What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

You mock? How much do you think it would cost to build a national hiway system for an entire country full of mountains??
I'd say: billions, possibly a trillion.
Actually think.
It won't be cheap. Infrastructure building projects like this are incredibly expensive, but necessary for the country to advance beyond its current state.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Olam urges caution over NRL's PNG expansion plan​

Justin Olam has cast doubt over plans to base a potential Papua New Guinea side in Queensland, urging NRL bosses that a team will only survive if it has boots on the ground in the Pacific nation.

Expansion to Australia's closest neighbours is a hot topic after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese hosted PNG counterpart James Marape in Canberra earlier this week.

ARL commission chairman Peter V'landys said last year that placing a side in PNG was "top of the list" for expansion.

Logistical plans discussed thus far on PNG's introduction as the NRL's 18th team have centred on the side basing themselves in Cairns and flying into Port Moresby for matches.

But Wests Tigers centre Olam has urged caution, warning its legitimacy as a team for the league-mad nation will be called into question.

"Unless they're based in Port Moresby then it's an Aussie team that's going to have the label of PNG," Olam told AAP.

"I don't think it's good, I want a PNG team based in PNG for PNG players.

"For us to have that, we need to invest in our junior competition and build our pathways first because (NRL) is a big jump."

The 30-year-old is likely to be the first target if and when the NRL expansion side gets up which, according to speculation, could be as soon as 2027.

Olam remains the only player to have come through the PNG Hunters pathway and go on to play in the NRL.

The Hunters were introduced to the second-tier Queensland Cup but have struggled to make an impact in recent seasons.

"The Hunters are in the Q Cup but they're not dominating every year or winning premierships," Olam said.

"I think we need to invest in the grassroots, that's what my decision would be but I'm not in power.

"My opinion is, if they're based in PNG they'll spend money, do clinics and develop the game, people would come and watch and that would generate the economy."

Olam said he was a prime example of why a PNG team needed to work from the bottom up, citing the fact that he only got recognised because he left his village for the city of Lae to study for his degree in applied physics.

final say

Juniors

Justin Olam has cast doubt over plans to base a potential Papua New Guinea side in Queensland, urging NRL bosses that a team will only survive if it has boots on the ground in the Pacific nation.

Expansion to Australia's closest neighbours is a hot topic after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese hosted PNG counterpart James Marape in Canberra earlier this week.

ARL commission chairman Peter V'landys said last year that placing a side in PNG was "top of the list" for expansion.

Logistical plans discussed thus far on PNG's introduction as the NRL's 18th team have centred on the side basing themselves in Cairns and flying into Port Moresby for matches.

But Wests Tigers centre Olam has urged caution, warning its legitimacy as a team for the league-mad nation will be called into question.

"Unless they're based in Port Moresby then it's an Aussie team that's going to have the label of PNG," Olam told AAP.

"For us to have that, we need to invest in our junior competition and build our pathways first because (NRL) is a big jump."

The 30-year-old is likely to be the first target if and when the NRL expansion side gets up which, according to speculation, could be as soon as 2027.

Olam remains the only player to have come through the PNG Hunters pathway and go on to play in the NRL.

The Hunters were introduced to the second-tier Queensland Cup but have struggled to make an impact in recent seasons.

"The Hunters are in the Q Cup but they're not dominating every year or winning premierships," Olam said.

"I think we need to invest in the grassroots, that's what my decision would be but I'm not in power.

"My opinion is, if they're based in PNG they'll spend money, do clinics and develop the game, people would come and watch and that would generate the economy."

Olam said he was a prime example of why a PNG team needed to work from the bottom up, citing the fact that he only got recognised because he left his village for the city of Lae to study for his degree in applied physics.

Well said Justin

Brian potter

First Grade

At what point will the people who run our game realize that the hunters need to enter junior teams into the various Queensland youth competitions at u16&u18 levels and the Hastings derring colts u21.

final say

Juniors
At what point will the people who run our game realize that the hunters need to enter junior teams into the various Queensland youth competitions at u16&u18 levels and the Hastings derring colts u21.
The biggest point Justin made was that the Hunters aren't dominating! The Q cup is the feeder comp to NRL, if you're not dominating that.. then?

They need to be producing enough talent to pretty much ruin Q cup because they win every year!
Or every year the playing group drastically changes because they all get picked up into NRL teams.

Pathways Pathways Pathways!

Brian potter

First Grade
The biggest point Justin made was that the Hunters aren't dominating! The Q cup is the feeder comp to NRL, if you're not dominating that.. then?

They need to be producing enough talent to pretty much ruin Q cup because they win every year!
Or every year the playing group drastically changes because they all get picked up into NRL teams.

Pathways Pathways Pathways!
This.

seems to me that the hunters for the past couple of seasons have ran with a core grouping of players in their late 20’s and early 30’s whilst picking up the odd “younger“ players in their early to Mid 20’s who perform well in the digicel cup.

unfortunately at this age these players are mostly too old and extremely raw to turn into NRL standard players hence the lack of hunters players picking up NRL contracts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think everyone can see that ideally we'd spend the next ten years building grassroots and Jnr development in a meaningful way in PNG before even contemplating an NRL team. Alas that isnt whats going to happen as NRl wants the sugar hit of the Govt funds. Its setting it up to be an Australian club, based in Australia, stacked with Australian and NZ players for many years to come. Welcome to the FIFO PNG NRL team.

final say

Juniors
I think everyone can see that ideally we'd spend the next ten years building grassroots and Jnr development in a meaningful way in PNG before even contemplating an NRL team. Alas that isnt whats going to happen as NRl wants the sugar hit of the Govt funds. Its setting it up to be an Australian club, based in Australia, stacked with Australian and NZ players for many years to come. Welcome to the FIFO PNG NRL team.
Ideally our government would pay for something we could all agree with.
Not 60 million every year of tax payers money! But..

5 Million for 1 NRL game every year
5 million to prop up thier national comp
2 million to the Hunters
10 million to pathways

23 million per year could do 10 × more than an NRL team based in Cairns .

23 million for something that genuinely improves PNG and its Rugby league
Or
60 million to basically take a selfie in front of a hired Ferrari..?

Canard

Immortal
The negative press commences.

It's incredible that LU thought this wasn't going to be a political shitshow and PR disaster.

Brian potter

First Grade
Ideally our government would pay for something we could all agree with.
Not 60 million every year of tax payers money! But..

5 Million for 1 NRL game every year
5 million to prop up thier national comp
2 million to the Hunters
10 million to pathways

23 million per year could do 10 × more than an NRL team based in Cairns .

23 million for something that genuinely improves PNG and its Rugby league
Or
60 million to basically take a selfie in front of a hired Ferrari..?
I like the idea of pumping money into PNG’s domestic digicel cup competition so that every kumul sees the benefit of investment rather than just those in Port Moresby.

Canard

Immortal
I like the idea of pumping money into PNG’s domestic digicel cup competition so that every kumul sees the benefit of investment rather than just those in Port Moresby.
The reality though, is that PNG has far greater funding needs then Rugby League.

RL is about 999 on a list of 1000.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fox article today had Govt funding at $25mill a year. Hardly covers cost of admission.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has previously promised funding to PNG Prime Minister James Marape who is desperate to be granted an NRL license by 2025.
Albanese has reportedly indicated privately that his government is prepared to help underwrite a team for up to $25 million a year.

Maximus

Coach
So we are back to the original number.

Unless that's $25m just for the team, and all the grassroots and other development funding is separate, this bid is dead.

Vlad59

Bench
So any positive articles about PNG are fanciful. Any negative articles are spot on. The proposal is ridiculous. The funding is now inadequate. The bid is over. All this without a reliable source as to what is actually proposed? Well played men. Trial by speculation.

Bukowski

Juniors
At $25mill there's nothing in it for the NRL except risk. Hopefully it can go to development in PNG instead and gets it ready for a future NRL club

Brian potter

First Grade
So any positive articles about PNG are fanciful. Any negative articles are spot on. The proposal is ridiculous. The funding is now inadequate. The bid is over. All this without a reliable source as to what is actually proposed? Well played men. Trial by speculation.
It’s called having an opinion in an internet forum.

Latest posts