What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

SOULS 04

Juniors
yep definate cringing going on

i think monas will stay
im hoping for a christmas in july type miracle that will see wiki stay as well

greeneyed

First Grade
Absolutely nothing on WIN TV news about Monaghan and Wiki. It was pointed out that the club has a long term signing problem, with 8 players coming off contract at the end of 2005 and talk of extra clubs coming into the competition. Schifcofske was interviewed and said other players whose contracts are up this season had been asking the players whose contracts were expiring in 2005 what they intended doing. Schifcofske said he had told them "as best he could" (I would be very surprised if he said anything but that he would want to stay). Kahler was interviewed and he said there is an offer on the table for him to re-sign, his manager is looking at that and a couple of other options also. Simon Hawkins was interviewed and he acknowledged the need for a long term retention and player recruitment strategy and that is challenging. He said though, that some of the prices being paid this season for new recruits were "extraordinary" and the club was not interested in signing up players for unreasonably high prices.

Both of Schifs kids were born in Canberra werent they, and isnt one nearing pre-school age now? Would be difficult for him to up and move his family at this stage of their young lives me thinks.

Edwahu

Bench
How could any of next years off contract player say what they were going to do given the stupid amounts of money that have been reportedly thrown at guys like Riddell, Tahu, Kite etc

Even if those amounts are exagerated, every player is still all going to want to test the market to see if some crap club or english side is willing to give them massive dollars. Next years silly season is going to be unbearable :cry:

Mal Meninga

Bench
If CC is introduced into the comp we're gonna have to fight tooth and nail for Rhino, and I just don't see management winning the battle.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
If CC is introduced into the comp we're gonna have to fight tooth and nail for Rhino, and I just don't see management winning the battle.

Dont worry about that because CC won't get in because i have a strong feeling about this.

thickos

First Grade
TiTTieS said:
what the fu-ck is "CC"? I got no idea.

Central Coast mate. Its either the Central Coast or the Gold Coast for the 16th team in 2006 (if any). Rhino is a Central Coast boy and has said that if the CC were re-admitted he would strongly consider moving back there to play.

Lets all cheer the Gold Coast on :clap:

jed

First Grade
True we might lose Rhino, but all other teams would lose players too - let's start with Orford from Melbourne.

jed

First Grade
From today's DT
-------------------
Eels close in on Tahu, Morrison
By Dean Ritchie
July 8, 2004

PARRAMATTA held official contract talks with Glenn Morrison yesterday and the Eels also moved a step closer to signing Newcastle's Timana Tahu.

Morrison, the North Queensland Cowboys representative lock, was offered a two-year deal after meeting with Eels officials yesterday morning.

It is understood Morrison has told Cowboys officials he will not be at the club next season.

Parramatta have also made a massive offer to Tahu.

Manly yesterday withdrew from the race to sign him, ensuring he either stays at Newcastle or signs with the Eels.

Tahu will make a decision on his future when his coach Michael Hagan returns to Newcastle from Queensland State of Origin commitments.

Manly last night confirmed they could not match the offer for Tahu and will now focus on Canberra outside-back Joel Monaghan.

Some claim Tahu has received an offer of $400,000 a season but Parramatta say their offer is for about $300,000 a year.

South Sydney yesterday re-signed rising halfback Joe Williams for two years.

The Daily Telegraph
--------------------------------------------------------------

Considering Manly stated that Joel had a deadline of last night I was happy that they'd dropped out of the race, and that it was down to staying with the Raiders or becoming a rorter. Now, not so impressed.

Earl

Coach
jed said:
True we might lose Rhino, but all other teams would lose players too - let's start with Orford from Melbourne.

Add to that Paul Stringer (Souths), Brett Kearney (Souths) and even Danny Williams (Melbourne) has shown intrest.

jed

First Grade
What is the situation with their contracts though? O'Hara and Orford would both be able to start in '06 with no contract issues.

jed

First Grade
In today's DT, it says that we're chasing Stuart Fielden, and that this will likely happen if we release Davico. Hawkins also denies in the article that we're looking to release him. It also mentions that there are only 2 English players in the NRL (Morley & Thorman), and that Thorman is contemplating returning to ESL after not setting the NRL on fire.

Just speculation on my part, is it possible that we're chasing Fielden, not to replace Statue, but to replace Wiki?

mike83au

Juniors
Davico to be released?? Seems odd to me....

Wasn't he begging to be re-signed by us last year when (for god knows what reason) we weren't going to? Even took a big pay cut, by all reports...

Don't think he'll be going anywhere. Particularly when you consider the type of form he's been in lately :)

Wiki joins Warriors
July 9, 2004

CANBERRA enforcer Ruben Wiki has agreed to join the New Zealand Warriors in a three-year deal.

The Kiwi Test forward told Raiders management today of his decision to join the Warriors from next season.

Raiders team-mate Joel Monaghan, who is being chased by three other NRL clubs - Parramatta, Manly and the Sydney City Roosters - has told Canberra officials he will make a decision on his future by Sunday.