What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

natheel

Coach
I've had to deal with players with my work: Petro 70 a litre, Darren Senter, Shane Rigon, Mark Minichello, Michael Greenfield, Amos Roberts, Andrew Emeilo, Jason Ferris, Nathan Smith, Hassan Saleh, Eric Grothe Jnr, Mitchell Sargent etc. Some in good circumstances and others not if you can join the dots

What's ya work mate?

Big_nick

Juniors
Went to school with Danny Wicks. He was bar none the biggest prick in the entire school. He was in the grade above me the entire time and was just the most sour, arrogant, aggro prick there was. His brother was a close run second..

Your a Grafton boy then? I concur about danny, dont mind his brothers though.

My old work was contracted with the tits and souths, plus worked casually with about 5 other clubs, so I have met many over the years and had a drinks with a fair few. Tallis is a great man also, dont like his commentary, but he is great for a chat.

IanG

Coach
Not one of my own but interested that Daly Cherry-Evans was spotted in the crowd a few weeks ago at the Roosters v Bulldogs game. Is that a common occurance? Players going to games their team isn't involved in.

Doga

Juniors
Not one of my own but interested that Daly Cherry-Evans was spotted in the crowd a few weeks ago at the Roosters v Bulldogs game. Is that a common occurance? Players going to games their team isn't involved in.
He grew up and is good mates with Ben Barba

Vic Mackey

Referee
A bloke I work with played juniors with Robbie kearns at the sharks. Went out on the drink with them once, kearns got blind and said that he wante to punch mark murray (storm coach at the time) in the face. He did the punching action while he said it, was pretty funny

In about 2003/04 I shared a cubicle with 2 first graders at wallaby bar.

It was the off season so i guess they could get away with it.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I can't remember how but a mate of mine got Chris heighingtons number. We sent a message from another mates phone saying something like 'hey I'm a massive fan of yours, would love to meet up sometime xox' he called my mate obviously thinking it was a groupie. My mate had no idea what was going on and heighno was apparently none too pleased about his new found fan being male...

Years ago I saw Anthony tupou dusting it up with the empire bouncers. It took 4 genuinally massive units to restrain him.

Mark gasnier was infront of me for the line To get into shore thing one year, got to the front and he said 'I don't have a ticket but can I get in anyway?' and the bloke let him in

Greg bird tried to chat my mrs up at northies, she had no idea who he was and said he was 'ugly as'

Saw mark riddell with an absolute stunner at peaky inn many many years ago, she was a friend of a friend and I asked her what she was doing with him and she said 'I know he is ugly, but his a footy player'

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
Kevin Gordon was in my nutrition class at uni this year for 2-3 weeks before being recalled back into the FG squad this year, always sat by himself.
Hasn't returned since making the team again (classes are on friday).

Mr Chook

Juniors
Story 1
I used to know a bloke who was the Raiders physio in the late 80's. The day before the '91 GF I met the Raiders team thanks to him at the Camperdown Motel they were staying at. Got photos with Mal, Daley, Stuart, Walters, Clyde, Sheens, Lazurus to name a few.
Also watched them go through their final training session. I ended up chatting to Brad Clyde as we were all walking back to the motel. When were were about 100 metres away from the hotel we spotted all the media hanging out the front looking for interviews, Clyde said "shit, lets do the bolt down here" and we ran around the back to avoid them.
All the Raiders players that day were nice enough, Stuart seemed like a bit of a knob though. Clyde was the best of a good bunch.

Story 2
The former Raiders physio started a small business putting on functions and he got his footy mates to turn up as special guests. One time he brought Laurie Daley up to do a thing at Central Coast Leagues. The day before his function me, my mate and Daley went to Wyong races and got absolutely blind drunk in the directors bar. We were the last ones to leave the track, even the bar staff had gone home and we had the president of Wyong Race Club behind the bar pouring us staffies!! I hate Daley as a commentator but he was a top bloke that day.

A few weeks later he brought up Michael O'Conner. We played a round of golf with him at The Entrance. Nice enough guy but quiet and wasn't really interested in striking up a conversation as we walked around the course.

Story 3
Was out on the town in Sydney with another mate in '98 at an Irish bar in the CBD when the entire Qld Origin team walked in for one of their "team bonding" sessions. We ended up getting in a Bundy shout with Choppy Close - absolute champion bloke, was as friendly as can be. He introduced us to Wayne Bennett (who was just sipping a lemon squash) and Shane Webcke. Both came across as quiet types.
Alfie Langer was blind, running around and humping everyone's leg like a dog on heat. Wendell was out on the dancefloor encircled by about 5 or 6 chicks.

Jordan

Juniors
Was at the Madcow in Townsville ordering a drink at the bar.. happened to be standing next to Willie Tonga. Next thing you know some big maori looking guy king hits him and knocks him out cold. It made the media a few weeks later.

Always see James Tamou out on the town as well. Genuinely nice guy. I was pretty blind a week or so ago and walked past him and gave him a high five and told him he was going awesome this year. He was pretty drunk as well (he seems to be a bit of a cadbury for such a big fella), was like cheers bro and gave me a hug.

wibble

Bench
I broke the phone of one of my child hood heroes.

It was one of my first days in a phone shop many years ago, and Gavin Miller needed a hand with his old phone. Luckily my manager smoothed things over, and Miller took it really well- he was very calm and friendly. My boss didn't even know who Miller was.

Not much of a "meeting" but it made a lasting impression- I walked past a man mountain in Civic one day, and nearly died of fright when this monstrous thing moved swiftly and gracefully past me. He was only my height but each leg was as wide as me and he could have snapped me in half without blinking. I was in genuine fear for my life when he moved so quickly towards me, but he was just shopping- then I saw who it was and realised why he'd been such a great footballer- Mal Meninga - he was so powerful looking up close, years after retiring, and to think people had to try to tackle him.

Also OT but I nearly killed Brett Lee one day- well, nearly ran into his broken arm, anyway. Wouldn't I have been popular...

TheDalek079

Bench
the company i work for had a big dinner on Sunday night and Inga Tuigamala (All Black, then later played for Wigan) was the guest speaker

Knightmare

Coach
Story 1
I used to know a bloke who was the Raiders physio in the late 80's. The day before the '91 GF I met the Raiders team thanks to him at the Camperdown Motel they were staying at. Got photos with Mal, Daley, Stuart, Walters, Clyde, Sheens, Lazurus to name a few.
Also watched them go through their final training session. I ended up chatting to Brad Clyde as we were all walking back to the motel. When were were about 100 metres away from the hotel we spotted all the media hanging out the front looking for interviews, Clyde said "shit, lets do the bolt down here" and we ran around the back to avoid them.
All the Raiders players that day were nice enough, Stuart seemed like a bit of a knob though. Clyde was the best of a good bunch.

Story 2
The former Raiders physio started a small business putting on functions and he got his footy mates to turn up as special guests. One time he brought Laurie Daley up to do a thing at Central Coast Leagues. The day before his function me, my mate and Daley went to Wyong races and got absolutely blind drunk in the directors bar. We were the last ones to leave the track, even the bar staff had gone home and we had the president of Wyong Race Club behind the bar pouring us staffies!! I hate Daley as a commentator but he was a top bloke that day.

A few weeks later he brought up Michael O'Conner. We played a round of golf with him at The Entrance. Nice enough guy but quiet and wasn't really interested in striking up a conversation as we walked around the course.

Story 3
Was out on the town in Sydney with another mate in '98 at an Irish bar in the CBD when the entire Qld Origin team walked in for one of their "team bonding" sessions. We ended up getting in a Bundy shout with Choppy Close - absolute champion bloke, was as friendly as can be. He introduced us to Wayne Bennett (who was just sipping a lemon squash) and Shane Webcke. Both came across as quiet types.
Alfie Langer was blind, running around and humping everyone's leg like a dog on heat. Wendell was out on the dancefloor encircled by about 5 or 6 chicks.

:lol: Sounds about right.

Might have mentioned this before, but Akuila Uate was in my U/19's side back in the Woy Woy days. He was a quiet kid, barely said a word, mostly hung around with the other islander boys. If somebody told us that one of the blokes in our team would end up playing for Newcastle, NSW and Australia, I don't think anybody would have said "Oh, it'll be Aku for sure!"

Couldn't be prouder of the bloke...

Joker's Wild

Coach
Saw Greg Inglis at KFC Eastgardens today.

561152_452880454746537_1028017343_n.jpg

Fire

First Grade
^ lol I saw that story. Shame for GI, might have to find another Macca's to go to :lol: