What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play the NZ Anthem at the NRL Grand Final.

Raiderdave

First Grade
There's plenty of Warriors supporters that don't want it. Myself included.

Get on with the game. Nationalistic pride isn't at stake, it's a club match.[/QUOTE]

Its not a club match you wombat :crazy:

ITS A GRAND FINAL :roll:

Both anthems .... played at the biggest single sporting event in Sydney ..NSW /QLD .... probably Australia .... is very appropriate

stick your fingers in your ears ( or somewhere else , I don't care)
if you don't want to hear it

99% of people do
K?;-)

firechild

First Grade
There's plenty of Warriors supporters that don't want it. Myself included.

Get on with the game. Nationalistic pride isn't at stake, it's a club match.

I largely agree. I'd be happy with no national anthems but if they're going to play one, play them both. Doesn't really bother me either way but NZ should get recognition is they so desire.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I'm a Warriors fan and do NOT want the anthem played.

For a start the Warriors are a club side, they do NOT represent NZ (someone tell this to Ray Warren), we are a club whose roots lie deep in the Industrial belt of Auckland.

The Kiwis are our national side, let's not blur the lines between club and country.

We should respect the fact that we are playing in an Australian National Competition by solely listening to Advance Australia Fair.

Yeah..
& the Kangaroos are ours
theres no blurring of lines for fans of our club sides who play in GF's

the Warriors aren't an Australian side playing out of NZ
they are a side representing NZer's
& NZ's anthem should be played as a result.

Our anthem should be played every single year. We're the best league nation in the world, respect our contribution to the game FFS.

Lego_Man

First Grade
the Warriors aren't an Australian side playing out of NZ
they are a side representing NZer's
& NZ's anthem should be played as a result.

Herp Derp.

Again, we are not a NZ side. Ask Michael Luck if he considers himself a Kiwi.

I am a NZ'er btw.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I think playing the NZ anthem is an honourable thing to do, if a NZ based team makes the Grand Final.

I was there in 2002, and it was awesome to hear our anthem. Made me very proud to be a Kiwi.

hitman82

Bench
Herp Derp.

Again, we are not a NZ side. Ask Michael Luck if he considers himself a Kiwi.

I am a NZ'er btw.

Yeah exactly, it'd be illogical and tacky to play the NZ anthem at the NRL grand final.

But it's a big event, and big events love cheese. So they should probably play it.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Yeah, look im not that offended by the idea.

It's just that i'd like to see the Warriors separated a bit from this NZ notion - firstly because i regard us as an Auckland club, and secondly because the patriotic association reinforces silly notions amonst some (eg that the Warriors have an unfair advantage by having a "whole country to choose from".)

Also undermines the Kiwis a little bit.

dimitri

First Grade
Yeah, look im not that offended by the idea.

It's just that i'd like to see the Warriors separated a bit from this NZ notion - firstly because i regard us as an Auckland club, and secondly because the patriotic association reinforces silly notions amonst some (eg that the Warriors have an unfair advantage by having a "whole country to choose from".)

Also undermines the Kiwis a little bit.

yeah its an odd situation
although an Auckland based club - they are named NZ - and for their own good, they should be aiming for support/sales from people from all over NZ

And by giving it an US (NZ) v them (Aus) feel - it might help build support/passion etc

Meth

Staff member
Again, I don't care for either anthem being played.

But if they play the Australian anthem, I suppose it's fair play to play the NZ one as well.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Also, and this is a big point that people seem to overlook:

How can we have a second NZ NRL side if one of them is called the New Zealand Warriors?

A return to Auckland Warriors marketing moniker is a must IMO.

IanG

Coach
As stated earlier it was played in 2002. I was there. Jenny Morris sung in. Was the same night as the Billy Idol non performance.

nomis88

Juniors
It should be played. It would make a nice change to have a decent anthem played for a change. Then again any other anthem would be better than our funereal dirge of an anthem.

Saint Doc

Coach
What about Matai, Foran etc go link arms with the Warriors and Maloney, Lillyman etc go link arms with the SeaEagles for the anthems ;)

bildo

Juniors
This!!!

I've never understood the justification of anthems at a non-international event.

It is just silly jingoistic crap imho. We are asked to stand for the national anthem before the annual pre season NRL trial held each year here in Cairns
even when both teams are from OZ..Lol : ) I think it is an attempt to make the event appear to be of national importance or somefink.

Latest posts