What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Canard

Immortal
NQ have had quite a few PNG boys play in there lower grades over the years, most just haven't graduated to the top grade.

They currently have two boys with PNG backgrounds and eligibitily in their side Ray Thompson and James Segayaro.

This visa thing only seems to get mentioned on this website, I can't fathom it, as the Cairns and District RL have had NUMEROUS Kumuls play in its competition over the years. I would count conservatively 50 have played in the last 20 years.

Even at CDRL level Kumuls players were "good" but not "great" so NRL would have been a big step for them.

Also for the 150th time PNG has had a side in the QRL state league, they just went broke however.

mikail-eagle

Bench
www.postcourier.com.pg/20110720/sport05.htm - Cached
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...qIjyCQ&usg=AFQjCNEX1qrivpF0agjdp9sk_BzLKWKGBg

Broncos to host PNG Day

The PNG NRL BID and the NRMA Insurance Brisbane Broncos yesterday announced the Broncos Friday night clash against the Cronulla Sharks, on Friday July 29 at Suncorp Stadium, will be promoted as PNG Day.
PNG BID CEO Brad Tassell and chairman and Sports Minister Philemon Embel were in Brisbane last weekend to discuss the day and finalise details for the match. Both attended the Broncos-Titans match on Friday night and met with Broncos players after the game.
A night of celebration has been planned for the round 21 event with the Broncos players wearing specially-produced socks bearing the PNG national colours. The socks will be autographed by each player after the match and presented to the PNG NRL BID team.
A ‘Once in a Lifetime’ limited number of specially-designed corporate packages for the match have also been released. The packages provide return airfares for two from Port Moresby to Brisbane, three nights’ accommodation at the Urban Hotel and corporate suite seating at the game, which includes food and beverages.
Also included in the package is a special buffet dinner at Broncos Leagues Club on Thursday night, a meet-and-greet with players on Thursday morning plus a full tour of the Broncos facility and a barbecue lunch, Broncos merchandise, game-day dressing room and on-field tour plus a meeting with the coaching staff for a pre- game preview and discussion.
Broncos CEO Paul White and Broncos legend Shane Webcke will also visit the game-day suite and the evening will culminate with guests mingling with Broncos players at the official post-match function.
A two-for-one ticket offer will also be made available to PNG Nationals attending the game, with the Sing Sing Tribe featuring Honlly Isaac, Sentanya Haoda and Henry George performing the NRL BID song and traditional songs.
Broncos CEO Paul White said the Broncos were also looking forward to the special event.
“I know how fanatically passionate the PNG people are about their rugby league and we hope to have a big PNG contingent cheering on our boys,” he said.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Also for the 150th time PNG has had a side in the QRL state league, they just went broke however.

there where a couple of othe reasons, my friends dad was mates iwth kevin langer when he was in innisfail and he said a lot of players especially from brisbane werent to keen to travel there and play

mikail-eagle

Bench
This is the region where Markus Bai hails from....Also Adrian Lam, David Westley, Ray Thompson's heritage is traced back to this region.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/21333
PNG NRL Bid tour to NGI ends

Source:
The National - Friday, July 22nd, 2011

By ABIGAIL APINA
THE New Guinea Islands leg of the Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Bid and PNGRFL national school programme ended a three-day development camp yesterday at Kokopo primary school grounds with the presentation of certificates to 75 students.
The workshop was jointly facilitated by PNG NRL and PNGRFL through the PNGRFL NGI development office in Kokopo.
Ten U16 students, who attended the Port Moresby Tops camp last week facilitated by the national development manager Shane Morris and members of the NGI development team, facilitated the Kokopo camp.
The 75 students, 25 players each in the U12, U14 and U16 divisions have been selected from the competition in Kokopo district as they have met playing requirements and were qualified for the development camp.
NRL Bid development camp coordinator Alois ToBata said the schoolboy competition coordinators and committee in NGI had a very good programme in place and the Bid and the PNGRFL were excitedly facilitated their programme through funding.
Tents and drinks for the camp were supplied by the PNG NRL Bid co-sponsor NGI Coca-Cola Amatil, through its Kokopo office.
Ela Motors PNG Ltd presented the NGI vehicle to the PNG NRL Bid yesterday.
“Provision of the vehicle will enable development officers to better deliver the programme and is an important aspect,” ToBata said.
He thanked Ela Motors for its support towards the National All Schools Programme.
“It is pleasing to see NGI take the initiative and hold their own regional development camp. We will be pushing for other zones to follow NGI’s lead,” he said.

mikail-eagle

Bench
http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20110726/sport04.htm

Bid gives to Bugandi

THE PNGNRL Bid Lae office yesterday began its first phase of rugby league sport equipment donation to schools in the city.
Schools in the Lae District have been advised by the Lae office that rugby league donation would be coming from the PNGNRL Bid under its schools development program this week.
PNGNRL Bid Lae office chairman Moses Akua said what the bid team was emphasizing was the development of the code of rugby league in schools throughout the country. The first phase of distribution began at the Bugandi Secondary School yesterday morning with the donation of five rugby league balls, a whistle, two touch flags and five markers.
The sporting equipment were received by Bugandi Secondary School Principal Albert Sabok who thanked the Bid office for recognising the potential and opportunity for students to developing their sporting talents.
He added that with such sponsorship the students were given a sense of confidence to participate in sporting activities such as rugby league.
Sabok said the school would also allow its facilities to be used by the body for any sporting purposes in the province.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Don't know if the socks this does any good for them but the last bit of the article is good news...

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8277983

Broncos fly PNG expansion flag

Friday night's NRL clash at Suncorp Stadium will have a distinct Papua New Guinea flavour as part of Brisbane's sponsorship of PNG's 2015 expansion bid team.
Brisbane have tagged the clash with Cronulla "PNG Day", swapping their regular playing socks to wear PNG's national black, red and yellow colours to highlight their support for the bid to get a team in the NRL.
With a record six successive State of Origin series wins, record crowds and record TV ratings, Queensland lacks nothing in rugby league passion.
But in terms of league fanaticism, PNG may have the state covered.
With the appointment last week of a new commission, expansion is set to become one of rugby league's hot issues and PNG believe they can put together an appealing argument for 2015.
They point to an extremely high player participation rate in the only country in the world which can boast rugby league is truly its national sport.
"People up here play the game anytime and anywhere they can - on footy ovals, patches of grass, even dirt," said PNG NRL bid chief executive Brad Tassell.
"On the night of Origin I this year, nine giant TV screens were erected around Port Moresby and we estimate just on 100,000 people watched the game - a quarter of the city's population, the atmosphere was incredible."
As part of their sponsorship, Brisbane will offer PNG nationals living in south-east Queensland a special ticket price for the game, while the PNG Sing Sing tribe will perform on field prior to kick-off.
The Broncos currently display the bid team's logo on their playing shorts.
Some of the bid team members who'll attend the game believe a recently-inked agreement between them and PNG Sports Minister Philemon Embel can only enhance the country's expansion hopes.
"This partnership will deliver strong game development outcomes and ensure that we can learn from a great club like the Broncos how to build a successful rugby league culture and business model," Embel said.
"Our investment in this partnership is about providing assistance to advance rugby league in PNG. It will also lay the foundations around building a strong PNG bid brand and create the awareness we need as we move towards establishing ourselves as a highly-competitive franchise bid."
Tassell believes PNG will offer one of the strongest bids in 2015, a year NRL chief executive David Gallop has indicated is a more likely time for expansion than 2013.
"We are well on our way to achieving this and by then we will have a stadium in place, a long sustainable business model and strong revenue streams," said the former Roosters NRL player.
"We are also currently building a national development program which will help push our case for inclusion in the NRL competition."

#article_gallery{display:block;float:left}

Perth Red

Post Whore
as part of Brisbane's sponsorship of PNG's 2015 expansion bid team.

Nice spin! Didn't the PNG PAY Brisbane $300k for the partnership/sponsorship?

cornerposter

Juniors
as part of Brisbane's sponsorship of PNG's 2015 expansion bid team.

Nice spin! Didn't the PNG PAY Brisbane $300k for the partnership/sponsorship?
**newsflash** NRMA pay for sponsorship rights as well :shock: that's generally the way it works...

Canard

Immortal
CP

What the PNG Bid "spin" is trying to imply using your anecdote, is that the Broncos are sponsoring the NRMA! Not the other way around.

cornerposter

Juniors
CP

What the PNG Bid "spin" is trying to imply using your anecdote, is that the Broncos are sponsoring the NRMA! Not the other way around.
It's hardly spin. Most of what we're hearing from the PNG team is the usual corporate partnership wank you'll hear from any sponsor.

beave

Coach
it's poor wording in the original article,it sounds like the Broncos are paying the PNG bid so the Broncos can wear the bid logo.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Fielding a QLD Cup side in 2013 is a step in the right direction..

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20110802/sport02.htm

Bid and Broncos are still partners

AT no stage has the Brisbane Broncos discussed or requested ending the sponsorship deal with the PNG NRL Bid.
This was the point blank message made in response to media reports in The Australian newspaper on Friday and a copy of which was run in the other paper yesterday.
PNG NRL Bid CEO Brad Tassell said the report contained inaccuracies and assumptions, which certainly were not the views expressed by either the PNG NRL Bid, nor the Brisbane Broncos management to the Australian newspaper.
“In fact the CEO of the Broncos Paul White contacted me personally on Friday morning expressing his disappointment at the story which appeared in the Australian newspaper, stating to me that this was not the views of the Broncos towards the PNG NRL Bid and they are committed to supporting the Bid and rugby league in PNG for the long term, which was what was relayed to the Australian newspaper by Paul White,” he said.
“The National newspaper in PNG subsequently picked up the story and ran it in their publication on Monday August 1,without any consultation or approach to myself as the CEO of the PNG NRL Bid as to the accuracy of the story,” he said. He said The National had run a story which lacked truth and accuracy.
The Bid CEO said the PNG NRL Bid has a two year sponsorship with the Brisbane Broncos for the 2011 and 2012 seasons which has a comprehensive junior development program in place. Tassell said the statements by Bombers bid director Craig Davison regarding the value of the sponsorship did not have any based and were totally incorrect and denied by the Broncos and the PNG NRL BID.
“The sponsorship was undertaken prior to the announcement of a second Brisbane team, to promote our cause to the Australian public through who we believe are the most professional and respected rugby league club, if not, sporting club in Australia in the Brisbane Broncos.
“It was not to derail another Bid, however obviously this has hit a raw nerve with Mr. Davidson, whom we would encourage to look after his own backyard and not worry about ours.
“In closing I would like to point out that we the PNG NRL BID are under no illusions – we understand and realise that we have to undertake several steps to prove we deserve an NRL licence. We have developed a long term business plan to achieve this which includes a national junior development program, working closely with the PNGRFL to ensure the game locally and internationally is strong, fielding Queensland Cup senior and junior teams in 2013, merchandise and membership program and commercial arrangements to ensure the long term sustainability of the PNG NRL Bid.”
He said the PNG NRL Bid was building up a strong case for inclusion into the NRL.

Kiki

First Grade
i am so conflicted about this bid. on one hand it's great to see PNG getting publicity and the more people knowing about their passion for footy, the better it is.

but it all feels a bit fake. it's easy to design a cool graphic and do some fun publicity stuff with the Broncos etc. but i dont think anyone who has been to Port Moresby could seriously believe an NRL team is in anyway possible unless sweeping social changes take place and that can't be an over night thing.

i don't question the passion of the people involved in the bid. i know when i came back i wanted to do anything and everything to help PNG, but i just don't know whether this is the right thng.

as far as the players not measuring up to our boys, they aren't professionals. they all work jobs etc. and they didn't even have a physio to do their strapping for the 2010 PMs XIII match. this is their NATIONAL team!! in the biggest match of the year.

they are strong though. but their lack of proper training shows in the second half. you can't run on passion alone.

the lack of resources breaks my heart :(

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is a heck of a lot of work to do for them in all areas. I think they should have the vision of one day joining the NRL but have a 10 year strategy that gets them there with some key milestones and achievements along the way. I hope the IC with the support of the RLIF put some serious money PNG's way. They are our best hope of having another competitive Int team in the future. The RFL are helping the French RL develop and we should be doing teh same for PNGRL. In some ways calling what they are doing "bid" is a self fulfilling failure as there is no way a bid for an NRL team si going to be succesful. they would be better calling what they are doing something else and saving the bid for when they are a realistic hope.

Perth Tiger

Bench
but it all feels a bit fake. it's easy to design a cool graphic and do some fun publicity stuff with the Broncos etc. but i dont think anyone who has been to Port Moresby could seriously believe an NRL team is in anyway possible unless sweeping social changes take place and that can't be an over night thing.

But what if an NRL team can be the catalyst for that change. I'm not saying that that is the case, but that is what the Bid team is arguing so they have recognised that point. It is just up to the new IC to decided whether they believe that or not

The PNG government believe it is one part of the puzzle.

And with an NRL structure the PNG bid is putting in place they will produce players of NRL quality.

They just need the IC to have a more open mind than most RL fans.

Eels Dude

Coach
But what if an NRL team can be the catalyst for that change. I'm not saying that that is the case, but that is what the Bid team is arguing so they have recognised that point. It is just up to the new IC to decided whether they believe that or not

It probably would help. But the NRL shouldn't be bowing down and accepting them solely for that reason. The NRL is a professional sporting competition not a charity.