What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE NRL DON'T FOLLOW US BRITS WITH THIS.

Maximus

Coach
Again that is a big leap.

But in that same comparison. IF there is an accident in a mine. Is that ALWAYS the employers fault?

That is what is at play here. Is the NRL or sporting body to blame for all CTE and head injuries

There is a reason that CTE occurs at a significantly higher rate in athletes than the general public.

Chimp

Bench
There is a reason that CTE occurs at a significantly higher rate in athletes than the general public.
I wasn’t aware this had been categorically proven - I didn’t think there’d been wide enough studies of ‘non-athletes’. And if there has, and I’ve missed it, of those ‘non-athletes’, do we know their history? Did they play amateur sport, did they choose people who’d only lived a ‘clean’ lifestyle…. There’s so many variables…..

Iamback

Coach

Correct but sports are doing what they can to minimise the risk.

A truck driver is more likely to have a road accident than someone that works in an office.

Those who drive trucks know this yet take the risk and if they follow the laws it lessens the risk.

That is how it is with this issue. It is a job that comes with risks but also other factors are at play

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wasn’t aware this had been categorically proven - I didn’t think there’d been wide enough studies of ‘non-athletes’. And if there has, and I’ve missed it, of those ‘non-athletes’, do we know their history? Did they play amateur sport, did they choose people who’d only lived a ‘clean’ lifestyle…. There’s so many variables…..
The first general pop study was done in USA and published 2019. It showed that 9% of 300 contact sport athlete's brains sampled had CTE compared to 3% of gen pop who werent athletes. so 3 times the risk if you play contact sports. Highest incidence was in US football players that played beyond high school age (13 times higher than gen population). (sample size 300 athletes- 450 non athletes brains)

Iamback

Coach

NFL is a perfect example. The PED's those guys take from High School has an affect. Throw in the family history the 'general public' have and so on.

That is the grey in this subject

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct but sports are doing what they can to minimise the risk.

A truck driver is more likely to have a road accident than someone that works in an office.

Those who drive trucks know this yet take the risk and if they follow the laws it lessens the risk.

That is how it is with this issue. It is a job that comes with risks but also other factors are at play
But like the truck driver has a reasonable expectation on his employer to minimise risk by giving him a safe truck to drive and not making him drive silly hours in one go, so does an athlete.
Hence why contact sports are scrambling around finding ways to minimise risk.

There are two factors
1. Minimising risk to employees - a legal issue
2. Addressing public perception that playing RL will give you dementia - a participation issue

Wb1234

Immortal
The biggest issue that needs to be addressed for retired players is depression

they get treated like rock stars and have a team environment then once they retire it’s hard to adapt back into a normal life

the number of players that have or have tried to commit suicide is alarming

the nrl is getting the best legal advice it can re cte and it’s been at the front of leading change

the issue with nfl was helmet on helmet collision

union would have problems with contested scrums and mauls and rucks

Danish

Referee
So you believe that people in the mining industry shouldn't have OH&S protections? They take the risk and get paid a shitload, so if they get injured that's their own fault.

that’s literally how mining works now.

the OH&S protects them as far as it can while still allowing mining to take place. Mining is certainly a far more dangerous profession than professional rugby league in 2023

King hit

Coach
If this comes in, genuinely think I’ll just give up on the sport.

I have absolutely no idea how these pseudo intellectual idiots keep demanding more and more changes under the guise of apparent imminent legal doom when combat sports exist. If boxing can survive as a sport then league can too.
Here’s the thing no matter how much concessions you make, no matter how many problematic elements get removed it will never be enough. They will keep demanding more and will never stop. You can’t give them one inch.

Maximus

Coach
NFL is a perfect example. The PED's those guys take from High School has an affect. Throw in the family history the 'general public' have and so on.

That is the grey in this subject

You really should contact the NFL. They'll pay you billions for this expertise. The people who actually study it know nothing compared to you.

Iamback

Coach
You really should contact the NFL. They'll pay you billions for this expertise. The people who actually study it know nothing compared to you.

Well after being sued what changes have they made to the sport?

IF Sport was entirely to blame their legal team and doctors would of made changes

Dragonwest

Juniors
How far do we need to go at this stage?

We've made huge progress with removing the head hunting thuggery (prior to the mid 90s), we've eliminated repeat concussions on game day and added compulsory stand down periods for recovery. There is great research into creatine supporting brain recovery and neck strength being a vital factor.

I don't think extreme decisions need to be made based on injuries sustained in the 70s to 00s. The current players are in a totally different environment already.

Munky

Coach

If anyone is worried about truck driver safety over the years here is a referenced document.

More government follow up on the industry and health impacts

It was a strange industry to bring up since alot of time and effort was put into making it safer for truck drivers and other vehicles on the road.

Some money is going to be thrown at contact sport participation and health outcomes soon. I don't think any code would like the outcomes.

Iamback

Coach
If anyone is worried about truck driver safety over the years here is a referenced document.

More government follow up on the industry and health impacts

It was a strange industry to bring up since alot of time and effort was put into making it safer for truck drivers and other vehicles on the road.

Some money is going to be thrown at contact sport participation and health outcomes soon. I don't think any code would like the outcomes.

How do you think the NRL came up with the 11 day stand down rule?

The independent doctor?

And so on.

Money and time are being put into these sports. It isn't the same game it was even 10 years ago

Perth Red

Post Whore

IF Sport was entirely to blame their legal team and doctors would of made changes
What? The sport has changed massively from back in the day when I played. Qtrbacks and kickers are protected species, no helmet led tackling or blocking, redesigned helmets, significant concussion testing and protocols have been introduced. All in all NFL has changed 50 rules to reduce concussion risk!

Chins get the wins

First Grade
What? The sport has changed massively from back in the day when I played. Qtrbacks and kickers are protected species, no helmet led tackling or blocking, redesigned helmets, significant concussion testing and protocols have been introduced. All in all NFL has changed 50 rules to reduce concussion risk!
You never played anything but with your dick sweetheart

Iamback

Coach

The Carolina Panther QB was sacked 4 times today.... such a protected species

Concussion protocols aren't rule changes though nor is improving equipment. Most sports have them doesn't reduce the risk just gets issues found quicker

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Carolina Panther QB was sacked 4 times today.... such a protected species

Concussion protocols aren't rule changes though. Most sports have them doesn't reduce the risk just gets issues found quicker
Please, compared to the snot bubblers Qtr backs used to get they are wrapped in cotton wool these days.

There's been massive rule changes around tackling and whats allowed in the NFL. Alongside other rule changes protecting kickers/punters and qtr backs and even centres during Fg/extra point attempts. Changed running starts at kick offs to reduce impact speeds and so it goes on.

Besides you asked:

Alongside 50 odd rule changes they've also changed equipment and protocols/treatment

Last edited: