What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Clean out

Swarzey

Bench
aku's a legit rep player because he got 4 games for NSW or whatever it is and still can't tackle?

OK.

Gidley was such a spectacular player at rep level too.

Oh wait. Always has been bog average.

And Like JW said, McMaus too. But oh wait, you're too stubborn to admit that you're wrong :lol:

slotmachine

First Grade
yep, jimmy has been a real fixture at rep level too. smh.

gids for all his faults got plenty of origin and aus games.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Gids had some outstanding games for Australia. The one where he played hooker after Smith got injured 5 min in was probably the best

Swarzey

Bench
Playing better footy than the two wingers NSW picked for this week too. Apart from Johnston there isn't another NSW winger running about that gets even close to his form.

Joel-22

Juniors
clearly slotmachine was talking about established rep players - not players who have played a few games of rep and then went to shit. David Williams, Steve Turner, Nathan Merritt, Jamal Idris are "rep players".

Players like Smith, Gallen, Bird, Thaiday, Inglis, Slater, Hayne, Myles, Hodges, Morris, Jennings, Boyd, Marshall, Mannering, Hoffman, Vatuvai, Matai, Moa, G & S Burgess, Williams, Foran, Cherry Evans, Lockyer, Thurston, Farah, Cronk, Lewis, Civoneceva, Kenny-Dowell etc. etc.

It's pretty easy stuff guys, it's very clear what he was saying and quite frankly he is correct - Kids is the last of our "legit" rep players.

Joel-22

Juniors
Just looking at our 2015 "first grade" squad on the knights website and decided to list the players here. Bolded are the players I'd like to see browny tap on the shoulder (i've included players who are gone next season.

Daniel Levi
Adam Clydesdale
James Elias - never heard of her
David Faalogo
Jaelen Feeney
Marvin Filipo
Lachlan Fitzgibbon
Dane Gagai
Kurt Gidley
Chris Houston
Jake Mamo
Chanel Matautia
Pat Matautia

Sione Matautia
Sam Mataora
James McManus
Jarrod Mullen
Clint Newton
Tyler Randall
Tyrone Roberts
Robbie Rochow
Nathan Ross - keep here as depth, nothing more
Beau Scott
Korbin Sims
Tariq Sims
Jeremy Smith
Kade Snowden
Michael Steele - never heard of her
Jack Stockwell
Joseph Tapine
James Taylor - how's he going?
Tuiala Togiatasi - how's he going?
Carlos Tuimavave
Akuila Uate
Pat Vaivai

That leaves:
Jack Stockwell
Joseph Tapine
Korbin Sims
Tariq Sims
Jeremy Smith
Kade Snowden
Robbie Rochow
Nathan Ross
Jarrod Mullen
Trent Hodkinson
Sione Matautia
Sam Mataora
Jake Mamo
Dane Gagai
Daniel Levi
Adam Clydesdale
Jaelen Feeney
Micky Paea

We need young, enthusiastic wingers and centre depth
And both our centres need to work on their defence particularly Dane.

Noname36

First Grade
On top of those that are thankfully already leaving we need to tap Houston, Uate, Ross, Chanel and maybe Randall and Clydesdale on the shoulder. Gagai can go to NSW Cup until he learns to tackle too although I'd like to keep him. I would have said McManus but I'd have him in the side immediately over Ross and Aku at the moment.

Matt23

Staff member
Speaking of Jimmy is right to play on next season, or are the head knocks sending him into retirement?

Swarzey

Bench
It's going to help tremendously when we have two solid defending halves in Mullen and Hodkinson inside of our centres. Gidley and Roberts are terrible at reading the opposition attack; so many times Gagai and Mata'utia are unnecessarily left to make decisions because of poor reads.

I'll say it again, I hope to God McManus doesn't retire because despite not being flash, despite not having the speed, he's safe as f**k with the ball and I can't remember the last time he's cost us a game.

I'd give Clydsdale another season just because I think it's best to have a rotation with Levi.

Move Uate on, look at the ESL for depth; that Tom Briscoe looked pretty damn good the other week. f**k Houston off; I know we're precious when it comes to juniors getting spots but when you look at guys like Mamo, Tapine, Levi, Mataora having a dig every week it's hard to argue against giving the chance to King, Yates, Safiti brothers etc.

Jimmy was absolute class IMO until injuries caught up to him. I have always maintained that if was he blessed with Uate's pace he would be in the top 5 in the game for wingers. We need to leave wingers to the bottom of the barrel though when it comes to recruitment. Brown's biggest job is making this club attractive to other players and that will only arrive when we make the 8 and do it regularly. What is strange is that this wooden spoon feels ok to me as it justifies the Rebuild the Knights campaign 100%.

Whats Doing

Bench
I would tap Ross, Mataora and Clydesdale as well.

We need as big a clean out as possible and the above 3 don't cut the mustard at NRL level.

I know he's one of the forum's whipping boys but he's been one of our best in recent weeks.
I dont think he has been close to our best. He has basically done enough to hold his own, which is a marked improvement from what he has dished up this year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Uate has to go, I don't care if we have to folk out 70% of his contract! the bloke is a cancer! his lack of effort today was absolutely criminal. In one passage of play you see Tariq Sims, a backrower chase down a centre when the game was already lost more or less, then a few minutes later you see Uate, a winger get beaten with a bit of footwork and then not even try to chase a backrower. At the beginning of the second half he drops the ball cold inside his own red zone, and instead of getting back in D to stop any potential counter attack, the bloke just stands there. Some blokes like Gids can be accused of trying too hard, well we can't accuse Aku of that. The bloke is on 4 to 5 times the money of some of the younger guys, he's a senior player, what kind of message does it send to the younger guys, what kind of culture does it instill into the squad when you have senior players who look like they couldn't care less

Swarzey

Bench
500k too. f**k me.

Could buy two excellent wingers from the ESL for that much and replace him and Ross.

aqua_duck

Coach
The price tag doesn't even bother me anymore tbh, the young players need strong leadership to guide them through, few years ago when SBW signed with the roosters, a lot of the players said how he inspired them with his attitude and work ethic, that's now rubbed off on guys like JWH and Boyd Cordner, they see their senior players play with ferocity and intensity and they don't want to be left behind, our young guys see Uate and how disinterested he looks and it's terrible

Loose Cannon

Bench
Uate has to go, I don't care if we have to folk out 70% of his contract! the bloke is a cancer! his lack of effort today was absolutely criminal. In one passage of play you see Tariq Sims, a backrower chase down a centre when the game was already lost more or less, then a few minutes later you see Uate, a winger get beaten with a bit of footwork and then not even try to chase a backrower. At the beginning of the second half he drops the ball cold inside his own red zone, and instead of getting back in D to stop any potential counter attack, the bloke just stands there. Some blokes like Gids can be accused of trying too hard, well we can't accuse Aku of that. The bloke is on 4 to 5 times the money of some of the younger guys, he's a senior player, what kind of message does it send to the younger guys, what kind of culture does it instill into the squad when you have senior players who look like they couldn't care less

This could not be countered in any court of law. Damning evidence, and every word pure truth.

Noname36

First Grade
I dont think he has been close to our best. He has basically done enough to hold his own, which is a marked improvement from what he has dished up this year.

I wish the majority of the squad had been good enough to hold their own.

Last edited: