What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Canard

Immortal
Like I said. RL will always be held back by ignorant, narrow-minded fools who can't see beyond the end of their noses and understand that there is a world outside their own expereince. It is they who have their head up their arse.

The Cricket World Cup and Commonwealth Games were just held in India and the soccer World Cup and Olympic Games are going tobe in Brazil in the coming years. These are much bigger sports but are taking their events to countries with poverty and social problems. So why can't RL do the same? Because RL people are so insular they can't even fathom the idea that there is a world outside NSW and Queensland and they can't believe that a non-western Anglo-European culture could achieve such things. If this game is ever going to even go close to realising its potential this head up the arse attitude has to change. Sadly I can't see it happening.

??? Brazil and India are the world's 7th and 10th largest economies in the world, whilst they almost certainly have incredible poverty issues they are not the same scenario, with both countries having major world class facilities, transport links etc. and world class athletes already in place.

You are also talking about one off events as opposed to a long term economic commitment to running a team in a multi-million dollar per year competition.

Should maybe the first step be the holding of a Four Nations competition etc. there?

Last edited:
The point is, the naysayers reckon a country should not be ALLOWED to be involved in professional sport when it has poverty and social problems. The "fix your problems" brigade don't seem to realise that sports much bigger and more successful than RL have no problem taking their game/s to countries with poverty and social problems. They also don't seem to care that there are people in Australia who live in third world conditions and suffer social problems. They're not calling for an end to professional sport here until they are fixed. It's just hypocracy and the kind of narrow-minded bullshit that has held RL back for over 100 years.

Eels Dude

Coach
Like I said. RL will always be held back by ignorant, narrow-minded fools who can't see beyond the end of their noses and understand that there is a world outside their own expereince. It is they who have their head up their arse.

The Cricket World Cup and Commonwealth Games were just held in India and the soccer World Cup and Olympic Games are going tobe in Brazil in the coming years. These are much bigger sports but are taking their events to countries with poverty and social problems. So why can't RL do the same? Because RL people are so insular they can't even fathom the idea that there is a world outside NSW and Queensland and they can't believe that a non-western Anglo-European culture could achieve such things. If this game is ever going to even go close to realising its potential this head up the arse attitude has to change. Sadly I can't see it happening.

You're comparing the ICC taking the Cricket World Cup to India who are the biggest powerbroker in world cricket to the NRL taking games to PNG? The only thing crazier than that is comparing it to the IOC taking the Olympics to Brazil which happens to be the world's fifth largest country,has a population of a couple of hundred million people, is an economic powerhouse, and also has a proven success in international sporting history.

Well done. That doesn't even make sense.

It makes perfect sense to anyone that is level headed.

Eels Dude

Coach
The point is, the naysayers reckon a country should not be ALLOWED to be involved in professional sport when it has poverty and social problems. The "fix your problems" brigade don't seem to realise that sports much bigger and more successful than RL have no problem taking their game/s to countries with poverty and social problems. They also don't seem to care that there are people in Australia who live in third world conditions and suffer social problems. They're not calling for an end to professional sport here until they are fixed. It's just hypocracy and the kind of narrow-minded bullshit that has held RL back for over 100 years.

In case you didn't realise there's a match called the PM's XIII which is taken there every year. One game a year for them is enough. Nobody is stopping PNG from setting up their own professional rugby league competition.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Put a team in the Queensland cup

Sell the TV rights to png tv company

This money pays for flights from qld to png

Problem solved

BDGS

Bench
I'm not going to go over old ground.

All I can say is that other sports take major professional sporting events and teams to poor countries all the time but the ignorant, narrow minded folk who infest RL will probably never let it happen with PNG. Which is exactly why the sport is so insignificant.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The typical no answers, everyone is ignorant post we have come to expect from East Coast Tiger.

BDGS

Bench
Like I said. RL will always be held back by ignorant, narrow-minded fools who can't see beyond the end of their noses and understand that there is a world outside their own expereince.

And some university student who hasn't been there knows better?

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Australia's governing body for rugby league, the ARL, says it'll continue to support Papua New Guinea's most popular sport, even though it's unlikely to expand its competition to include a PNG team, any time soon.

Last week on Pacific Beat we reported the PNG government wasn't going to cancel a bid to join the top rugby league competition in Australia - the NRL.

But the team behind the bid had been asked to examine whether or not it was likely to succeed.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/pacbeat/stories/201108/s3305002.htm

juro

Bench
Just because PNG were able to make it to the final of the AFL international tournament doesn't necessarily mean they have a strong interest in AFL. It just means that they are strong relative to other countries... which isn't saying much.

I would guess that cricket would be the second strongest sport in PNG, with their national team on the rise, having qualified to take place in the finals stages of qualification for the next world cup in Australia in 2015.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Just because PNG were able to make it to the final of the AFL international tournament doesn't necessarily mean they have a strong interest in AFL. It just means that they are strong relative to other countries... which isn't saying much.

I would guess that cricket would be the second strongest sport in PNG, with their national team on the rise, having qualified to take place in the finals stages of qualification for the next world cup in Australia in 2015.

I think you would be correct, surely Soccer will have large junior numbers up there too. Not sure about quality though, Definitely Cricket will be their second best.

Billythekid

First Grade

I'd say the AFL have bugger all players in PNG. Winning an international comp in AFL means nothing.

mikail-eagle

Bench
PNG did not only make it to the AFL International Cup Final but they were also the reigning champions from the previous tournament in 2008. AFL is definately growing up here with huge participation especially in the junior ranks.

There is also an AFL acedemy in Port Moresby where young talented players from the provinces are brought in not just for the footy but also to further their education.

And sixty percent of the young PNG players that took part in this tournament are already either playing in lower leagues around Australia or are on scholarships with AFL clubs.

hutch

First Grade
is there any news confirming that png will have a team in the qld cup next year?

Dogs Of War

Coach
And sixty percent of the young PNG players that took part in this tournament are already either playing in lower leagues around Australia or are on scholarships with AFL clubs.

See this is the one area that the NRL needs to assist with. A huge market for our sport, with plenty of talent, we just need to assist with pathways to the NRL for them.

I believe there should be incentives given to every club that invests in area's like PNG, Pacific Islands and regions like N.T., S.A. & W.A.

Or at the very least, start a program where each club takes on board one PNG player and puts them in their system preferably into their u-20 squads.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I believe there should be incentives given to every club that invests in area's like PNG, Pacific Islands and regions like N.T., S.A. & W.A.

Or at the very least, start a program where each club takes on board one PNG player and puts them in their system preferably into their u-20 squads.

You would think, even if they aren't that successful, that when they went back to PNG, they would improve the standard, and the next generation that came through would come through at a much higher level. Worth the risk really, not to mention that it would be a quick way to add a 4th Nation who could be fairly competitive at an international level.

You would think, even if they aren't that successful, that when they went back to PNG, they would improve the standard, and the next generation that came through would come through at a much higher level. Worth the risk really, not to mention that it would be a quick way to add a 4th Nation who could be fairly competitive at an international level.

Plus what's one player out of a squad of 25-30? It can be done. Maybe we can have a draft system purely for young players coming from regions like PNG, Pacific Is., NT, WA & SA? Draft wouldn't work with the current system we have or local juniors but for juniors coming from the mentioned regions it could be gold.