What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

thickos

First Grade
I can tell whats gonna happen once all the dust has settled. We're gonna have LOST:

Big Rubes
Monas
possibly Davico (where the hell did all this come from?)

and gained

NO-ONE except Jason Smith.

Not happy. :evil: And with 8 off contract next season, how is this club meant to build towards anything?

We clearly aren't rorting the system well enough, either that or too many people at the Raiders are on too much cabbage already.

mike83au

Juniors
Here you go guys - fun reading from the Canberra times: :x

Monaghan's moment of truth
By Bevan Hannan
Friday, 9 July 2004

Centre Joel Monaghan's concern about eight established Raiders' players coming off contract next season will have a major bearing on whether he decides to leave Canberra for either the Sydney Roosters or Manly.

Both prolific try-scorer Monaghan and Kiwi Test skipper Ruben Wiki are planning to make announcements on their futures today.

Monaghan will remain in the National Rugby League while Wiki is expected to join an overseas club either in the English Super League or the New Zealand Warriors.

New Zealand media last night reported Wiki would officially sign with the Warriors today, ending his 12-year career in the nation's capital.

Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay is now expected to turn his attentions to Wiki's Canberra teammate Luke Davico, with speculation last night Davico had agreed to a three-year deal with the English club pending a release from the Raiders.

Canberra officials said they were unaware of any such deal.

The Raiders have a host of experienced stars up for grabs in 2005 including captain Simon Woolford (29), Davico (31), Ryan O'Hara (23), Clinton Schifcofske (28), Ian Hindmarsh (27), Adam Mogg (26), Tyran Smith (30) and Jason Bulgarelli (28). New signing Jason Smith and winger Michael Robertson also have release options.

All players are well placed to attract interest from rival clubs, especially with the possibility of new NRL licences being issued to the Gold Coast, Central Coast or Wellington (New Zealand) in 2006.

Monaghan said the number of unsigned players would weigh heavily when he sat down with his parents to make a choice last night.

"That's probably the main reason I've thought about looking at another club," Monaghan said. "The majority of them are our best players and senior players. I don't think that we can keep all of them."

Player agent Jim Banaghan flew into Canberra last night to "tidy a few things up" with Wiki and to meet with Monaghan, who was having greater difficulty settling on a club.

Earlier in the week Monaghan said it was between Canberra and the Roosters, however the Sea Eagles were again in the frame.

"They gave me a deadline during the week but I wasn't ready to make a decision so I said 'no'," Monaghan said. "They came back with a bigger offer yesterday, so it has thrown them back in the mix."

Monaghan's older brother, Michael, is the newly appointed captain at Manly and is lobbying hard for the Sea Eagles.

"He's already got me a Manly jersey," Joel said. "I've spoken to him a bit but I have always told him I wouldn't change clubs just for him."

Monaghan also met with coach Matt Elliott yesterday and is closely consulting with senior teammates, including full-back Schifcofske.

"He is one bloke I spoke to," Monaghan said. "He gave me his honest thoughts and I took them on board. I spoke to a few of the boys and I want talk to them again."

Elliott said it was important that the Raiders kept both players and admitted the duo had a mental barrier to hurdle before tomorrow night's vital round 17 match against North Queensland at Canberra Stadium.

"They are going to have to use all their powers of concentration," Elliott said. "It has certainly been a distraction to me having to go through this sort of stuff at this stage of the season."

Meanwhile, Monaghan is awaiting clearance to resume from a knee injury against the Cowboys.

Monaghan ran with the team yesterday and will be assessed today before Elliott finalised the line-up.

Hard-working second-rower Terry Martin has been ruled out with a hip flexor injury but will be available to play premier Penrith next weekend.

The Cowboys have lost winger Matt Sing, who is out for the season after having his jaw wired to repair an injury from State of Origin III.

Mal Meninga

Bench
How are our 'young guns', Weyman and Milne going? I can see Rothery starting full time next year with Muss leaving.

thickos

First Grade
Whatuira joins the Tigers for 3 years. Strike another outside back off the 'players available' list then.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Bevan Hannan said:
The Raiders have a host of experienced stars up for grabs in 2005 including captain Simon Woolford (29), Davico (31), Ryan O'Hara (23), Clinton Schifcofske (2, Ian Hindmarsh (27), Adam Mogg (26), Tyran Smith (30) and Jason Bulgarelli (2. New signing Jason Smith and winger Michael Robertson also have release options.

Nor experienced nor a star IMO. Sure, most of the other players are experienced in the NRL but not Bulgars.

Wellington???? What does NRL stand for??? NATIONAL, not international. I think we should stick a team on the gold coast next year to make 16 - f_ck the bye off. Then, give the Storm one year to prove it should be allowed to stay in the heart of AFL land. If the NRL deems them to have failed the task, relocate them to the Central Coast and rename them to be the North Sydney Bears or something more local.

greeneyed

First Grade
Can I add something? Elliott looked like he was totally under seige on WIN TV news tonight. He basically looked like he had no answers. He refused to comment on the rumours Davico wants to go to Wigan saying something like he wouldn't discuss such a thing on camera, when he hasn't even discussed it with the player concerned. Then he looked completely grim faced when asked if Joel Monaghan was going to stay. He just said he didn't know anything more and basically had no idea what he was going to do.....

The club looks like it is in complete disaray to me.......

What a shocking recruitment strategy we have put in place.

Bay56

First Grade
greeneyed said:
The club looks like it is in complete disaray to me.......
What a shocking recruitment strategy we have put in place.
greeneyed we have'nt had a recruitment strategy for some 10 years.

Of late we have been crying out for some outside backs and instead buy players for positions we already have covered.

We let go quality players in positions that will weaken the team ... of recent times Monas and Lolesi.

There is no doubt in my mind that elliot and co dont have a friggin idea on how to encourage players to stay and definitely nuthin on how to entice quality players. They couldnt even sign an ex-junior (Kite) back to the club.

I have been professing this for some time and, as you know, was recently criticised for "not waiting till the 30 June deadline".

WELL THE 30TH JUNE HAS COME AND GONE BOYS .... all those who had great confidence in Elliot .... "give mangement a go" they said .... well they have had their chance and now it is time to move on. I dont know where their talents lie but it definitely is not in the hurley burley world of player negotiations. We need experience in this area ... what a f**k we got rid of the likes of Stuart and Clyde.

greeneyed

First Grade
Gould just on and HE SUPPORTS the 30 June deadline... the evilness of this deadline is on show for all to see and the Roosters support it........ I honestly think if the players don't want to do it in October, then we should ABANDON any anti tampering deadline. It should be a free for all. Clubs should be on guard all the time and negotiating all the time. But the mid season deadline is so incredibly damaging to the game ... I can't believe anyone believes it is in the interests of the game for such a concentrated focus on players changing clubs in the middle of the season is good for the game and doesn't take away the focus from the football.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
I'm with you on the abolishment of the Anti-tampering deadline, greeneyed. At least make it that the player can talk with another club any time he likes, but can't sign with them until a week passes after they first met with the other club and informed the management of their current club. This gives the player's current club a chance to see what is happening and try to put a stop to it if they so wish.

Raider_69

Post Whore
its simple
abolish the anti tampering shit and make it law that the club the player is signed to at the time has a right of reply before a contract can be signed

greeneyed

First Grade
Put it like this. In any job, if you are on a contract.......... and I am myself........ you can generally negotiate with others at any point. There is no provision in my contracts that prevent me from negotiating with others at any stage... some contracts do stop people going off and doing other things... but that should be up to the employee and employer what to put in the contract. If you want a release from your current contract, you negotiate it...... simple. I don't see a problem in a free for all. The 30 June deadline actually means that there is a concentrated period in which everyone changes over or not.... well that just bids up everyone's price in a frenzied negotiating period... it is stupid!!!!!!!!!! It ignores the economics, while focusses on the law. The law is stupid. The NRL isn't achieving what it actually wants to do. Silly silly silly policy.

ball boy

Bench
why dont we go after Brenton Bowen.. he is very good when he plays 1st grade and would be a lot like phil

Raiders Rock

Juniors
ball boy said:
why dont we go after Brenton Bowen.. he is very good when he plays 1st grade and would be a lot like phil

He has got a lot of speed, mabey a bit too small. I oftem see him get creamed when big forwards line him up. Might be a good bench player for when forwards get tired but personally I wouldn't go after him...

Raider Ultra

Bench
How many top players do we have to lose before something is done about it. We should be no where near the cap, yet we can't hold onto the few possible representative players we have. Add to the fact that the only player of any note we've signed in the last 2 years is an old fart, who will be lucky to play 10 games next year, and its obvious its always one step forward, and 3 back with this club.