What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

fourplay

Juniors
The Eastern and Western stands will still be too far away unless they move them in further too.

Evenflow

Bench
:lol:

Perth Red, ever tried being positive about something? F**k me your posts are miserly...

Fair enough you like the stadium Tim but that doesn't change the fact that at least some of what PR says is spot on. The venue was/is very poorly designed in many aspects and you can bet your arse if it was built from the ground up today it's be completely different because of these design flaws.

You only have to read what people have said a million times on here and the poor crowds the stadium gets for the most part to see how average people think it is. For every one person like yourself who is a fan of the place there's about 5 times as many people who aren't. You might call that being negative but it's not, it's fact.

While i'm all for these upgrades happening and think it will improve the stadium somewhat, unfortunately those design flaws will still be there and it'll still be an average stadium. Or an average stadium that will look cosmetically better at least. Don't shoot the messenger mate, i'm just saying (and PR) what many many other people think. We'd all love it to be a jewell in our sporting crown or how Rothfield described it if the works go ahead will make Sydney "the envy of the sporting world" lol but sadly it never will be, even with a shiny new roof.

I'm a sh*tload more excited about plans for a brand new 40K seat stadium than what i am about any cosmetic changes they make at ANZ.

superdog

Juniors
anything to impove the atmospherics at the joint.

been to some truly horrid games at that ground, complete with bullsh*t attendance figures as they try to hide just how much people hate watching rl there :lol::lol:

You obviously aren't an engineer.

It won't be supported by cables. where would they go to? Cables would require an arch far above the stadium, like Durban stadium or Wembley. It would run on rails next to the two existing roof trusses.

The roof truss was originally designed to support a full roof post Olympics, but the money simply wasn't there for them to build it. Currently, it is way way over engineered for what it supports. If you look at the supports of the trusses, the angles they meet the concrete supports it is imediately obvious it is much stronger than it needs to be currently, as it was designed for the roof load.

In all likely hood, this roof will weigh less than the original design as it will be made out of lighter weight materials (it was originally going to have a retractable roof very similar to Etihad Stadium, except curved). No problem whatsoever.

In terms of heating, the design would incorporate venting to prevent the internal temperature becoming like a green house, and the glass pannels would reflect alot of UV and non visable spectrum radiation, meaning it won't warm up much if at all.

Note, most new stadiums incorporate these features, even if its not fully enclosed. The new Melbourne Rectangular Stadium has most of these features in its roof design.

I was being sarcastic with the cable suggestion
Glass is pretty heavy. Polycarbonate would make more sense.
We will just have to wait and see.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's the trouble from posting from La La Land. You wind up having NFI?

A 42k seater to benefit the most teams - Given that Parra re happily locked into it's wonderful stadium next door, Penrith is out of the equasion, Wests function best as the nomdic Beduin tribe of the NRL, Saints are split between 2 cities, Manly centered around Brookie, Cronulla to their boutique swamp, and the Dogs ensconsed at ANZ, that leaves Souths and Easts.

So a 42k seater to benefit Souths and Easts - sounds like we build a 42k seater at the old SSG site. Good idea - ironically the same one Phillip Cox and the SCG trust had 25 years ago. :crazy:

frick Sydney then, the FFA can spend their money in Perth!

Fui!!!

Juniors
so too would new or updated ones within the districts of Manly-Warringah, Penrith, Canterbury-Bankstown, & St George.

I doubt we will see a new one in C'town.

We are only allowed to have 2 stadiums per city (I believe FIFA ruled out classifying western sydney as a separate city).

The FFA would be better off giving the SFS a facelift, and making a car park, and lots of free buses from central.

FIFA rules say 9-12 stadiums are required with capacity over 40,000. And 2 (of the 9-12) over 60,000.

So we have

1. ANZ - 90,000 - Upgraded and new roof added.
2. SFS - 40,000 - Facelift and site upgrades.
3. Etihad - 60,000 - With rectangular seating in place (although AFL need to be convinced).
4. Energy Australia - Easily upgraded to 40,000
5. Canberra Stadium - Has lots of room for temporary seating up to 40,000 (or permanent upgrade)
6. Suncorp - 50,000 - Pretty much set
7. Adelaide Oval - Upgrades approved already - Temporary seating like Etihad can make it a rectangle.
8. Subiaco Oval (Or new WA Stadium) - Subiaco will be upgraded or the WA gov will approve the new AFL stadium - either one can be made into a 60K rec. stadium like etihad.
9. Nth Qld - Again, easily upgraded temporarily (or permanently) to 40K.
10. Gold Coast - I'm not sure of the status of Skilled Park but it might be able to be upgraded to 40K, if not then once the AFL is done with Carrara it can be made rectangular like Etihad.

The only other places (if they want more) is probably
11. Wollongong. Maybe upgrade WIN to 40K (although space is an issue, they can make the Grand stand taller). AND/OR
12. Sunshine coast - A 40K, downgradable to 30K for the NRL team which eventually be based there.

If they decide to do campbelltown, then they probably rule out the SFS.

Last edited:

brooksy19

Bench
I doubt we will see a new one in C'town.

We are only allowed to have 2 stadiums per city (I believe FIFA ruled out classifying western sydney as a separate city).

The FFA would be better off giving the SFS a facelift, and making a car park, and lots of free buses from central.

FIFA rules say 9-12 stadiums are required with capacity over 40,000. And 2 (of the 9-12) over 60,000.

So we have

1. ANZ - 90,000 - Upgraded and new roof added.
2. SFS - 40,000 - Facelift and site upgrades.
3. Etihad - 60,000 - With rectangular seating in place (although AFL need to be convinced).
4. Energy Australia - Easily upgraded to 40,000
5. Canberra Stadium - Has lots of room for temporary seating up to 40,000 (or permanent upgrade)
6. Suncorp - 50,000 - Pretty much set
7. Adelaide Oval - Upgrades approved already - Temporary seating like Etihad can make it a rectangle.
8. Subiaco Oval (Or new WA Stadium) - Subiaco will be upgraded or the WA gov will approve the new AFL stadium - either one can be made into a 60K rec. stadium like etihad.
9. Nth Qld - Again, easily upgraded temporarily (or permanently) to 40K.
10. Gold Coast - I'm not sure of the status of Skilled Park but it might be able to be upgraded to 40K, if not then once the AFL is done with Carrara it can be made rectangular like Etihad.

The only other places (if they want more) is probably
11. Wollongong. Maybe upgrade WIN to 40K (although space is an issue, they can make the Grand stand taller). AND/OR
12. Sunshine coast - A 40K, downgradable to 30K for the NRL team which eventually be based there.

If they decide to do campbelltown, then they probably rule out the SFS.

They count West Sydney as separate to Sydney (SFS & ANZ)

They count West Sydney as separate to Sydney (SFS & ANZ)

Just how many cities do we have in this city?

There's the city of Parramatta, the city of Cambelltown, the city of Hurstville, the city of
Liverpool.

Can we genuinely side step FIFA's two stadia in one city criteria?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Poor old Tassie and Darwin [FONT=&quot]
eusa_snooty.gif
[/FONT]
Don't even get a mention.

Sparky 74

Juniors
Why not have the NRL, FFA, State Gov & Fed Gov upgrade Penrith CUA Stadium to 40
+ cap crowds.

This way the West Sydney A league team can play out of it.

In the NRL the Panthers & West Tigers can share it as a home ground - Forget upgrading CSG

West Sydney's heartland is Penrith

Lambretta

First Grade
the seating plans I like.

The roof....I'm not so sure. Cover the fans, sure. But I would never like to see weather eliminated from Rugby League. I like how different conditions can challenge teams in different ways and change a game.

This was my immediate thought.

I love the seating idea and the fans deserve to be covered if it rains - but dont take the weather out of the equasion altogether.

Roofs can cut out rain and wind, but they can also increase heat and humidity. Look at the 2008 Rugby League World Cup where the roof was closed on Ethihad stadium because of a 5% chance of a shower. This increased humidity inside the stadium and turned it into a sauna. Great for players used to Queensland - sh*t for the England team. It gave an unfair advantage to Australia and they were the ones calling the shots.

A glass roof would be even more of a Greenhouse. You've all been in cars with windows shut and seen how the temperature rises very quickly. Imagine the costs of air conditioning to control all that. Very expensive, not to mention environmentally very unfriendly.

This level of control of being able to control the conditions inside the stadium to suit one side over another is not very sporting but the temptation is there to turn advantages in favour of one side over the other. I'd prefer to take the human element out of the equasion. It's fairer.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Would there be a way to implement some sort of venting system to overcome the "Greenhouse Effect" of the glass roof?

Lambretta

First Grade
Just how many cities do we have in this city?

There's the city of Parramatta, the city of Cambelltown, the city of Hurstville, the city of
Liverpool.

Can we genuinely side step FIFA's two stadia in one city criteria?

Thats a good question.

The Australian definition of a City and the rest of the Worlds definition appear to be completely different. I mean, Australia calls Wagga Wagga a City.

It appears the definition by Australian standards is that an area has to have more than 50,000 people. The rest of the World require a Cathederal and other things before bestowing "City" status on a region.

We'd be asking FIFA to be quite liberal with their definitions. That means palms need greasing. FIFA love a greased palm.

Lambretta

First Grade
Would there be a way to implement some sort of venting system to overcome the "Greenhouse Effect" of the glass roof?

Most of the venting around here only ever seems to increase the temperature ;-) :p

Possibly, but I still prefer the option of extending the roof to cover all the seating, whilst leaving the playing surface open to the elements.

Sydney is a really temperate City anyway, with low rainfall (per number of days). I reckon we can live with the occasion bit of water falling from the sky as long as there is covered seating.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Most of the venting around here only ever seems to increase the temperature ;-) :p

Possibly, but I still prefer the option of extending the roof to cover all the seating, whilst leaving the playing surface open to the elements.

Sydney is a really temperate City anyway, with low rainfall (per number of days). I reckon we can live with the occasion bit of water falling from the sky as long as there is covered seating.

Problem with ANZ is the roof is so high that even if it was over the seating, any prevailing wind would just sheet it in on the punters anyway.

Paulie Jay

Juniors

Doing it in an energy efficient way would be the key, otherwise there could be political resistence to add the roof on "green" grounds. Maybe they could borrow a few extractor fans from the M5 tunnel (you can't see in there as it is, so who's going to miss 'em) and whack them on top.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair enough you like the stadium Tim but that doesn't change the fact that at least some of what PR says is spot on. The venue was/is very poorly designed in many aspects and you can bet your arse if it was built from the ground up today it's be completely different because of these design flaws.
It was never designed as a RL/soccer stadium, it was designed as an Olympic Stadium. The fact it even suits our sport is something we should be grateful for IMO, given it's capacity.
You only have to read what people have said a million times on here and the poor crowds the stadium gets for the most part to see how average people think it is. For every one person like yourself who is a fan of the place there's about 5 times as many people who aren't. You might call that being negative but it's not, it's fact.
People whinge because they can. Poor crowds? We play 12 games there every year and somehow we've managed to be the highest-drawing Sydney club this season, and only second to Brisbane overall in the NRL.
While i'm all for these upgrades happening and think it will improve the stadium somewhat, unfortunately those design flaws will still be there and it'll still be an average stadium. Or an average stadium that will look cosmetically better at least. Don't shoot the messenger mate, i'm just saying (and PR) what many many other people think. We'd all love it to be a jewell in our sporting crown or how Rothfield described it if the works go ahead will make Sydney "the envy of the sporting world" lol but sadly it never will be, even with a shiny new roof.
Perth Red lives in Perth, I'd love to know how often he attends the stadium. You do realise the proposed reconfiguration includes bringing in the ends to allow for better proximity with rectangular sports...
I'm a sh*tload more excited about plans for a brand new 40K seat stadium than what i am about any cosmetic changes they make at ANZ.
If you think the changes (which won't just be cosmetic, despite your pessimistic musings) won't improve the venue for the better, particularly for major events like the Grand Final and Origin, then you're the short-sighted one.

Latest posts