What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG bid for NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
with the hundreds of mill aid going in there maybe they could slip the NRL a few mill to admit them if it deemed that it would be such a change agent. Otherwise it really doesn't add much $ value to the NRL having PNG in and as said they are not a welfare charity.

Eels Dude

Coach
They will add more value than Perth in all likeligood. And most other clubs too.

Yeah how so? They're not going to add anything to any television deal when their average wage is only a couple of a grand per annum. And please don't go on with this "it's all in the bid" crap if you're going to bother answering.

nqcowboy87

Bench
Low_bc81c1347ee24e4.jpg

Kiki

First Grade
But what if an NRL team can be the catalyst for that change. I'm not saying that that is the case, but that is what the Bid team is arguing so they have recognised that point. It is just up to the new IC to decided whether they believe that or not

how exactly would that work though? would an NRL team eradicate ingrained corruption? would an NRL team stop the country being raped by foreign mining companies? would an NRL team stop the spread of AIDS?

i don't mean to sound negative, i just think there needs to be real solutions for a country that is third world in every sense of the world. giving them a team and making it look pretty from the outside isn't gonna do much.

Perth Tiger

Bench
how exactly would that work though? would an NRL team eradicate ingrained corruption? would an NRL team stop the country being raped by foreign mining companies? would an NRL team stop the spread of AIDS?

i don't mean to sound negative, i just think there needs to be real solutions for a country that is third world in every sense of the world. giving them a team and making it look pretty from the outside isn't gonna do much.

You would have to ask the bid team or PNG Government because I don't know the answer to that but I would imagine they plan to use the NRL team and particularly the players as an educational vehicle to raise awareness about some of the social issues present

nqcowboy87

Bench

if you polish a turd you dont get diamonds, you get a shiny piece of crap

dont take this the wrong way, i love the country and have deep connections to it and would love nothing more than to see things improve over there but this is not the way

Kiki

First Grade
You would have to ask the bid team or PNG Government because I don't know the answer to that but I would imagine they plan to use the NRL team and particularly the players as an educational vehicle to raise awareness about some of the social issues present

i understand that but i don't think people understand the depth of the problems over there. i'm talking about kids dying from malaria and going hungry and not being able to get clean water. over half the population is illiterate for godsakes!!!!

if we are going to pour money into the country it should be into fixing the basic things, not giving them an NRL team.

and trust me, i love this country so much. my trip there changed my whole life. i just don't think people get how bad it is there :(

Perth Tiger

Bench
i understand that but i don't think people understand the depth of the problems over there. i'm talking about kids dying from malaria and going hungry and not being able to get clean water. over half the population is illiterate for godsakes!!!!

if we are going to pour money into the country it should be into fixing the basic things, not giving them an NRL team.

and trust me, i love this country so much. my trip there changed my whole life. i just don't think people get how bad it is there :(

Believe me I understand the problems over there. All I am saying is that is the angle the PNG bid team and the PNG Government are using and if they convince the new IC when they make the decision then they have a bloody good chance of getting in, if not then they have no chance

I'm not going to go over old ground.

All I can say is that other sports take major professional sporting events and teams to poor countries all the time but the ignorant, narrow minded folk who infest RL will probably never let it happen with PNG. Which is exactly why the sport is so insignificant.

beave

Coach
Keep your head in your ass champ, I'm sure the view is better there than what the rest of us in reality land are exposed to................

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm not going to go over old ground.

All I can say is that other sports take major professional sporting events and teams to poor countries all the time but the ignorant, narrow minded folk who infest RL will probably never let it happen with PNG. Which is exactly why the sport is so insignificant.

So it's ignorant for Australian owned and run sporting competition want to play their games in Australia instead of third world countries. Just when your posts on the subject couldn't get any stupider you bring up this pearler.

Like I said. RL will always be held back by ignorant, narrow-minded fools who can't see beyond the end of their noses and understand that there is a world outside their own expereince. It is they who have their head up their arse.

The Cricket World Cup and Commonwealth Games were just held in India and the soccer World Cup and Olympic Games are going tobe in Brazil in the coming years. These are much bigger sports but are taking their events to countries with poverty and social problems. So why can't RL do the same? Because RL people are so insular they can't even fathom the idea that there is a world outside NSW and Queensland and they can't believe that a non-western Anglo-European culture could achieve such things. If this game is ever going to even go close to realising its potential this head up the arse attitude has to change. Sadly I can't see it happening.

So it's ignorant for Australian owned and run sporting competition want to play their games in Australia instead of third world countries. Just when your posts on the subject couldn't get any stupider you bring up this pearler.
Well done. That doesn't even make sense.