What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is what a truly world class rectangular stadium looks like. Note the ptich of teh seats and the proximity to all 4 touchlines. The rooflines sepcially designed to reverbate noise an dhelp with the atmosphere etc etc..

No doubts though that the addition of a roof and extra capacity will be a positive step forward for RL at ANZ.

emirates-stadium5.jpg

siv

First Grade
The artist obviously isn't an engineer. I don't think the existing trusses are designed for the extra load. Is the roofing material supported on cables?
How will they cool the stadium for spectators? Looks like one big greenhouse.

yes they are - it was part of the original plans for the stadium. and this come from the person who built the main trusses

Fui!!!

Juniors
Don't mean to bump an old thread.

But are these still the plans? On the bid website it is saying "Minor Upgrades" for ANZ stadium.

***MH***

Bench
bump.... since Australia lost the World Cup Soccer bid, is this project still a go'er?
I just watched a replay of last years GF and couldn't help but feel how much better the stadium would be with a retractable roof.

It sucks for all those spectators to spend over $120 for Catergory 1 tickets near the sidelines, only to be soaked to death while the cheap bastards up in Catergory 4 stay high and dry.

Lambretta

First Grade
bump.... since Australia lost the World Cup Soccer bid, is this project still a go'er?
I just watched a replay of last years GF and couldn't help but feel how much better the stadium would be with a retractable roof.

It sucks for all those spectators to spend over $120 for Catergory 1 tickets near the sidelines, only to be soaked to death while the cheap bastards up in Catergory 4 stay high and dry.

I had cat B tickets and was still in the very highest tier.
But yes, watching those that had paid $10 more to sit low to the ground where they couldnt see properly due to ANZ's poor design and get wet into the bargain was one of the more enjoyable parts of the day.

cleary89

Coach
I enjoyed the pouring rain coming down, taking the poncho off at around the 65th minute mark when a guy got up screaming "f**king show your colors" then bring out the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaintttt geeeeeeeeoooooooooooooorgggeeeeeeeeeeee in the red v. What dreams are made of.

I had cat B tickets and was still in the very highest tier.
But yes, watching those that had paid $10 more to sit low to the ground where they couldnt see properly due to ANZ's poor design and get wet into the bargain was one of the more enjoyable parts of the day.

Ha, Dont worry mate 80% of that crowd only had one thing in mind

Timbo

Staff member

Nah, pretty well a dead issue, as well as the retractable ends.

Danish

Referee
There is something to be said about keeping a ground as open as possible anyway.

SFS has clearly the best surface out of all the major grounds (SFS, ANZ, Suncorp, Etihad), and I've no doubt its because the entire pitch sees plenty of sunlight over the course of a day. Meanwhile stadiums that stiffle sunlight to the surface in favour of weather protection for all seating end up with sandy, slippery surfaces.

Still, the roof would have looked bloody awesome. Maybe in 2050 :sarcasm:

manoj p

Juniors
Ridiculous stadium from the start. It has been clear since at least 1964 that Sydney needed a 100,000 seat stadium for rugby league. Even the St Peters brickpit model had a roof.

BDGS

Bench
A compete roof takes away from the game, the weather is apart of our game. To play some games indoor and some outdoor is unfair on the competition.