What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

final say

Juniors
I think thats what most on here, and people like Olam are saying. Dont pss the money away on a load of aussies living in Cairns and fifo'ing into Port Moresby a handful of days a year, build the infrastructure and pathways in PNG then have a genuine PNG club in PNG when all of that has matured. But thats not rugba leagues way, long term strategy is over rated apparently. We should have been investing in NZ for last decade along with WA and other states, but we remain short sighted.
Look at Melbourne, we put a team there trying to build it from the top down and the work is starting 30 years later.. we shouldn't do that in PNG , we should build up the pathways first! Get them producing first graders first!
Don't you think PERTH red?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well all the noise is coming out of PNG at the moment. I’d like to see Perth as the 18th club personally. Great time slot. Good for the national footprint. Massive growing economy. Solid RL tradition and money all over the place.
I think PNG would be amazing, if done right, sustainably and in PNG. At the moment we are only doing it for Govt and their money, that is sure to end in tears.
Perth then Christchurch then club 20 in a decade time either Adelaide Bears, PNG in Port Moresby or Qlnd somewhere if no one else is viable.
That gives the game a very solid 20 team comp.
21 and 22 are much longer term projects and where PNG and Melbourne2 could come in, if the work starts a decade before we get there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look at Melbourne, we put a team there trying to build it from the top down and the work is starting 30 years later.. we shouldn't do that in PNG , we should build up the pathways first! Get them producing first graders first!
Don't you think PERTH red?
Totally agree, I wished theyd have done the same here. If theyd have supported us to keep growing what we started in 2012 Perth would be a walk in now and this nonsense with bears wouldnt even be considered.

Same for PNG, start now, let them build with our support and have them ready for a decades time to have a proper PNG club based in port Moresby with 100% PNG players. Theyve got ahead start, theyve got the Hunters and their kids are showing to be competitive. What we need there is much stronger clubs at all levels and much better elite pathway programs for the best kids. They've got the numbers, they just need the quality.

You could argue the same for Christchurch but probably less timeframe needed.

Our lack of long term vision and strategy and investment to go with it is a blight on the game.

Canard

Immortal
You'd think given the level of avg wage over there it wouldnt cost much to make digicell cup a FT competition, relatively speaking?
Imprve that comp, imprve their facilities and crowds, get Foxtel screening 2 or 3 games a week from there.
Get another Qlnd cup team in from other part of PNG, get elite kids teams in the qlnd comps,
get all qlnd NRL clubs to offer 3 train and trial places to PNG players, salary cap exempt. Bingo!
Mate, you've been discussing TV rights just as much as anyone.

To think Foxtel is going to screen 2 or 3 games of PNG local footy a week, is so far fetched it's not funny.

Canard

Immortal
Until the country of PNG has a sustainable economy, this won't be sustainable.

Unfortunately PNG is generations away from this point, and likely will never achieve that level of wealth and prosperity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate, you've been discussing TV rights just as much as anyone.

To think Foxtel is going to screen 2 or 3 games of PNG local footy a week, is so far fetched it's not funny.
Theyre showing all 6 games a week of SL this year. Theres 24 hours day 7 days a week to fill on the NRL channel.
If you got PNG comp up to a decent FT standard in front of big crowds why not? Even it was just Kayo filler. Have you seen some of the sht that gets covered on there?

Canard

Immortal
Theyre showing all 6 games a week of SL this year. Theres 24 hours day 7 days a week to fill on the NRL channel.
If you got PNG comp up to a decent FT standard in front of big crowds why not? Even it was just Kayo filler. Have you seen some of the sht that gets covered on there?
English Superleague is a professional competition, that's broadcast by local UK TV networks. They are just literally showing a satellite feed.

That's not the same as producing and broadcasting an amateur competition in a country with extreme poverty. Regardless, there just wouldn't be anywhere near the demand to justify that sort of cost outlay. It's so far away from the realms of possibility that I suspect you are shit stirring.

If by some miracle they turned into a RL charity organisation, surely the QCup and NSW Cup would be a more obvious choice to fill the gap.

King hit

Coach
Until the country of PNG has a sustainable economy, this won't be sustainable.

Unfortunately PNG is generations away from this point, and likely will never achieve that level of wealth and prosperity.
When I tell people this they respond by telling me the team will be based in NQL to avoid this. A team representing another country playing in a region of cowboy patriots sounds like a good idea haha

Perth Red

Post Whore
English Superleague is a professional competition, that's broadcast by local UK TV networks. They are just literally showing a satellite feed.

That's not the same as producing and broadcasting an amateur competition in a country with extreme poverty. Regardless, there just wouldn't be anywhere near the demand to justify that sort of cost outlay. It's so far away from the realms of possibility that I suspect you are shit stirring.

If by some miracle they turned into a RL charity organisation, surely the QCup and NSW Cup would be a more obvious choice to fill the gap.
Im suggesting that if digicell cup was brought up to a decent FT standard in decent facilities in front of decent crowds then Fox would show it. Production etc could be done by PNG tv or NRL itself. Again this is where money would be better spent to improve Rl in PNG and, PNG generally.

I remember we used to get French RL way back in the early 90's on uk tv. It was pretty small stuff but great late night viewing with Alex Murphy commentating. no reason a decent PNG comp couldnt be shown on Kayo in years to come. I mean theyve got hot dog eating on there right now!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Queensland Cup has its own streaming service.

Even NRLWA! Its 2024 not 1994! Production of games is a totally new and much cheaper proposition in this day and age.

Brian potter

First Grade
Im suggesting that if digicell cup was brought up to a decent FT standard in decent facilities in front of decent crowds then Fox would show it. Production etc could be done by PNG tv or NRL itself. Again this is where money would be better spent to improve Rl in PNG and, PNG generally.
100%.

the standard of play is actually pretty good and exciting. Very attack oriented as they love a offload or 2 and love to throw the ball around.
I remember we used to get French RL way back in the early 90's on uk tv. It was pretty small stuff but great late night viewing with Alex Murphy commentating. no reason a decent PNG comp couldnt be shown on Kayo in years to come. I mean theyve got hot dog eating on there right now!
I think I remember this back in the day around the early 90’s on sky. Think it was either Eurosport or screensport remember watching it before going to school.

happy days.

Even NRLWA! Its 2024 not 1994! Production of games is a totally new and much cheaper proposition in this day and age.

Does NRLWA broadcast all of its matches live on its own streaming service?

QPlus broadcasts every Queensland Cup match, plus all of the junior competitions.

From what I can see NRLWA only has one match broadcast on NITV.

mikail-eagle

Bench

23 January 2024
For immediate release
DIGICEL EXXONMOBIL CUP REFEREES RETURN TO PRESEASON
The Port Moresby based Digicel ExxonMobil Cup match officials returned to training last week in preparation for the 2024 season with their program being overseen by former NRL Referee Tony Archer, PNG National Rugby League Competition (PNG NRLC) Referee Manager Gabriel Peter and newly appointed Strength and Conditioner Simon Gabisini.
Archer indicated “the program has been designed to educate and develop the referees’ fitness levels, technical skills, game understanding and decision making in readiness for the season start in April.”
“This program will be extended to include the Digicel ExxonMobil Cup match officials based outside of Port Moresby in February, ensuring that the standards and development opportunities are given to all officials,” Archer said.
The training is part of the NRLC Strategic Plan under the Coaching and Officiating pillar to upskill the level of refereeing in the Digicel ExxonMobil Cup.
Currently the referees are training four days per week until the season starts.

mikail-eagle

Bench

30 January 2024
For immediate release
2024 DIGICEL EXXONMOBIL CUP FOOTBALL CONFERENCE
The 2024 Digicel ExxonMobil Cup Football Conference will see the 12 competing franchises come together over the next five days in Port Moresby.
The Papua New Guinea National Rugby League Competition (PNG NRLC) has specifically designed the conference to provide the clubs with the greatest opportunities to prepare for the season start on 13 April.
The conference has three focus groups - the Franchise Managers, the Head Coaches and the Medical Trainers.
The Franchise Managers will have the opportunity to work directly with the PNG NRLC team in ensuring compliance and governance of their clubs is at the forefront of the collaborative approach to the season.
The 12 club Head Coaches will gain a thorough understanding on how the games are expected to be officiated. They will also be provided with practical sessions in analysing performances and developing session planning from Joe Grima who is the Manager for Coaching Development High Performance.
A real focus for the game is player safety, welfare and medical treatment. The Medical Trainers will receive education and training from Matthew Harrison from Australia whose organisation, AFS Group, provides the identical training to the NRL. The candidates must successfully complete the two-day intense course to receive the first ever Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) recognised accreditation as a Sport Medical Trainer – Rugby League.
“The timing of this conference is important as it allows a greater opportunity in the early part of our preseason to work together closely with our clubs to lift standards in player safety, governance, compliance, player development and coaching education in the continual pursuit to improve professionalism,” Mr Leith Isaac, General Manager of the PNG NRLC, said.
The Chief Executive Officer of PNGRFL, Mr Stanley Hondina, explained, ‘the game’s administration is committed to seeing those involved in Rugby League be given the best opportunity to grow and develop. It is our obligation to provide the tools, expertise and create the right environment for that and this conference is one example. We are utilising the leading experts from Australia and within our organisation to deliver ‘best practice’ supporting the delivery of one of the pillars of ‘Club Professionalism’ as captured in our PNG NRLC Strategic Plan.”
“Performance aspect of our game is the focus for this season as we strengthen the pathway/competition piece. We will focus on building good coaches, strength and conditioning and medical trainers who are to the prescribed international standards,” Hondina said.
The conference will run from Wednesday beginning with the Franchise Managers, then followed by the Head Coaches and conclude with the Medical Trainers on Sunday.

mikail-eagle

Bench

Day 1 of the 2024 Digicel ExxonMobil Cup Football Conference commenced today in Port Moresby with the Franchise Managers' Conference which saw all 12 club Franchise Managers attend.
It is a great opportunity to work together with our clubs to make the 2024 season a successful one.
424747619_724768539639041_3510233248680147436_n.jpg

mikail-eagle

Bench

Day 2 of the 2024 Digicel ExxonMobil Cup Football Conference has concluded which saw PNG NRL Bid CEO Mr Andrew Hill and former PNG Kumul Head Coach, East New Britian Governor Hon. Micheal Marum address Franchise Managers and Head Coaches from the 12 clubs at a dinner this evening.
Prior to the dinner, the Franchise Managers continued their preparation for the 2024 season with PNG NRLC in the final day of the Franchise Managers' Conference
Asila Waghi Tumbe Franchise Manager Mr Amos Kaupa expressed his gratitude for attending the conference as he takes on the role of the club's new Franchise Manager.
"For all Franchise Managers to be in dialogue with PNG NRLC to discuss important issues that affects the game itself, the administration, compliance, processes and players' welfare, it's been very encouraging, and it's been a good exposure. It's given me the confidence to look forward to the 2024 season," Kaupa said.
Another taking on the role of a new Franchise Manager is Ms Vasiti Meles of PRK Mendi Muruks.
"My experience for the past two days was awesome, I learnt alot of new things and what is required of a Franchise Manager," Meles said.
Tomorrow the Head Coaches' Conference will commence.

425358398_725485879567307_5725976526830950120_n.jpg

Latest posts