What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

legend

Coach
That reeks of desperation as does every word coming out of the club at present.

It's hard enough getting a player to want to come to Canberra but things don't look pretty in Canberra and I am seriously worried about the development of the club.

After a great year last year when all up and comers, especially Joel should have been re-signed before they even thought about their long term future but we have put all our eggs n one basket and there is not one quality player left on the open market who would dare consider joining Canberra.

jed

First Grade
Break-up fears give Canberra the jitters
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/10/1089000404323.html?oneclick=true
By Steve Mascord, at Canberra Stadium
July 11, 2004
The Sun-Herald

Raiders 32 Cowboys 28

Departing Canberra prop Luke Davico admitted his team was affected by sadness and anxiety as coach Matthew Elliott blamed speculation over player movements for a patchy effort against North Queensland.

Davico confirmed a two-year deal with Wigan after the Raiders hung on to beat North Queensland, despite appearing to have the game in their keeping at least twice.

An intense Elliott said afterwards the departure of Davico and second-rower Ruben Wiki - and continuing speculation centre Joel Monaghan was leaving and Englishman Stuart Fielden was arriving - had affected Canberra mentally.

"Considering the circumstances leading into the game, I'm really proud of the players," he said, hitting out at "people who crawl out from under a rock" when it is time for players to negotiate new contracts.

"I can tell you it's been a personal distraction . . . I spend most of my time with the group so I consider that if it's a distraction to me, they're thinking about it as well."

Davico admitted there had been a lot of uncertainty among the Raiders following the NRL transfer deadline of June 30, as players were unsure what to say to each other and were hearing conflicting stories about what their teammates were doing.

"There's a tinge of sadness and a bit of anxiety amongst everyone," he said. "At the same time, I think in the run towards the semis we're going to be a lot closer together because this is the last time a lot of our players who have been here a long time will be together.

"A lot of those things are private; you play ducks and drakes [with each other]. Sometimes you sit down with some of them and they tell you straight . . . some don't tell you.

"Sometimes the stories get confused. You hear one thing from one person and one thing from another and you don't know which to believe. Things have been a bit tangled up."

When fullback Clinton Schifcofske waltzed through threadbare defence for the Raiders' second try in the space of three minutes early in the first half, the home side looked anything but distracted at 14-2.

But five minutes into the second half it was just 20-14. The Raiders scored two quick tries for 32-14 and again looked home - only to concede three quick touchdowns and set up an uncomfortably close finale.

Elliott was clearly disturbed by recent developments on the player market - Monaghan is tipped to join Manly or Sydney Roosters tomorrow - and bristled when asked if the Raiders had not been aggressive enough.

"I think we've been very aggressive in the marketplace," he said. "One thing - and perhaps it's something I need to get more control of - that you should never do in recruitment is speculate and feed speculation.

"I believe recruitment is like income. It's confidential, it's private until it's done."

When asked if such a policy could put him in a position where he had to tell fibs, Elliott answered: "One of the things you see when you go through these trading periods is the behaviour of a lot of people is extremely disappointing. I look back on my behaviour and it's getting better but you can't help but do things you would prefer not to . . . I'd like to think my behaviour runs a long, long, long way short of . . . people who crawl out from under a rock."

Cowboys captain Travis Norton admitted it would be "tough" to return to the top eight without the injured Matt Sing, Kevin Campion, Paul Bowman, Chris Sheppard and Jamie McDonald.

"But the younger players we've got . . . they'll be better for the experience," Norton said.

Poida_Raider

Bench
thanks for that jed. a good read.

i think i may have missed a bit the last couple of days, but theres talk in the papers of up to six players wanting out of here. i remember a couple weeks ago schif kissing the raiders logo.. either he changed his mind, or its all out of context. i'd like to think the latter.

greeneyed

First Grade
Elliott said Stuart Fielden is definitely not coming to the club, he is on a 5 year deal in the UK.

jed

First Grade
from the Rubgy Union Times, http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... sport&story_id=320248&y=2004&m=7

Raiders now hiring - several positions vacant and money to burn
Monday, 12 July 2004

Could the Canberra Raiders be looking to Stephen Kearney and Jamie Lyon to fill the voids left by the exit of three stars in recent days?

It is just a theory. That's all that we have to go on now that Raiders have decided to keep future recruitment targets "hush, hush."

But it goes something like this.

The Raiders have plenty of cash left under the salary cap with Ruben Wiki, Luke Davico and Joel Monaghan moving on in 2005.

Chief executive Simon Hawkins said on the weekend that the Raiders were negotiating with up to three established first graders, all Australian-based.

There is not an abundance of name unsigned players up for grabs in the obvious positions that the Raiders are looking to strengthen.

Davico's departure was something the Raiders were going to have to face up to in the near future, anyway. He will be 32 next year and there is a 19-year-old by the name of Michael Weyman coming through the ranks. He scored three tries in the Raiders 76-0 Premier League romp over North Sydney on the weekend and, providing he can stay injury-free, is clearly a top prop in the making.

This leaves Wiki's position in the back-row and Monaghan's spot in the centres.

Melbourne Storm captain Kearney, 32, has more than 250 first grade games and 44 Tests for New Zealand to his credit. He has exactly the size and experience the Raiders are seeking to replace.

Kearney has been linked closely to England, however there is one other NRL club reported to be in the running.

With Canberra admitting it has been an aggressive player in the market and now with more bucks to spend, it would be reasonable to speculate that the Raiders are that club.

Lyon is more complicated. The 22-year-old Kangaroo Test centre shocked the league world when he walked out on the Parramatta Eels earlier this season. A country boy at heart, Lyon was sick of Sydney and is now back playing bush footy.

Parramatta released Lyon on the proviso he didn't play for another NRL club prior to the end of 2006, when his deal with the Eels expires.

Lyon has been persistently linked with Manly, where the man who got him to Parramatta, Noel "Crusher" Cleal, is now recruitment manager. So why would Canberra have a shot at him?

To start with the ACT would probably be a more appealing destination than going back to Sydney. Less hustle, less bustle. The Bush Capital could well be the lifestyle compromise Lyon is looking for to make a comeback to to big time football.

Now I hear you asking, "but what about the Eels?"

Firstly, could you really expect Parramatta to release Lyon to play with arch-rivals Manly? But Canberra might be a different story.

The Eels have been busy on the player market, snaring Glenn Morrison, Timana Tahu, Mark Riddell, Paul Stringer and Chad Robinson. Their stocks have swelled, thank you very much.

The Raiders most successful recruiting in recent times has been from Parramatta with Clinton Schifcofske Adam Mogg Michael Hodgson and Ian Hindmarsh all important players in the present first grade line-up.

Canberra coach Matt Elliott is a Brian Smith protege, and they remain very close.

If anyone had a chance of talking Smith around, you would assume Elliott would receive a better hearing than most.

It may be a wild theory. But these are wild times.

jed

First Grade
taken from the Sydney Boring Herald, http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/11/1089484244368.html?oneclick=true

Disquiet at Canberra as Roosters sign Monaghan
By Steve Mascord
July 12, 2004

Canberra coach Matthew Elliott yesterday described the Sydney Roosters' signing of Raiders centre Joel Monaghan as "predictable", a day after slamming "people who crawl out from under a rock" when players are off contract.

Monaghan's agent, Jim Banaghan, yesterday confirmed the 22-year-old had signed a three-year deal with the Roosters, joining second-rower Ruben Wiki (Warriors) and Luke Davico (Wigan) in leaving the club at the end of the season.

Elliott blamed speculation about player movements for the uncomfortable closeness of the Raiders' 32-28 win over North Queensland at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

"It's just predictable," he said yesterday. "It's disappointing but I wish Joel the best and we will just focus on what we have to do for the rest of the year."

Elliott was less philosophical on Saturday night, saying the toing-and-froing over the future of several players had been a distraction in the lead-up to the game.

Wiki announced on match eve he was heading to Auckland, while Raiders officials denied last week that Davico had been granted a release - then circulated a media statement confirming it at full-time.

The Raiders have failed to sign Brent Kite from St George Illawarra and David Kidwell from Melbourne, with Hull's Jason Smith their only high-profile signing and Bradford's Stuart Fielden in their sights.

Skipper Simon Woolford said: "Late in the week I was really thinking a lot about what was going on with the player movements.

"It's a part of being a professional rugby league player. These things happen every year and we've just got to do the best we can and get through it."

Woolford said Wiki and Davico were "in the twilight of their careers and both doing what is best for them. Good luck to them for making the decisions they have.

"No one could begrudge that. We've been good mates for a long time now and they've certainly got my blessing.

"It still doesn't take away the disappointment that they're not going to be here next year."

hrundi99

First Grade
I tend to think that the "dramas" are being a little blown out of proportion.

Wiki and Davico are both entering the twilight of their careers, and it is commonplace for older players to go looking for the last big contract to set themselves up.

Wiki is going home (his sister has returned to the family thankfully) and Davico won't be playing against the Raiders.

Joel's decision is the only one that genuinely hurts, but he's looking after number one, or at least he probably thinks he is. He's a young kid and the bright lights and the leading club have an understandable allure.

Despite the BS in the papers there isn't some mass exodus about to occur. We still have a solid core of players, with veteran leadership in Toots, Germ, Macca and Schif, good forward depth (Weyman moves into Davico's spot, Rothery/Hodgo/Martin moves into Wiki's spot?) and based on Smith's performance on Saturday night, decent back depth.

Add to this the playmaking leadership and tutelage from Jason Smith (to help take Macca and Carney to the next level), and perhaps an extra solid body or two, and I think we are in pretty decent shape myself.

Most of the starting 17 will have played rep footy, whether it be senior or junior.

I don't have my head in the clouds. I simply think that we still have scope to be optimistic about the coming few years. We'll make the 8 next year. Mark my words.

legend

Coach
I feel the same way and I hope the clubd can atleast secure one first grade level outside back for depth and competition for positions.

ball boy

Bench
we should go after

Carl Webb
Stephen Kearney
Scott Donald
Luke Williamson
Casey McGuire
Clint Newton
George Carmont

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
reptar said:
Who was that storm player who signed with the Raiders last season then quit rugby league?

Rua... why?

Cheers, I was just wondering after reading that article suggesting Kearney might come up our way. It made me think for a second that he was the man until I realised that he hasn't quit league yet.

jed

First Grade
From the Daily Telegraph http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=1620301

Raiders stick to signing policy

By JAMES HOOPER

July 14, 2004

THEY have failed to lure one big-name player and lost four top-shelf stars yet Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins refuses to alter the Raiders' recruitment policy.

The Raiders made a play at six off-contract players on the open market, but failed to secure one signature.

Established stars targeted by the Raiders included Brent Kite, Matt Orford, Amos Roberts, Brett Firman, Johnathan Thurston and Frank Pritchard, but all opted for rival clubs.

"The public perception might be that internally things are a little bit under pressure but that is not the case," Hawkins said.

"To be honest, I've been involved in this organisation for 15 years and we haven't got a strong record of attracting players from Sydney.

"Historically we've developed juniors and bought people in from Queensland.

"That's what we'll continue to do.

"It's been successful for us in the past."

The Raiders were dealt the hardest hand of the season three days ago when promising centre Joel Monaghan announced he was joining the Sydney Roosters next season.

Monaghan is believed to have been unhappy with the length of time the negotiating process with Canberra dragged on for.

Coach Matthew Elliott said earlier this week the Raiders could have handled the Monaghan affair better.

Elliott acknowledged that the club needed to review its recruitment strategies, contrasting with Hawkins' view that the current system was working.

Fullback Clinton Schifcofske admits the Raiders may have to pay above market price to attract players for next season and beyond.

"We've got some really good young kids coming through but it's important we get some established players here so they can continue to learn and come through," Schifcofske said.

To worsen the situation, long-term servants Ruben Wiki and Luke Davico have taken up more lucrative deals elsewhere next year.

Add to them Brad Drew, who is leaving because he failed to win the hooking duties, and centre James Evans. Both are heading to English club Huddersfield next year.

This leaves the Raiders with a thin roster and plenty of money available under the 2005 salary cap, with club insiders admitting they are one centre and one back-rower short for next year.

The only player they have recruited is former Queensland and Test player Jason Smith from Hull in England.

Elliott, who is now looking to get more involved in the recruitment process, is understood to have spoken to player managers in Sydney yesterday.

legend

Coach
What a complete disaster. Times change and we as a club have to move with the times or get left behind as is now the case.

BAY72

Juniors
i still can't believe that the coach hasn't untill now, been part of the selection process.
to me that would be a vital role.

how could any coach sit back and not take part.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Geez it must be a big factor playing under stuart
he offered monnas a room at his house ffs, find me another coach that has gone to that langths to sign a bloke

elliot needs to take a more hands on role with negotiations