What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Kumuls v PMXIII

Walter sobchak

First Grade
I'm thinking a comfortable win for the PMXIII over the Kumuls around 30-12.
Bit frustrating that given PNG's domestic comp and proximity to Oz when you compare to NZ, PNG should be close to Tier 1 by now..
Exactly. I’ve been banging on about this for a few years now in that there doesn’t seem to be a sense or urgency within the game regarding the fast tracking of PNG into a tier 1 international RL playing nation. I mean PNG has a lot going for them and are good to go imo.

1st off not only is RL the #1 sport in PNG it’s particularly a Religion and in some cases replaced tribal warfare. It’s also got a decent sized population of nearly 9 million which is fast growing every year which is nearly twice the size of NZ and look how many professional kiwi RL players are produced for the leagues in Australia, UK and France. It’s also got a development pathway in place for its athletes in the form of the digicel domestic competition and the professional hunters in the Queensland cup.

There needs to be a 5-10 year development plan put in place for PNG in terms of both domestic RL and international RL. Domestically the hunters need to be fielding u18’s&u20’s teams in the Queensland cup and there needs to be a 2nd PNG franchise in Lae also with u18’s&u20’s sides. Internationally the kumuls need to be playing both Australia and NZ annually as well as hosting the touring England and France teams not to mention the Pacific tests against Samoa, Tonga and Fiji.

jim_57

Staff member
PNG Schoolboys/Under 18's touring and playing NRL linked junior sides and Australian Schoolboys would probably help. Ideally Hunters would run juniors as well if affordable.

I remember Fiji did something similar last year, played Canberra and Canberra signed 4 or so of them from memory. If NRL scouts aren't looking hard at PNG then take the best from PNG and put them right in front of them.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
PNG Schoolboys/Under 18's touring and playing NRL linked junior sides and Australian Schoolboys would probably help. Ideally Hunters would run juniors as well if affordable.

I remember Fiji did something similar last year, played Canberra and Canberra signed 4 or so of them from memory. If NRL scouts aren't looking hard at PNG then take the best from PNG and put them right in front of them.
I also remember reading about the Fijian schoolboys playing Canberra and the raiders signing a few of the boys up. When you think about it with Fiji it’s a fantastic idea because you’d imagine that the 15,16 and 17 year old Fijian schoolboys won’t be aligned with any professional union clubs from say NZ or Australia like unlike union schoolboys from said countries. You could pick up some real gems. Plus it gives you 4-5 years to coach them in league structures and style.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Is it on any TV ?

Will be live throughout PNG on Digicels TV WAN. Not sure about overseas.

But I do remember the last 3-4 Hunters games this year were streamed out of the PNG Kumuls Facebook page.

Not sure if it will be done for this match.

mikail-eagle

Bench
So there will be 3 matches played as part of the PMXIII program on Saturday.

1. PNG U16 Vs NSW U16
2. PNG Orchids Vs Aus Jilaroos
3. PNG PMXIII Vs Aus PMXIII

kdalymc

Bench
So there will be 3 matches played as part of the PMXIII program on Saturday.

1. PNG U16 Vs NSW U16
2. PNG Orchids Vs Aus Jilaroos
3. PNG PMXIII Vs Aus PMXIII
Jillaroos or PM13? I ask because on Twitter 6FE5E340-1FB9-4181-9887-F0EFE1587FB9.jpeg is it not the same Aussie team? Unsure how you would qualify as they have no final series unless it’s just like an Australia A or something?

Burns

First Grade
It's not all about making money. It's about increasing the depth of international league.
I know, I know.

But expecting PNG to become a ‘Tier 1’ by merit that they have team in the QLD Cup, own national comp shouldn’t cause angst. If anything, they are the model ‘Tier 2’ nation.

It’s frustrating this week seeing the Fairfax/Newscorp journalists, and all the NRL Media talking about great the scenes are with the reception by PNG. If that’s the case, why can’t the games be televesised or streamed?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Re: TV coverage, isn't this exactly what Fox League should be doing in the offseason? I know it's cheaper to run replays of NRL matches but surely they can get a local crew to film and play the feed on Fox League. If they really want to cut costs they can commentate from a TV screen in a studio in Australia.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Re: TV coverage, isn't this exactly what Fox League should be doing in the offseason? I know it's cheaper to run replays of NRL matches but surely they can get a local crew to film and play the feed on Fox League. If they really want to cut costs they can commentate from a TV screen in a studio in Australia.

Exactly, we saw the Samoa v Fiji game last year from Samoa, but for some reason these f...wits won't show the PNG v Australia PM's game, it's a bloody joke.

Latest posts