What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Kumuls v PMXIII

Burns

First Grade
There is a pitch invasion

Game has been stopped

Australia had just scored their 4th try

Farce

jim_57

Staff member
What's up with PNG? Their side didn't look too bad, certainly not 60points+ worse than Aus which is the way it's heading.

Burns

First Grade
Now 24-0 just before half time.

PNG have had one single set in Australia 20m area, and have looked disorganised in attack. Thousand errors as well.

Well backwards from the Pacific Test against Fiji, and the World Cup last year.

isaiah

Bench
Should still be a competitive game. It is up to PNG now to beat this team then the Aussies might start to take this game a little more serious.
Gulf between best of the nrl and players around the fringe of some clubs

siv

First Grade
And to think the ARLC Chairman ran a live feed of the womens match and mens pmxiii matches all from his seat in the grandstand. When NRL Media and Fox couldnt get a broadcast organised.

Outstanding

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Beattie has 11k+ followers and the stream he did from his phone averaged 200-300 throughout the afternoon.

If that's indicative of the interest in such a game I can understand why it wasn't worth broadcasting.

jim_57

Staff member
Beattie has 11k+ followers and the stream he did from his phone averaged 200-300 throughout the afternoon.

If that's indicative of the interest in such a game I can understand why it wasn't worth broadcasting.

Yeh, because everyone's first thought would be to check Peter Beattie's Twitter to watch the game. With no prior announcement and a quality phone from the grandstand broadcast to put the cherry on top.

Burns

First Grade

That is lousy conclusion. Did you see the quality? Who besides the most hardcore of fans would watch potatoe quality footage on a Twitter account?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That is lousy conclusion. Did you see the quality? Who besides the most hardcore of fans would watch potatoe quality footage on a Twitter account?
It's not a lousy conclusion - for several reasons.

1. The quality was actually fine for the whole first half and the first 15 of the second. It only deteriorated later in the match.

2. Re-frame your question - who besides the most hardcore of fans would watch this match in Australia? Bearing in mind that only a fraction of the population have Foxtel, and not all of them are interested in rugby league.

I'm not saying I don't think it should've been broadcast but I can see the metrics on this from a business standpoint and I can see it'd be fairly pointless to spend the money required to broadcast this match properly from Fox's perspective (or Nine's for that matter). The viewer base wouldn't be significant at all.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Not surprised re: quality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PNG mobile broadband probably isn't what it might be in big city Australia.

jim_57

Staff member
It's not a lousy conclusion - for several reasons.

1. The quality was actually fine for the whole first half and the first 15 of the second. It only deteriorated later in the match.

2. Re-frame your question - who besides the most hardcore of fans would watch this match in Australia? Bearing in mind that only a fraction of the population have Foxtel, and not all of them are interested in rugby league.

I'm not saying I don't think it should've been broadcast but I can see the metrics on this from a business standpoint and I can see it'd be fairly pointless to spend the money required to broadcast this match properly from Fox's perspective (or Nine's for that matter). The viewer base wouldn't be significant at all.

It's a ridiculous conclusion to jump to based off what you quoted.

Sure it may not be financially viable for Fox but nobody can assume that because Peter Beattie's last minute twitter stream only got 200 viewers, it was lucky to get that many for what it was in my opinion.

Latest posts