What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play the NZ Anthem at the NRL Grand Final.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Herp Derp.

Again, we are not a NZ side. Ask Michael Luck if he considers himself a Kiwi.

I am a NZ'er btw.

then pray tell
what the hell are you then , if not an NZ side .....

you play out of NZ
majority of players are kiwis
almost all your fans are kiwis

yep
looks like a New Zeland side to me :sarcasm:

Saint Doc

Coach
I'm all for the anthems, but I don't think they should do the "pan" down the team whilst anthems are playing this year. Aussie warriors shouldnt feel like they need to pretend to sing. Just do still shots going from crowd --> player singing --> singer--> crowd --> player singing --> singer etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd like to see the Haka performed more for the crowd than any club aspect,as said both sides have kiwis in them, but would get the crowd going. In fact would be nice to see the NRL include some NZ entertainmnet as part of the day. The anthem is the min that should happen.

juro

Bench
It's not like the Australian anthem is played each year, just because the game is administered in Australia. It is because the teams are representing parts of Australia.

Now that we have a team representing part of NZ, play the NZ anthem.

At least this is one thing we clearly have over the AFL, so let's make the most of it...

GongPanther

Referee
I don't necessarily agree. The NRL is a professional sporting competition which is based in and run by Australia. It's not an international test. Not everyone in the Warriors side is a New Zealander either.

Correct.

Thread over....and out.

joshreading

Staff member
I don't necessarily agree. The NRL is a professional sporting competition which is based in and run by Australia. It's not an international test. Not everyone in the Warriors side is a New Zealander either.

Whilst the HQ of the NRL maybe in Australia, the competition itself is not "run by Australia", fairly sure that would make Julia Gillard the ultimate boss, which might be a problem.

Our competition is actually an international competition with two nations presently having representation and with the possibility of more in the future.

By your logic, it could also be said that the competition is 'run by NSW' by virtue of it having its HQ in Sydney and the majority of clubs in NSW.

In the last ten years it is unlikely that there would have been a Grandfinal that was a hundred percent Australian, so by your logic we shouldn't play the Aussie Anthem.

Play the Anthem of NZ and Australia because this game is about two clubs that represent areas in two nations.

And I can't wait for the Kiwi Haka in the stands as we have seen in the last couple Warriors games.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Also, and this is a big point that people seem to overlook:

How can we have a second NZ NRL side if one of them is called the New Zealand Warriors?

A return to Auckland Warriors marketing moniker is a must IMO.

I don't see the need for a team name. The Warriors is fine, as far as I am concerned. We all know they're based in Auckland, but they play elsewhere around the country (in other teams' home games I realise) and in trials.

If there was a second team, then yeah absolutely - name them Auckland. But for now I think it's counter-productive.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm a Warriors fan and do NOT want the anthem played.

For a start the Warriors are a club side, they do NOT represent NZ (someone tell this to Ray Warren), we are a club whose roots lie deep in the Industrial belt of Auckland.

The Kiwis are our national side, let's not blur the lines between club and country.

We should respect the fact that we are playing in an Australian National Competition by solely listening to Advance Australia Fair.

That's a good point. It's like the Manly CEO coming out and saying everyone in Sydney should cheer on Manly next week because they're representing NSW. They're not representing NSW they're representing the Manly club and that's it. There will be more people from NSW cheering on the Warriors next week then there will be cheering on Manly.

Eels Dude

Coach
Whilst the HQ of the NRL maybe in Australia, the competition itself is not "run by Australia", fairly sure that would make Julia Gillard the ultimate boss, which might be a problem.

Our competition is actually an international competition with two nations presently having representation and with the possibility of more in the future.

By your logic, it could also be said that the competition is 'run by NSW' by virtue of it having its HQ in Sydney and the majority of clubs in NSW.

In the last ten years it is unlikely that there would have been a Grandfinal that was a hundred percent Australian, so by your logic we shouldn't play the Aussie Anthem.

Play the Anthem of NZ and Australia because this game is about two clubs that represent areas in two nations.

And I can't wait for the Kiwi Haka in the stands as we have seen in the last couple Warriors games.

It was a competition started in Australia. The only reason it's called the NRL as opposed to the ARL is because of New Ltd. As I said earlier that's the reason why they play the Australian anthem at the GF. If they want to play the NZ anthem then it is probably a nice gesture but it shouldn't be necessary and considered offensive if they don't.

We've even got New Zealanders commenting in this thread saying they didn't think it would be appropriate as the Warriors don't represent the entire country but rather just Auckland.

siv

First Grade
Wouldn't it be a nice touch, that in addition to the Australian national anthem, that the NZ anthem be also played at the NRL GF?

The team is representing NZ, so why not?

Would do a lot for the game in NZ if the NRL pays respect to the country.

NO - beacuse tehy are teh Auckland Warriors and not the NZ national team

If they were the NZ national team they would not be allowed to play in the NRL - and would only play in the 4 Nations

bobmar28

Bench
It was a competition started in Australia. The only reason it's called the NRL as opposed to the ARL is because of New Ltd. As I said earlier that's the reason why they play the Australian anthem at the GF. If they want to play the NZ anthem then it is probably a nice gesture but it shouldn't be necessary and considered offensive if they don't.

We've even got New Zealanders commenting in this thread saying they didn't think it would be appropriate as the Warriors don't represent the entire country but rather just Auckland.

Sea Eagles don't represent Australia, just the insular peninsular.

Latest posts