What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

ethan tremblay

Juniors
my dad went too NZ back when i was around 2/3 so it was late 80's what i can remember. anyway he was playing footy over there on an end of season trip they got on it one night anyway the old boy was in the toilet doin a piss and a bloke stood next too him it was wally lewis my father then turned and proceded to piss on wally lewis's leg

Tooooks

Bench
Met a few players over the years through my various employments. Laurie Daley seemed like a nice enough bloke, ditto Mal Meninga. Brett Mullins seemed okay too (unimpressed with him smoking in the car with his young kids in the back though).

Clinton Schifofske (I'm sure I've mispelled that) was always polite although a bit quiet. I don't generally talk with players about footy - I figure they get enough of that and just like to be treated like anyone else.

A friend of my brother is mates with Todd Carney and swears he's a good bloke when he's off the piss...but then I've spoken to some Goulburn residents who think the whole Carney family are scum (stories too numerous to mention).

Second Hand Stories

A few years back a couple of very large 1st grade players (one Raider, one Bulldog) were OC sprayed in the city for punching on. Were arrested and later released without charge (don't think the media got a hold of that one).

A couple of colleagues (in my current job) have met Josh Dugan. He is a knob of the highest order, second only to Blake Ferguson who is an absolute cretin.

Mum met Bradley Clyde in his playing days and always had nice things to say about him.

AnfieldIron

Juniors
I've met Brent Kite on a few occasions - really good guy.

Last month through work I spent an hour or so with Bryce Gibbs & Jeremy Smith. Again, two good, genuine blokes.

woodyk2

First Grade
I'm good mates with an NRL ref...you blokes hate him...i do to sometimes as well. He is unbiased and professional and its great getting his perspective on what we whinge bitch and moan about.Prick still gets it wrong though.

LESStar58

Referee
I was visiting a friend in Balmain when I was up in April and she kept telling me about the cafe that Matt Adamson runs on Darling Street. Apparently the coffee is top notch and Adamson is a lovely bloke....

LESStar58

Referee
I'm good mates with an NRL ref...you blokes hate him...i do to sometimes as well. He is unbiased and professional and its great getting his perspective on what we whinge bitch and moan about.Prick still gets it wrong though.

The refs in my association call me "Arch" cos in my first season the refs coach told me I had some of the same mannerisms and sometimes the same high pitched Rodney Rude voice...

Wizardman

First Grade
When I was in high school, I wrote a letter to Wayne Pearce, who was coaching the Balmain Tigers at the time. We got the spoon that year, but he rung up my house to thank me for the letter. It was an interstate call and was totally shocked to hear my childhood idol on the other end of the line. We talked for about 10 minutes....great guy.

I met the Parramatta Eels team through work at around 2002. I mainly worked with Brian Smith and Paul Green. Green was quiet but Brian Smith was great value.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
:lol: Sounds about right.

Might have mentioned this before, but Akuila Uate was in my U/19's side back in the Woy Woy days. He was a quiet kid, barely said a word, mostly hung around with the other islander boys. If somebody told us that one of the blokes in our team would end up playing for Newcastle, NSW and Australia, I don't think anybody would have said "Oh, it'll be Aku for sure!"

Couldn't be prouder of the bloke...

This doesn't make a lot of sense. He was a nuffy in under-19s, yet in 2006 (aged 18) he was the star of the Knights Flegg side? A 100kg bloke who ran the 100m in under 11 seconds? How old was he in your under-19s team, 12?

biff malibu

Juniors
I think I have told this story before but here goes again. When I was a kid I had a family member who played for the Dragons. We used to go up to Kograh every game and sit with the players family (my seat was right behind Roy masters who was coaching at the time). Anyway he used to take me into the sheds before kick off because my favourite player was Tony Trudgett and I loved soaking in the atmosphere.

After the games we would go to the St George leagues for the players preso. One time I went around and got all the players to sign my jumper, this was 1984 from memory. I approached Pat Jarvis and asked for his sig then turned my back to him so he could sign my jumper, Pat then proceeds to sign his name on my 9 year old arse. I turned around and gave him a WTF look and he started laughing. I grabbed my pen off him and sulked off thinking that was pretty weird. An interesting aside is that the jumper had around 30 sigs on it all done in blue pen. My Mum washed the jumper the next day and all the sigs washed off!

I also know 2 current NRL players very, very well and have since birth. I am sure if you put the pieces together you can figure out who. I can't speak highly enough of them, great lads before anything else even if they are buttheads.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
I've had a lot post-match at Olympic Park, had a couple at the airport, Storm training as well. One of favourites though was this year from the Warriors v Storm ANZAC Game. Friend of mine came over from NZ, the hotel she was staying at, turned out to be the same one the Warriors stayed at! The day before the game I visited the hotel and my friend, we spotted the guys through the day, saw the coaching staff, and followed some of the guys to Crown. haha. They didn't know.
After the game we decided to head back to the hotel, stayed in the lobby and some time after all the guys turned up, two of the best moments happened them. Maloney was the first one we saw, so my friends and myself asked him for photos he said he'd come back, few of the others trolled by and one of my mates wanted a pic with Mannering, but soon we had guys like Inu, Mateo, Locke and so many others wandering past, and we had one of the guys who offered to take the photo so me and another friend could be in it and as the rest of the group wandered in, he told them to jump in the photo. So good!
Then later, Maloney did come back down and he remembered what we asked and stayed and chatted for a bit, we got the photos and were on our way. Best ever :-D

Aragorn

First Grade
I've had a lot post-match at Olympic Park, had a couple at the airport, Storm training as well. One of favourites though was this year from the Warriors v Storm ANZAC Game. Friend of mine came over from NZ, the hotel she was staying at, turned out to be the same one the Warriors stayed at! The day before the game I visited the hotel and my friend, we spotted the guys through the day, saw the coaching staff, and followed some of the guys to Crown. haha. They didn't know.
After the game we decided to head back to the hotel, stayed in the lobby and some time after all the guys turned up, two of the best moments happened them. Maloney was the first one we saw, so my friends and myself asked him for photos he said he'd come back, few of the others trolled by and one of my mates wanted a pic with Mannering, but soon we had guys like Inu, Mateo, Locke and so many others wandering past, and we had one of the guys who offered to take the photo so me and another friend could be in it and as the rest of the group wandered in, he told them to jump in the photo. So good!
Then later, Maloney did come back down and he remembered what we asked and stayed and chatted for a bit, we got the photos and were on our way. Best ever :-D

show us your photos or your story isnt true.... :p

Aragorn

First Grade
I think I have told this story before but here goes again. When I was a kid I had a family member who played for the Dragons. We used to go up to Kograh every game and sit with the players family (my seat was right behind Roy masters who was coaching at the time). Anyway he used to take me into the sheds before kick off because my favourite player was Tony Trudgett and I loved soaking in the atmosphere.

After the games we would go to the St George leagues for the players preso. One time I went around and got all the players to sign my jumper, this was 1984 from memory. I approached Pat Jarvis and asked for his sig then turned my back to him so he could sign my jumper, Pat then proceeds to sign his name on my 9 year old arse. I turned around and gave him a WTF look and he started laughing. I grabbed my pen off him and sulked off thinking that was pretty weird. An interesting aside is that the jumper had around 30 sigs on it all done in blue pen. My Mum washed the jumper the next day and all the sigs washed off!

I also know 2 current NRL players very, very well and have since birth. I am sure if you put the pieces together you can figure out who. I can't speak highly enough of them, great lads before anything else even if they are buttheads.

No clue. Ben Creagh and Darren Young?

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
LOL

James Maloney
P4250146.jpg

Lewis Brown
P4250145.jpg

Manu Vatuvei, Ukuma Ta'ai and Russell Packer
P4250144.jpg

And the group photo
579254_10150680232106254_669426253_9608146_1014186220_n.jpg