What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Titanic

First Grade
The Port Moresby Coca-Cola Vipers played in the Qld Cup for 2 years at the height of the SL war without the support of the PNGRFL who had gone to SL. They won all their homes in 1996 and just missed the semis in 1997 - then the QRL refused any support once the "war" was over. Mind you, the Vipers paid their own way and the support the QRL gave was to the Qld teams only - typically lousy deal from Livermore if you ask me.

If its players you want to debate, then why look at Oz and Kiwi anyway? PNG will lack size but how about Samoa/Tonga/Fiji players going over to join the PNG local comp? Former Kumul prop Iosefa Falaniko, for one, did that from Samoa in the 8o's when PNG was at its strongest.

EMTV during the Vipers time had its own Footy Show, every match "home and away" broadcast live from Moresby or delayed from Qld. Why? Because they are a part of the Nine Network. Sure this won't happen next year and maybe never but if it did it would add another dimension to the NRL already wallowing in Sydney-itis.

Somare is grandstanding but why not? Perhaps that's what RL needs - some grandstanding to counteract the political speak of Gallop and Co.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
I think the NRL should entertain the idea. Thing is, will it generate more sponsorship and TV revenue, enough to cover the massive cost? Had Winfield still been in the picture im sure we would be there already. Would fox make any money out of selling TV into the place? Can the PNG government build a good stadium and protect it?

Id prefer to another side in NZ first, then Perth and Adelaide but PNG will be in this comp at some stage, its just a matter of time really.

brendothejet

First Grade
The Port Moresby Coca-Cola Vipers played in the Qld Cup for 2 years at the height of the SL war without the support of the PNGRFL who had gone to SL. They won all their homes in 1996 and just missed the semis in 1997 - then the QRL refused any support once the "war" was over. Mind you, the Vipers paid their own way and the support the QRL gave was to the Qld teams only - typically lousy deal from Livermore if you ask me.

If its players you want to debate, then why look at Oz and Kiwi anyway? PNG will lack size but how about Samoa/Tonga/Fiji players going over to join the PNG local comp? Former Kumul prop Iosefa Falaniko, for one, did that from Samoa in the 8o's when PNG was at its strongest.

EMTV during the Vipers time had its own Footy Show, every match "home and away" broadcast live from Moresby or delayed from Qld. Why? Because they are a part of the Nine Network. Sure this won't happen next year and maybe never but if it did it would add another dimension to the NRL already wallowing in Sydney-itis.

Somare is grandstanding but why not? Perhaps that's what RL needs - some grandstanding to counteract the political speak of Gallop and Co.

you were going so well until sydney-itis.

How, in a thread about PNG can sydney still be a problem???

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe they could have a special interchange dispensation. Say 20 a half?

In all seriousness, developing their own comp, getting a Q'land cup team, working on partnerships to get PNG players playing in SL and NRL and getting more regular games for the Kumuls is a far more feasible outcome.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Maybe they could have a special interchange dispensation. Say 20 a half?

In all seriousness, developing their own comp, getting a Q'land cup team, working on partnerships to get PNG players playing in SL and NRL and getting more regular games for the Kumuls is a far more feasible outcome.

They should be a genuine source of NRL players, but discipline is a problem across the board.

Perth Red

Post Whore
More to do with lack of training systems, quality coaching set ups, training facilities, full time training staus etc more than some strangely perceived genetic temprement!

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
More to do with lack of training systems, quality coaching set ups, training facilities, full time training staus etc more than some strangely perceived genetic temprement!

I'm not having a crack at them. Those guys are berko for league and enormously talented at it. Their culture clashes with ours for them to ever be successful in league. I am talking in the same way that many aborigines struggle in league, despite being talented, because of cultural clashes.

brendothejet

First Grade
I'm not having a crack at them. Those guys are berko for league and enormously talented at it. Their culture clashes with ours for them to ever be successful in league. I am talking in the same way that many aborigines struggle in league, despite being talented, because of cultural clashes.

god you are a muppet.

aborigines struggle in league....

Mate you struggle with reality.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
god you are a muppet.

aborigines struggle in league....

Mate you struggle with reality.

I mean emotionally, not talent wise. In that regard they are magic. I'm not having a crack at aborigines.

For those in the know, aboriginal Australians (approx 2 %) are considered an underpriviliged section of Australian society. They have extremely large extended families (revolving around what they call kinship). They have traditionally struggled with being separated from remote communities to play league. Also, aborigines are poorly educated with respect to the rest of Australian society. A part of "White Australian" education is conditioning their kiddies during education to turn up, be on time etc. Due to cultural differences and the education gap, this is less strongly advocated in Aboriginal communities.

This requires an essay, but, as it stands, establishing a NT team aboriginal NT team would be doomed to failure, for cultural reasons, not one of talent. Mind you, they would be short on props.

brendothejet

First Grade
I mean emotionally, not talent wise. In that regard they are magic. I'm not having a crack at aborigines.

For those in the know, aboriginal Australians (approx 2 %) are considered an underpriviliged section of Australian society. They have extremely large extended families (revolving around what they call kinship). They have traditionally struggled with being separated from remote communities to play league. Also, aborigines are poorly educated with respect to the rest of Australian society. A part of "White Australian" education is conditioning their kiddies during education to turn up, be on time etc. Due to cultural differences and the education gap, this is less strongly advocated in Aboriginal communities.

This requires an essay, but, as it stands, establishing a NT team aboriginal NT team would be doomed to failure, for cultural reasons, not one of talent. Mind you, they would be short on props.

well, you are having a crack at aborigines actually.

Now how is it that there can be indigenous players litttering the NRL and AFL when supposedly they struggle being away from their families?

Simple. It doesn't matter what colour you are you don't get to 1st grade without being exceptionally talented, and without a lot of hard work and commitment. Any of the indigenous players in major sporting teams have all these, just the same as English, Irish, Welsh or Chinese people do.

TO say that they struggle being away from their families...who the hell doesn't??? I know that if i was playing football in melbourne i would miss my family and friends in Sydney. Again, they are no different to the rest of us.

STC you talk utter crap every time you type. Why do you continue?

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
well, you are having a crack at aborigines actually.

Now how is it that there can be indigenous players litttering the NRL and AFL when supposedly they struggle being away from their families?

Simple. It doesn't matter what colour you are you don't get to 1st grade without being exceptionally talented, and without a lot of hard work and commitment. Any of the indigenous players in major sporting teams have all these, just the same as English, Irish, Welsh or Chinese people do.

TO say that they struggle being away from their families...who the hell doesn't??? I know that if i was playing football in melbourne i would miss my family and friends in Sydney. Again, they are no different to the rest of us.

STC you talk utter crap every time you type. Why do you continue?

Is that so? . When I was at UNSW I was forced to study aboriginal kinship and aboriginal studies as part of my undergrad engineering. It was most interesting, run entirely by aboriginals, and quite an eye opener.

It is very touchy feelie of you to point out that aboriginals and "the same" as everyone else. Physiologically yes, but cultural differences hold them back in many facets of White Australia.

I assume you are also denying that aboriginals are not underprivileged and don't live 20+ years less than we do.

joshreading

Staff member
I have said this in the past, I think they should ultimately be let in. HOWEVER.

Base the training and administration in Sydney or SQ. Thus players do not live in PNG. Such would also give them a secondary base to draw support from. There are some HUGE corporates in PNG. I am sure many would love to get involved. Safety and quality stadium is an issue though and would need to be addressed.

BUT...any opportunity that is put on our plate needs to be considered on its merits and potential, and whilst PNG has hurdles the potential of a whole nation embracing an NRL side with fervour like never seen before, the massive player pool and the present economic growth of PNG needs to be considered.

macavity

Referee
QLD cup can happen fairly quickly - so why don't they go there asap, and work on the rest...

Would love to see it happening, but can't see it in the immediate future. Would need to be some sort of Joint Venture team.

I do love the part about PNG Government funding the team! That would read something like:

Aus Gov $ -> PNG -> NRL.

Still, probably better than what my tax dollars get spent on at the moment over there.

On a side note, I would hate to be the referee that made a crap call which cost the PNG side a win. They would need to send a full battalion of Marine's in to get the poor bastard out alive imo.

Parra

Referee
All PNG need is around 700,000 foxtel subscribers and then I am sure it would be considered.

Latest posts