. Thurston at Hooker is interesting, he's been impressive the games I've seen him play.

roopy

Referee
girvie said:
Matt Thurston. What a legend.
girvie - is he a hooker?
He might be in firstgrade during SOO or if Bedsy gets injured if he has any experience.

girvie

Staff member
roopy said:
girvie - is he a hooker?
He might be in firstgrade during SOO or if Bedsy gets injured if he has any experience.
He has played a bit at hooker but mostly at lock.

Last year he only played 1 game of hooker and the rest at lock or from the bench. In 2004 in Premier League i'm not exactly sure but i think he played he played maybe 25% of games at hooker the rest at lock and a few at 5/8th. When he played in Jersey Flegg he played a bit at hooker but mainly lock.

I think he would go well at hooker in NRL. He would never let the team down. Are there any other genuine hooker options if Buderus and Quigley are out?

Johns Magic

Referee
girvie said:
He has played a bit at hooker but mostly at lock.

Last year he only played 1 game of hooker and the rest at lock or from the bench. In 2004 in Premier League i'm not exactly sure but i think he played he played maybe 25% of games at hooker the rest at lock and a few at 5/8th. When he played in Jersey Flegg he played a bit at hooker but mainly lock.

I think he would go well at hooker in NRL. He would never let the team down. Are there any other genuine hooker options if Buderus and Quigley are out?

Not unless we pinch a bloke from the local competition.

roopy

Referee
Hunt played some hooker in Flegg last year - and a bit during the trials.
Thurston looks like a very mobile forward - if he has a half decent passing game he could make a good hooker from what i have seen of him.