What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Kumuls v PMXIII

mikail-eagle

Bench
Was an awesome game.

The second half especially when PNG actualy had an even share of possession and field position.

Best for PNG was reserve Prop Enoch Maki. Bent the line every time and he put RCG on his bums with his final run seconds before the final hooter went.

TheFrog

Coach
Beattie has 11k+ followers and the stream he did from his phone averaged 200-300 throughout the afternoon.

If that's indicative of the interest in such a game I can understand why it wasn't worth broadcasting.
I didn't know it was being streamed. Maybe they'd have got more if it had been publicised.

siv

First Grade
It wasnt planned a last minute suggestion via twitter to the chairman

He found so easy to do - he just kept going

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to based off what you quoted.

Sure it may not be financially viable for Fox but nobody can assume that because Peter Beattie's last minute twitter stream only got 200 viewers, it was lucky to get that many for what it was in my opinion.
My opinion isn't based solely on the 200-300 viewers average on his stream. I just think it's a fair indication that it's not currently financially viable for the match to be broadcast because interest in Australia for the game is far lower than it is in PNG.
I didn't know it was being streamed. Maybe they'd have got more if it had been publicised.
It wasn't "being streamed" and it wasn't 'publicised' either - Beattie did it off his own bat after confirming they couldn't reach a broadcast arrangement otherwise.

Either way I don't think there's huge demand for this match in Australia so it stands to reason it wasn't broadcast. I hope it changes next year and if Beattie's talk yesterday is to be believed it might, but if it remains off air next year I can understand why.

Timmah

Staff member
According to Michael Carrayanis (Tele), Beattie was attempting to get the PNG host broadcaster to allow their broadcast to be streamed right up until an hour prior to kickoff but they wouldn't budge

LINK

deluded pom?

Coach
Question. Was there any official Test status sanctioned for this game? Some people on TRL are claiming PNG gave it Test status unilaterally.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Only thing I have found is 2 articles from PNG newspapers. Nothing at all from the RLIF so I would say it wasn't given test status.

PNGRFL Chairman made an announcement I think on Wednesday that the match had reverted back to just a normal PMXIII match instead of a full Test.

Anyway PNG only named a squad of 18 players and only used those players while Australia named a squad of 20 players and rotated all of them during the match.

Don't know why PNG didn't call in an xtra 2 players.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There is no reason why this shouldn't be a full test from now on. Australia could have played PNG, New Zealand and then Tonga this year. If it was the full Kangaroos team playing then maybe the broadcasters will take it a little more seriously.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
PNGRFL Chairman made an announcement I think on Wednesday that the match had reverted back to just a normal PMXIII match instead of a full Test.

Anyway PNG only named a squad of 18 players and only used those players while Australia named a squad of 20 players and rotated all of them during the match.

Don't know why PNG didn't call in an xtra 2 players.

This shouldn't be allowed to happen 13 plus 4 reserves, they are the rules, coaches should not be allowed to do as they please.

thorson1987

Coach
This shouldn't be allowed to happen 13 plus 4 reserves, they are the rules, coaches should not be allowed to do as they please.

This game has always been played with extra reserves. It is a friendly game, not a sanctioned test match. The same happens in warm up games before tournaments.

Springs09

Juniors

They are the rules for official competition first grade matches, they are not the rules for all rugby league just because. Trials, warm-ups, knockouts and friendlies often use more reserves and unlimited changes.

jim_57

Staff member
They are the rules for official competition first grade matches, they are not the rules for all rugby league just because. Trials, warm-ups, knockouts and friendlies often use more reserves and unlimited changes.

The teams should at least agree on a number of reserves though in my opinion, even if it is a friendly.

latingringo101

Juniors
It looks like PNG treated this as a full sanctioned international match and the Kangaroos as a friendly. Not trying to take away from the matches and day but it'd be nice if both teams went into the game with 100% same attitude.

Also great result for the U16s and great to see the women's team touring up there as well

Springs09

Juniors
Well PNG used 18 players so they couldn't have treated it like a test. Even if they did they were silly to as the PMXIII isn't nor ever should be a test side.

Timmah

Staff member
For the record there were over 4000 views according to Twitter
I was watching it live and it never topped 300 at any time. There might be 4000 views post-event and people watching it back, but it was never watched by more than 300 live at the time.
Question. Was there any official Test status sanctioned for this game? Some people on TRL are claiming PNG gave it Test status unilaterally.
No. It was two Prime Minister XIII teams and was continually referred to as such.

Latest posts