What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Movements

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I would agree. This season I felt they had one quality back more than was necessary but were one to two quality forwards short to really challenge when it mattered.

Having said that, I'm sure some forward buys will come to light soon. On the positive side, Simon Phillips is a fairly hardy player. I saw him score three tries in the Stingers' Foley Shield win last month.

I thought the other stars that night were Luke Walker from Townsville and Shane Grainer and Palmer Wapau from Cairns. Any word about any of them for next season ?

Harko

Juniors
Big Cam Cherry said:
I think Clint Amos was picked in one of the rep sides last year from memory. I'm not sure if it was Brisbane or the Qld Residents side that played QAS.

Is he heading up your way Harko

Amos will be a Cowboy in 2004!

Harko

Juniors
Seagullsrock said:
Seage gone Phillips In. I think we lost a great fullback and gained an ok winger. Its not backs that Wynnum need. Its forwards. I mean whos gonna replace Monkey Maher and Mohammed Allouche when they retire. Chris Anderson is past it. There is the Durnford twins but I think Wynnum is wasting there time buying backs.

I grew up with Donk so just to let you know he has played plenty of fullback in his days as well as wing. Also pretty hand with the goal kicking boot too. You've picked up a talented young bloke in him, unfortunate he was dogged by injury this season.

Harko said:
XXXX Cap said:
Harko said:
Young Gun Simon Phillips is set to sign with Wynnum-Manly!

Also Clint Rothery from Tweed has signed with the Comets as well as former Wynnum player and brother Wade Rothery.

Stretching it a bit to call Wade Rothery a Wynnum player - he might have signed but he never played !

Yeah I was thinking that, did he ever play for them? What are his previous clubs?

Also I read someone calling it Wynnum-Manly, it's not is it? My apologies if it isn't.

I don't know if Rothery played in any of Wynnum's trial matches but he certainly never appeared for the club in any game during the competition. Ended up playing for a local Rockie club (can't remember which one though).

Apart from the Comets, Wade has also played for the Broncos/Brothers (when the two were linked up in 1998) & Balmain.

Harko

Juniors
Yeah I knew where Wade was this season, any idea why he left Wynnum?

And how do u think Shane Tronc will go for us at the Cowboys?

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Apparently he didn't play for Wynnum because his mother was crook. Simon Phillips may be handy but I saw him miss one straight in front 10 metres out at Kougari. Plus we don't need 3 goalkickers.

Harko

Juniors
HAHA! consistency hasn't always been his strong put in his goal kicking but it's always handy to have the depth their, on his day he can slot them from everyone, he certainly is a good signing for Wynnum.

Wynnum have also signed Jermaine Alberts.

I hear they are spending up big if you believe everything you hear Tony Duggan got eveything except the Gateway Bridge to sign for the Seagulls.

I wonder if the scholarship house they have set up will be anything like the one Brothers had in the 80's

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I could only assume that the very successful Leagues Club has become more generous than they were a few seasons ago.

Might have something to do with having more confidence in the current management of the Football Club.

Harko

Juniors
Has their new alignment with the Sea-Eagles got anything to do with it? The Comets are certainly improving in leaps and bounds off the field here. Results are forthcoming in 2004.

I bet Manly doesn't tip a single dollar in. Besides, I think they have to look after their own backyard because they are one of the poorer performing NRL clubs at the moment.

Wynnum-Manly Leagues Club is a pretty sizable establishment. Not as big as Redcliffe or Broncos but I'm sure most other football clubs in the Queensland would love to have a Leagues club the size of Wynnum's.

Harko

Juniors
Rocky Leagues club is a pretty good set up. not sure how it is compared to Redcliffe and Wynnum's but it's pretty big.

Wests Panthers got a booming leagues club :)

If you saw where Wests are located, you'll see why they are doing it a bit tough. Being located at the foot of a mountain and basically in the middle of no where makes things very difficult.

I'm sure, if the Panthers were situated in similar locations as Redcliffe or Wynnum, they would be doing quite well.

Harko

Juniors
I know exactly where the poor buggers are located! It'd be an hour drive for anyone to go have a beer there :D

zulu

Juniors
Going to Wests Leagues club at night!! :shock: :shock:

Scary stuff! I was always afraid that Geoffry would emerge from the bushes and do the Panther dance. Scary for a kid.

zu.

He Zulu, I met your namesake after the Legends of League at Dolphin Oval last month and had a few beers with Stan Napa last Saturday night after the races at the Hammo.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Harko said:
Rocky Leagues club is a pretty good set up. not sure how it is compared to Redcliffe and Wynnum's but it's pretty big.

Had a look at the Rocky Leagues Club when I went through there lately. Pretty impressive - it would be close to the size of Wynnum's. Its location seems good as well.

Come on a bit since my only other visit to Browne Park in 1972 - CQ v NSW Country - absolutely bucketed rain all night.

What work are they doing to the ground - it looked like a construction site ?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Sorry, originally had trouble getting the above post to stick. Went on twice before I edited it.

Latest posts