What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I dont see why everyone is so fussed about getting Aussies to play for them. In my opinion a PNG side should be full of PNG players and not rely on AUssies to make up there side like many POmmy teams.

We want PNG to grow and produce players, not have another side for Aussies to retire to.

Cause that has really worked for the warriors

macavity

Referee
Professor Holmes of the University of Newcastle Centre for Business Innovation Research and Development made it clear in his study that the cost of building the stadium could be recouped in as little as 1.4 years, or in a maximum of 2.75 years. Between 1988 and 1998 the Newcastle Knights generated spending of some $52.4 million and stimulated some $104.8 million in regional spending.
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20030528028

Sporting teams put a lot of money back into the community - they generate a lot of money. Any govt. would kill for a 2-1 return on funding to the community - they should all fund RL teams... ;-)

with PNG, it would be a hell of a lot of Aussie (and Kiwi) dollars coming into the country. new ground, new training facilities, new hotels, tourism etc etc - means local jobs.

they have some problems, but they deserve our support on this.

dimitri

First Grade
sporting Teams Put A Lot Of Money Back Into The Community - They Generate A Lot Of Money. Any Govt. Would Kill For A 2-1 Return On Funding To The Community - They Should All Fund Rl Teams... ;-)

With Png, It Would Be A Hell Of A Lot Of Aussie (and Kiwi) Dollars Coming Into The Country. New Ground, New Training Facilities, New Hotels, Tourism Etc Etc - Means Local Jobs.

They Have Some Problems, But They Deserve Our Support On This.

Agree Completely!

dimitri

First Grade
I think they would want only one or 2 marquee players - with a whole bunch of locals!

The crowds will love this

God-King Dean

Immortal
HIV would be an issue as well.

It wouldn't happen for yonks... but I'm hapy to se they are keen. They love their footy.

roopy

Referee
There are a few things - like every player in the NRL and Toyota cup will need a passport and the immunisation needed to travel to a third world country.

This would pay for itself for PNG in tourism alone.
At the moment they have a pretty small tourism industry, but a few thousand NRL fans every second week would mean a hell of a boost and better facilities for them would mean better facilities all year round.

If the PNG government put in 15 million a year, they would get it all back with interest just in tourism - but they wouldn't have to put in 15 million because TV dollars, sponsership and gate reciepts would cover most of it.
All they would have to do is build a national stadium, and they need one anyway.

Simo

First Grade
There are a few things - like every player in the NRL and Toyota cup will need a passport and the immunisation needed to travel to a third world country.

At the moment they have a pretty small tourism industry, but a few thousand NRL fans every second week would mean a hell of a boost and better facilities for them would mean better facilities all year round.

If the PNG government put in 15 million a year, they would get it all back with interest just in tourism - but they wouldn't have to put in 15 million because TV dollars, sponsership and gate reciepts would cover most of it.
All they would have to do is build a national stadium, and they need one anyway.

I have no idea of PNG finances but does the gov have the money to just build a staduim? Do they have 15 mil? Does the giv even exist, I thought there was a type of takeover or soemthing recently.

Also, would TV sponsorship pay much for this? What type of spending market would the advertisers pay for over there??

Not meaning to sound negative cause I like the idea but anyone with nowledge of PNG what is the logistics of these things?

macavity

Referee
why not Fiji - better beaches... ;-)

think about it - Fiji would definately be THE away trip every year...

reptar

Juniors

They need a LOT of things before they need a "national stadium". Hospitals, schools, roads, etc...

A lot of the problems in Port Moresby stem from the fact that your tribe comes first, and province second and then you might have some time for your country later. Port Moresby is a melting point were people from many tribes come together, and it's not always a good thing. Actually, usually it's NOT a good thing.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If PNG can't sustain their own side full-time, how about the idea of perhaps entering a cmbined Northern Territory-PNG team?

The team can be based in Darwin. Because Darwin is in Australia it will solve the problem of Australian players not wanting to sign for the team and live in PNG. The team can play half their games in Darwin and half their games in Port Moresby. The home games split can be 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, or whatever. The team would only fly to PNG a few times a year for home games and training in Port Moresby leading up to their PNG home games. The team's PNG players would be based in Darwin but they would have the luxury of not only experiencing Australia but will fly home to PNG several times a year anyway.

RL and AFL in Darwin is neck-and-neck with I think RL marginally ahead in polularity. Adding this team in the NRL with the added fanatical support of PNG will screw AFL over up north for good.

Kill 2 birds with the one stone and expand to NT and PNG with the one team. Darwin/NT is way too small to have a team full-time and whilst PNG has the population, junior base and fanatical supporters but too many social and economic problems to have a team ful-time and will be very difficult to sign Aussies to play there.

Combining the two might just work. Maybe a name for teh team coule be the 'Northern Tropics'?

How long is a flight from Darwin to Port Moresby?

Bluebags1908.

flamin

Juniors
If PNG can't sustain their own side full-time, how about the idea of perhaps entering a cmbined Northern Territory-PNG team?

The team can be based in Darwin. Because Darwin is in Australia it will solve the problem of Australian players not wanting to sign for the team and live in PNG. The team can play half their games in Darwin and half their games in Port Moresby. The home games split can be 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, or whatever. The team would only fly to PNG a few times a year for home games and training in Port Moresby leading up to their PNG home games. The team's PNG players would be based in Darwin but they would have the luxury of not only experiencing Australia but will fly home to PNG several times a year anyway.

RL and AFL in Darwin is neck-and-neck with I think RL marginally ahead in polularity. Adding this team in the NRL with the added fanatical support of PNG will screw AFL over up north for good.

Kill 2 birds with the one stone and expand to NT and PNG with the one team. Darwin/NT is way too small to have a team full-time and whilst PNG has the population, junior base and fanatical supporters but too many social and economic problems to have a team ful-time and will be very difficult to sign Aussies to play there.

Combining the two might just work. Maybe a name for teh team coule be the 'Northern Tropics'?

How long is a flight from Darwin to Port Moresby?

Bluebags1908.
Except you'd need to build 2 stadiums instead of 1 as neither has a first-class stadium. I know people bring up Leichardt and Brookie but those are existing grounds which have been used for decades. The NRL will want top stadiums for any new teams.

Its never going to happen!

There is no money in PNG (anything their govt put in would basically be Australian aid funds, and I can't see our government being too happy about our money being wasted on football teams ahead of things like health, education, non-corrupt government operations etc), no corporates to sponsor a team, potential spectators would not be able to afford tickets or merchandise, the security situation is too unstable, the TV audience is of minimal if any value (who wants to spend money advertising to an audience that is largely not too far above subsistence living). I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons it won't work.

brendothejet

First Grade
It wont work as a commercial entity, but as a charitable cause it would be up there as one of the greatest.

My brother not long got back from working for some schools in PNG and Bougaineville and they are footy mad. Every photo there are kids in jerseys and shirts. They are desperate for anything footy up there.

A team based in townsville but playing their matches in PNG could work, or based in Darwin to give the NRL a presence there could help.

Loudstrat

Coach
I see the usual amount of negative comments by the Sydney-only brigade! Look, RL was expanded into Australia by the Brits, now it;s Australia's turn to do something!

f**k you are thick! The poms had NOTHING to do with introducing league in Australia, except get excited that the groundswell of hatred toward Union toffs in Sydney and Auckland found a solution in their rule book.

And balming the conceerns about PNG's abysmal economic situation and security on Sydney only bias is laughable.

When will you morons get it into your thick heads that Sydney clubs have always been the driving force behind mationalisation of the game. Just because Perth was too stupid to realise that the ARL gave it life, and the Traitors the Reds joined (non Sydney) killed it.

Get your lobotomy reversed. Quick.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
why not Fiji - better beaches... ;-)

think about it - Fiji would definately be THE away trip every year...

Not sure about Fiji, but I just got back from Samoa and they actually do have a near-NRL standard stadium (15k capacity) already. Can't see too many away sides complaining about having to go there for the weekend, although the heat would kill them in winter!

otori

Juniors
It could work... I used to live in Madang and know the fervour that any PNG local has towards RL. The local "country club" which was the pub was packed out on grand final night and they only had like 5 small tellys in the place. While security might not be up to scratch as such, you're making Moresby sound like Mogadishu which it definitely is not. Besides if the players were 95% locals then it wouldn't be a huge issue anyways.

PNG people won't rob/threaten players if they know what they're doing and bringing in the community. People that respect and put back into the community are rarely in too much trouble if they act with commonsense. My neighbour was the local supermarket owner and had never been robbed or burgled in 25 years because if he was, that tribe would be refused service.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I have no idea of PNG finances but does the gov have the money to just build a staduim? Do they have 15 mil? Does the giv even exist, I thought there was a type of takeover or soemthing recently.

Also, would TV sponsorship pay much for this? What type of spending market would the advertisers pay for over there??

Not meaning to sound negative cause I like the idea but anyone with nowledge of PNG what is the logistics of these things?

Nah it's a quite stable democracy, unfortunately it's stably corrupt and f**ked.

Gov would have $15mill but seriously there's more important things to spend it on.

PNG has two TV stations, neither of which would have the funds to add significantly to the NRL's TV deal.

In-goal

Bench
We all realise that PNG is the 3rd world don't we?

It is a nation that is still sinking both socialy and economicley. I would love to see a club their but it isn't going to happen.

Latest posts