What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player market news

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
I think it's one thing to blame the coach and management if you're talking about a player potentially moving from one Sydney club to another, but Canberra doesn't have the best reputation weather-wise. If the player doesn't want to relocate because of where the club is situated that's one thing, if it's because of management/coach/teammates, that's when the club should be copping a serve.
Jed believe what you want lad .... you know my feelings on the matter ... a few years down the track with the same people at the helm and you will be thinking likewise (two years too late).

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Bay56 said:
Frawley and Webb have been signed by the Cowboys as far as I know ... another failure from Elliot and co to sign quality players.

I'll tell you a secret.

There are players out there who don't want to play for the Raiders.

:?

And I'll tell you another .. there are players out there who dont want to play for the storm, nor the eels, nor .......

But what makes them all want to play for the rooters ...

hrundi99

First Grade
Way to be patronising to Jed there dude.

"You're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong".

hrundi99

First Grade
Bay56 said:
hrundi99 said:
Bay56 said:
Frawley and Webb have been signed by the Cowboys as far as I know ... another failure from Elliot and co to sign quality players.

I'll tell you a secret.

There are players out there who don't want to play for the Raiders.

:?

And I'll tell you another .. there are players out there who dont want to play for the storm, nor the eels, nor .......

But what makes them all want to play for the rooters ...

Because in this day and age young people don't have the patience to work hard for something, show consistency, and be loyal. Why train hard and excel for years for "nothing" when you can just go to a club and be odds-on to win the GF or be thereabouts your first year there, and have a few rep jerseys thrown in for good measure.

It's an extension of the microwave age. "I want everything NOW".

Do you think Wiki, Price and Davico are leaving their clubs because they want to win the GF? Of course not. They don't have the same mentality that younger people often have nowadays.

Kudos to Joe Williams for bucking the trend.

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Way to be patronising to Jed there dude.

"You're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong".

When we make our first big signing of the year then come and tell me I'm wrong.

You are not going to convince me that every player that we tried to sign this year thought "nah, nah, Canberra, too boring, too cold". Management are obviously convinced this is the case, hence our problem.

End of matter for me ..... I think I'll stick to more humorous things.

jed

First Grade
Bay56 said:
jed said:
I think it's one thing to blame the coach and management if you're talking about a player potentially moving from one Sydney club to another, but Canberra doesn't have the best reputation weather-wise. If the player doesn't want to relocate because of where the club is situated that's one thing, if it's because of management/coach/teammates, that's when the club should be copping a serve.
Jed believe what you want lad .... you know my feelings on the matter ... a few years down the track with the same people at the helm and you will be thinking likewise (two years too late).

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just pointing out that there are other reasons why people might not sign, not just the ineptitude of management. I can assure you, if I received several job offers, including a few that required me to move interstate, I wouldn't necessarily pack up everything to move.

I am incredibly frustrated too that we are failing to get signatures on the dotted line, but I also have faith that we will still be a force to be reckoned with in years to come.

Bay56

First Grade
hrundi99 ..... "Because in this day and age young people don't have the patience to work hard for something, show consistency, and be loyal"

and I thought it was boring cold canberra that was our problem !!!

You seem to be fighting my battle now .... remember what I said in previous posts about getting Ricky and Loz back, etc etc, if they play dirty we should also play dirty, etc etd

A conplete management and coaching overall ... thats what we need, not some big heater in the sky to keep us warm in winter.

raiders_boy

Juniors
I saw something in the Daily Telegraph yesterday about us losing our players, and they absolutely slammed canberra as a place to live saying it was boring, and showing what canberra have in terms of landmarks and things to do compared to Sydney. If the papers slam us, then who is gonna come here to live?

hrundi99

First Grade
I think you're missing my point.

The Roosters are appealing to shortsighted young players because they think it's an easy ticket to the GF and rep duties.

Other players may also find Canberra unappealing because of the weather, the supposed ennui, the lack of family and friends, etc.

If Joel really thought about it he should have realised that this team is still pretty competitive (including his valuable contribution) and that he would still have challenged for an origin jersey with good, consistent, form.

I'm sure Stuart and Gould were in his ear about rep duties, and that pisses me off no end and reminds me that rep coaching duties and administration should be club-independent so they can't be used as bargaining tools.

There is only so much the Raiders management can do to attract players who don't want to play for the club.

Congratulations to Carney, Weyman, Schif, etc for seeing the light.

jed

First Grade
The Daily Telecrap having a go at places outside Sydney? Say it isn't so! :lol:

It's a very Sydney-centric paper. Remember the shit they were dishing out to Queensland in the lead up to Origin? What about the crap they published in the lead-up to the Swans vs Collingwood game?

Take it with a grain of salt. But a lot of what they said is also how non-Canberra people see the ACT. I'm surprised they didnt mention the roundabouts. :lol:

Raider Azz

Bench
Take it with a grain of salt. But a lot of what they said is also how non-Canberra people see the ACT. I'm surprised they didnt mention the roundabouts.
Does anybody remember back in round 1 vs. the Dragons that drunk guy that came up and kept giving us sh*t about the roundabouts? :lol:
"They just go round and round and round and round and round......." :lol:

Bay56

First Grade
I think you are missing my point ....

now lets just say that the Raiders had gus and rick at the helm ... hey, we might have even kept Joel here !!!!!

hrundi99

First Grade
Bay56 said:
I think you are missing my point ....

now lets just say that the Raiders had gus and rick at the helm ... hey, we might have even kept Joel here !!!!!

But he would have stayed for the wrong reasons.

There's no I in team, etc etc.