What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

If you did a cost benefit analysis on the proposal you would probably never agree to it, however it would be fantastic for the RL mad followers up in Port Moresby. I don't believe security would be a problem for the players as they would be treated like gods.

However, perhaps a team in the Qld Cup first may be the way to go.

Sir Biffo

Bench
If you did a cost benefit analysis on the proposal you would probably never agree to it, however it would be fantastic for the RL mad followers up in Port Moresby. I don't believe security would be a problem for the players as they would be treated like gods.

However, perhaps a team in the Qld Cup first may be the way to go.

Didn't they have a side for a while already and it folded?

saint-colesy

Juniors
Not that i can re-call. Giving them a side in the QLD Cup, can do no harm. Will be great for the international game.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I see the usual amount of negative comments by the Sydney-only brigade! Look, RL was expanded into Australia by the Brits, now it;s Australia's turn to do something!

Terry-Randal

Juniors
Best idea ive ever heard this could save league. With a whole country backing the pn team it will be feasable and make the nrl look international. Nrl should act immediately before papuans become upset and go to union.

The Gambler

Juniors
I think it's a great idea and I'm all for it.

It would be a matter of establishing themselves, winning games with the players they can get their hands on - then Australians will be prepared to move to PNG and play for them.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
It's not only the stadium that's the problem.

Where are they going to get their administration tools? Where are they going to get quality accomodation for away teams etc etc.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The best way to have expansion is use the second tier competitions. Have the teams prove themselves and demote clubs that are no longer viable.

reptar

Juniors
The security situation in PNG, in particular Port Moresby, has been decreasing substantially since independance. Most foreign nationals live in fortress like gated communities.

It'd be great if PNG could have a side, but this is a matter of decades rather than years before it is feasible.

Exactly. I don't disagree with PNG having a team because of any Sydney-centric or selfish view-point, I just can't see how it could work in the current security situation in Port Moresby. I speak about this having a family member working there and having visited the place myself just two weeks ago. Crime is opportunistic in Port Moresby, rather than organised (although there is an increase in organised crime too) and I don't think it would matter that "they (the players) would be treated like gods". I'm sure on the whole they would be, but as you said - foreign nationals live in gated fortresses with security guards and surrounded by razor wire. Outside the compounds you don't get out of the car unless you know what you're doing. In certain places, you don't even stop the car, even if you've had an accident or killed someone.

They _are_ rugby league mad, and I was lucky enough to be there on Grand Final day and was even pleased to see lots of kids wearing Raiders jumpers (albeit the cheap ripoffs from Brian Bell, but you can't buy the real thing there) and I'd love for them to have their own team, but as you say I can't see it happening within the next decade unless something drastically changes.

dimitri

First Grade
I don't think Putting a PNG side in the QLD Cup will have anywhere near the effect of putting them in the nrl!

People are saying PNG is not ready etc etc

But once they have a side in the NRL they should be able to draw huge sponsorship deals and corporate support which will help their country, facilities etc immensely!

This is one reason why the PNG PM is so keen on the idea.

I think the NRL should do their very best to get a PNG side in the comp - and then try and get our Government to put heaps of cash towards it - which will benefit everyone!

reptar

Juniors
I don't think Putting a PNG side in the QLD Cup will have anywhere near the effect of putting them in the nrl!

People are saying PNG is not ready etc etc

But once they have a side in the NRL they should be able to draw huge sponsorship deals and corporate support which will help their country, facilities etc immensely!

This is one reason why the PNG PM is so keen on the idea.

I think the NRL should do their very best to get a PNG side in the comp - and then try and get our Government to put heaps of cash towards it - which will benefit everyone!

I admire your optimism, and I wish it could happen, but I just can't see how it can now.

Our Government already give PNG over A$1m a day.

dimitri

First Grade
I admire your optimism, and I wish it could happen, but I just can't see how it can now.

Our Government already give PNG over A$1m a day.

The way it will have to happen is with the support of the Private Sector.
Any companies with a social conscience or with a reason to promote goods etc in PNG would be a great start!

Cranky Sod

Juniors
I can not see a PNG side in the NRL it would cost to much but i would like to see more PNG players in first grade sides down the track so they can make their test team stronger.

Simo

First Grade

It would be a matter of establishing themselves, winning games with the players they can get their hands on - then Australians will be prepared to move to PNG and play for them.

I dont see why everyone is so fussed about getting Aussies to play for them. In my opinion a PNG side should be full of PNG players and not rely on AUssies to make up there side like many POmmy teams.

We want PNG to grow and produce players, not have another side for Aussies to retire to.

butchmcdick

Post Whore

bullsh*t !

Have you ever been there ?

Latest posts