What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Aragorn

First Grade
yeah, good photos BRF82.

BTW who is that guy in the hood standing between Inu and Mannering? is that Kevin Locke?

Knightmare

Coach
A couple of years ago I was on a boys trip up in Cairns. The PM's XIII were at a pub I was at. I can tell you right now Fergo and Bird are right into the disco dust. Bird is a good bloke though. Offered me a line and everything.

Ferguson is an absolute merkin though. I actually heard him say on three occasions "do you know who I am?"

Apparently Ian Roberts said the same thing to a gay friend of mine when he stepped up to the urinal. My mate laughed and walked out...

RABK

Referee
Few various things i've witnessed over the years...

Brent Kite tripping on the escalators at Rockdale plaza.

Luke Ricketson get swarmed by girls when hitting the floor at the Bristol Arms then cracking the shits when it continued for over an hour.

Jarryd Hayne get rejected by a female friend of mine who was dating a Sydney FC player at the time.

Andrew Johns and Dan Carter having a chat at Auckland Airport a few years back. Real bromance.

Willie Mason literally crawling into a cab after a big night at the old GAS nightclub.

Greg Bird square up with some huge islanders at Northies.

Tim Smith thrown out of Northies and then passing out in the street.

Watching my built like a tank indian friend who bounces at Surf Rock square up to Watmough after he removed his shirt before i became the peace maker.

Wayne Pearce walk into a St George bank and blow up deluxe at the staff when they told him he couldn't deposit into a Westpac account there.

Craig Wing break up a fight involving me and my friend Andrew against 2 other lads at the Empire.

Michael Crocker blowing up at what i presume was his missus as he was getting dragged around womens clothing stores in Bondi westfield.

Braith Anasta win $1800 on the pokie next to me and start shaking me like mad to tell me about it. Because $1800 was big money to a bloke on $500,000+

I've seen countless other players out and around but they are some of the mroe memorable things i'vw witnessed.

Last edited by a moderator:

RABK

Referee
Oh and Matty Bowen logged on to do his internet banking on my laptop in the foyer of the hotel he and Thurston were staying at in Parramatta, the hotels foyer computer wasn't working and he politely asked me if he could use it. Both very nice guys and i believe that was the night Thurston hooked up with that ugly footy groupie, charmane pavli (sp). 2008/2009 if i recall correctly.

Also spent a day at the races with Benji Marshall a year ago, have a close friend married to a Woolworths Executive and Benji was the guest of some fat cats.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
LOL

James Maloney

Lewis Brown

Manu Vatuvei, Ukuma Ta'ai and Russell Packer

And the group photo
579254_10150680232106254_669426253_9608146_1014186220_n.jpg

Nice pics, but must point out to the uninitiated that BRF82 has gone the extra mile by being in full warriors uniform.

Note: uggies, ladybro!

I saw Michael Crocker a few years ago on Swan Street while he was still playing for the Storm. Heard someone grunting as if in pain, turned around and it was him, just from the effort of lifting a couple of shopping bags into the boot. He's always been noted as a player that leaves nothing in reserve, and looking at the way he hobbled around to get in the car, he'd earned every cent that week.
Asked him if he was ok, he just laughed and said he'd come good sometime in November.
From memory it had been about 4 days since they'd played - can't remember who it was though.

Knightmare

Coach
That would have been 2008, Thursto hooked in with her at the same time as the NRL fan day at ANZ. Thursto was getting round in these dark sunnies, clearly the night before had taken its' toll!

Cowboys woo

Juniors
Based off those photos I didn't know Rusty Packer was that big

See Shaun Timmins all the time at Chickos getting a feed... I remember at a footy clinic all the Drwgons were there, this was probably back in 2004, I told Shaun that he was my favorite player and then he cuts me off and says your mum is taking a photo and showed no interest in talking to me. I was a sad 10 year old boy after that.

Trent Barrett came to our school earlier this year and gave the whole school some motivation talk. Seems like an alright bloke. Ben Creagh comes in sometimes too and struts around like he owns the place.

Last year or the year before the Dragons were coming to school and teaching the boys in year 7, 8, 9 and 10 how to do basic footy skills. We were told the Dragons players were gonna be stars. People were excited to see Matt Cooper, Brett Morris, Jamie Soward etc. Then Michael Greenfield, Bronx Goodwin and Nick Emmett turned up. Everyone was like who the f*k are they :lol:

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
Saw Peter Robinson at Northland with his missus a while back. Was in my Scotland 2000 RLWC jersey and he had a brief look of realisation when he saw it. Gave him a nod which he returned and kept walking.

Saw matt geyer in a supermarket some time in 2000. Was wearing my Queensland jersey and a st. Helens cloth cap. He looked puzzled to see a bloke in the gear of two of his opponents.

Israel Folau I used to see going to the movies at jam factory all the time. Matt king came in to work one day when I was off sick and one of the lads asked for a signature for me. King was happy to oblige and said "is your mate here? Id love to say gday if he wants to come down..." My colleague explained I was off sick and matty passed ok his well wishes and hoped I got better soon. Lovely bloke.

Don't see many storm players around Melbourne to be honest. Lockyer, Petro and Tongue are the three nicest players I've met though.

LESStar58

Referee

Luke Ricketson get swarmed by girls when hitting the floor at the Bristol Arms then cracking the shits when it continued for over an hour.

Jarryd Hayne get rejected by a female friend of mine who was dating a Sydney FC player at the time.

Andrew Johns and Dan Carter having a chat at Auckland Airport a few years back. Real bromance.

Willie Mason literally crawling into a cab after a big night at the old GAS nightclub.

Watching my built like a tank indian friend who bounces at Surf Rock square up to Watmough after he removed his shirt before i became the peace maker.

Wayne Pearce walk into a St George bank and blow up deluxe at the staff when they told him he couldn't deposit into a Westpac account there.

Craig Wing break up a fight involving me and my friend Andrew against 2 other lads at the Empire.

Michael Crocker blowing up at what i presume was his missus as he was getting dragged around womens clothing stores in Bondi westfield.

Braith Anasta win $1800 on the pokie next to me and start shaking me like mad to tell me about it. Because $1800 was big money to a bloke on $500,000+

I've seen countless other players out and around but they are some of the mroe memorable things i'vw witnessed.

Top post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ordered subway for lunch one day in the gong a year or so ago , out came the cashier and it was Peter Johnston ( one of my favorite eels player from the late 80's early 90's. I asked him about his league days and was shocked ( in a nice ) way that recognized him. He was a nice guy and was happy to talk about his run in with Mario Fenech on the field.

David boyle ran/owned a fitness club I was a regular at. Very nice guy and was always willing to offer advice

firechild

First Grade
John Hopoate ran a footy passing comp at the Big W I was working at when I was in high school. He actually seemed like a pretty good bloke, great with the kids (probably helps that he has so many of his own). My mum used to work at the high school Will went to and she spoke to John a few times and he was always pretty keen to help out with driving the kids to and from games and help out with training. She reckons off the field he is one of the nicest blokes you'd meet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trent Barret took some time out to come and say well done on us setting up a supporters group when he was at nib a couple of years ago. Nice bloke and the wife approved!

Knightmare

Coach
Is it even worth mentioning seeing Peter Wynn in his store?

Paul Langmack was in there one day having a chat.

Jason Stevens came to my Highschool and spoke exlusively to my year (I was in Year 9 at the time). Apparently he called up our school and offered to come in of his own accord. Later in the day I walked past him and one of the teachers and thanked him for coming in. Stevo remembered my name! I was quite impressed...

At the 2004 7's Mario was there signing stuff and I asked him if his father still visits his brothers' grave every day (read it in an interview with Mario from an old League book). Mario said his old man did, yet he was saying his bro died in 1987 (it was actually 1984, Mario said so in the book interview and mentioned that Ron Willey was Souths coach at the time. Piggins was coach in '87). I didn't say anything but I was quietly surprised that Mario wouldn't remember what year his own beloved brother was killed...

Knightmare

Coach
Is or was? 2007 was 5 years ago now, I get the impression Hayne has tamed himself down a little since then...

Those ones made me lol

themacemaceman

Juniors
A mate of mine ran into Mal Meninga at "The Castle" night club in Newcastle.....now call King at Hotel. Mal had played in an origin legends game earlier in the evening in Newcastle. He had 2 girls hanging off each arm an my mate said to him excitedly " hey Mal how'd ya go tonight". Mal replied "just got beat mate". My mate thought Mal would appreciate the interstate rivalry and replied "f#%€ing good" . Mal didn't take it so well and tried to punch his head in.

Latest posts