What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Aragorn

First Grade
Stood next to Willie Mason in 2004 at a KFC in bondi where he hassled some pimply teenage kid for an extra drumstrick for free.

hahaha that is gold.

I can just picture big willie doing something like that!!

gimme an extra chicken!!!

firechild

First Grade
Saw Lyon, Robertson and Joel Monaghan at the Harboard Hilton when Monas was playing for the Roosters. Saw Robbo at Warringah Mall, looked like he was bored waiting for his missus to finish shopping. Used to see players at the Steyne on occasion. Cliff Lyons is good mates with my physio (who was the Manly physio in the late 80s/early 90s and is a family friend so I used to go in the sheds after games - I had more signed stuff than you could poke a stick at) and he came in during one of my appointments for a quick word. Used to see Fatty hanging around the TAB when he lived on the Northern Beaches.

forward pass

Coach
I went camping with the family last year at Batemans Bay and Brett White was camping in the spot next to us with his missus and kids.

We shared a few beers and he was actually a nice bloke and was more than happy to talk about footy.

hrundi99

First Grade
Most recent one was going through security with my wife and kids at Kingsford Smith and Gasnier was right behind us. My 2yo son got in his way but he was cool about it.

DC_fan

Coach
A few years back I was standing next to Mark Geyer. Wanted to say hello. But thought he may deck me if I did.

LOL @ extra drumstick.

Re: Mini....I remember someone on here (or rleague) back in like 2003-2004 saying they had aquired Mini's cell phone number from some chick he knew and proceeded to call Mini. Apparnetly Mini went on to have a 10-15 minute conversation with the guy, talking about the recent ANZAC test and was very friendly.

I know many young women had Mini's number back in those days.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Worked with Ben Hannant and Sam Perrett there as well for a year before they played first grade. Hannant is a funny bugger.

What was Hannant like to work with? When I was still in primary school my mum would organise an art exhibition to raise school funds. The Hannant clan also went to my school, and I knew Ben's older brother Sam pretty well. I remember Ben coming along to the exhibition (I was stuck there and bored out of my brains) with his family and asking my mum if he could help out. Mum put him on chip duty in the kitchen, and he did not move from that fryer for about 6 hours I reckon. He was a machine, and didn't even ask for anything in return, although Mum gave him a free bucket of chips (that I was pretty dirty about at the time as all I got was a ham sandwich from home).

I remember seeing Mason at Shooters in Surfers Paradise one night blasted out of his mind barely able to lean up against one of the barrels they used as tables.

I had a quick chat to Carl Webb at Fisho's on the Gold Coast the weekend after he owned Luke Bailey in State of Origin 2005 I think. Everyone in the place wanted to buy him a drink that night.

I don't think I've ever seen Gilly anywhere NOT tanked out of his brain. The guy must have a ten pound liver.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I saw Jarryd Hayne at Westfield in Parramatta once and asked him if he thought Schillaci could beat Red Rum over 8000m,he said that only the great Josh Dugan could beat Red Rum over 8000m

Doga

Juniors
Steve Mortimer came into my work once - around the time he was Dogs CEO. Saw him, ran to my desk and grabbed by little Bulldogs soft football. He signed it for me had a nice chat. Very nice bloke.

Bumped into a few players back in 2004 in Brighton. It was during the Euro 2004 final - Greece Vs Portugal and a few players came down to watch it on the big screens. It was pretty packed - 10-20,000 filled the streets. Anyway, from memory the players that were there was Jamal Lolesi, Roy Asotasi, Luke Patten, Braith Anasta, Nigel Vagana and a couple more South Sydney Boys. They were all in good spirits, playing a drinking games amongst themselves, posing for photos, having a laugh with the fans. Roy and Jamal were being taught Greek swear words and they were happy to repeat them.

Met Danny Buderus 03-04 at a clovelly pub. Came across arrogant.

4-6 years back I used to go out in the cross quite a bit. used to be the usual suspects all the time - Willie Mason, Willie Tonga, Reni Maitua, Mark Gasnier. The less said about what these clowns used to get up to the better. They were lucky that the nightclub owners did the best to cater to their needs (open a kitchen which was closed at that time where they could go in for some private time).

For quite a few years i have been attending The Bulldogs Golf days, sometimes Season Launch or end of season awards. By far the nicest person in Rugby League was Michael Hodgson. A great bloke all round. Great for a laugh. Very genuine. Hazem El Masri is one of the funniest blokes you'll meet. He is a bit of a clown.

Met Phil Gould at my work once. He was attending a function. seemed nice enough. Glad to have a chat.

Seen many other players out and about, no real interaction though.

Doga

Juniors
oh forgot. Was near wynyard in that asian food court off hunter st on my lunch break. Saw Benny Elias. Said G'day. nice guy.

00digger00

Juniors
The oldes live out at Leyburn and you see big Webby out there every now and then. Top bloke and loves to chat about the broncos with everyone in his pub.

Merdy33

Juniors
I could imagine Fitler being a nice person in real-life. Yeah he gets bagged out for being a space cadet, etc, but he never says a bad word about anyone/has a hidden agenda, unlike some of the other tools on TV. He's always smiling and having a laugh, doesn't take things too seriously.

He is.
My wife and I were at Rosehill races when he was still playing. He was with a mate at a bucks party and came to one of the upstairs bars to get away from the drunks downstairs. The only spare seats were at our table and he asked if they could sit there for a while. We knew instantly who he was, but didn’t make a big deal of it. I think he appreciated that. They ended up sitting with us all afternoon, shouting a few rounds, having lots of bets and being unfailingly friendly to anyone who came up asking for an autograph. By the end of the afternoon we arms around each other telling each other what good blokes we were.
Never seen him since (apart from on TV), but it was a terrific afternoon.

snickers007

Juniors
Met Benji one night in a kebab store at Pyrmont. Was about 3 in the morning - I was maggot drunk and dressed as a ninja turtle. Anyway, Benji was being harassed by some dude who was trying to get Benji to admit that 'Cayless is a dog'. Benji wanted nothing to do with it. While Benji waited for his kebab I shook his hand and told him 'I'll shout your kebab if you sign with Penrith. Schubert doesn't need to know'. His response was 'Sorry bro - wrong colour cat'. Nice guy.

Also ran into Paul Dunn at the SFS before the Bunnies first match back in the comp. Was with a mate who is from Bathurst, so we tried to get his attention by yelling 'We're from Bathurst'. He didn't want to know us.

Shared a Tube with Paul Harrigan on a ride at White Water World on the Gold Coast. He was with his young son, waiting at the top (needed a group of 4 to ride). He saw me, and said 'You're a big guy - I'll take you'. We got pretty good speed up, and a good laugh. After the ride I shook his hand and then after he turned away I gave him the 'That's Gold' sign behind his back.

Had a beer with Bill Peden at Fanny's in Newcastle a year or so after he retired. We were waiting in line, next thing you know Peden and Mitchell Sargeant cut the line, and went straight in. We finally got in, and I saw Bill at the bar. Introduced myself. Half hour later we were both dancing on a railing - thinking we were hot stuff. I got kicked out - Peden didn't.

Finally, I was talking to Todd Carney at the Palace the night that he got busted for drinking instead of visiting his grandma. When I was there, he was drinking water, and was sober as (about 1am). My mate (from the Paul Dunn story) tried to pick him for wearing a pink shirt. Carney wanted nothing to do with. I woke up the next morning with a killer hangover, reading in the paper that Carney had tore Coogee apart. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
He is.
My wife and I were at Rosehill races when he was still playing. He was with a mate at a bucks party and came to one of the upstairs bars to get away from the drunks downstairs. The only spare seats were at our table and he asked if they could sit there for a while. We knew instantly who he was, but didn’t make a big deal of it. I think he appreciated that. They ended up sitting with us all afternoon, shouting a few rounds, having lots of bets and being unfailingly friendly to anyone who came up asking for an autograph. By the end of the afternoon we arms around each other telling each other what good blokes we were.
Never seen him since (apart from on TV), but it was a terrific afternoon.

That's a cool story mate and thanks for sharing. We hear about the bad stuff players do all the time, but never this stuff. He gave you an afternoon you'll never forget in your life. Good stuff.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
Met quite a lot of the Dragons players whether at Fan days or around the area or back in the day at Carss Park pool doing their rehab. All have been fairly good but the stand-out good guy has to be Nathan Blacklock - he had the time for everyone - particularly kids. Wendell also is a top guy and great ambassador for the Dragons.
I still remember going to a charity match years ago at Kogarah Oval where legends of St George played the USA Tomahawks. Mundine played (post walking out), but I remember when the game finished he was swamped by as many females as the 1 Direction group.

Wife met Gallen a couple of weeks ago and got a picture with him. He apparently was an extremely nice guy and was giving a talk to a small group of staff.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Saw the great Bull Bailey ripping in at the shopping centre in Shellharbour years ago, was a top bloke. Met & (tried to) interview Wayne Bennett in mid 09' when he did a speaking function, got a sneaky photo with him as well.
Not a footy player, but also saw Chris Gayle at Sydney airport Subway during the Big Bash-he was deadset the most hungover-looking human I've seen in my life. Still cool as f**k!